Manchester - Llandudno 25 April 2015 featuring the Inaugural Hill Climb Sausage Challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
And what am I supposed to do with these 'GPX' files? Eat them the night before, stuff them in my ear, or print them off and carry them in case I have to join the bears in the woods?

You can use the sun (there will be sun) to navigate. That or use the moss growing on the north side of tree trunks like the scouts do. You're job pre-ride is to get your "colleague who shall not be named" on the ride as he is choosing to ignore the PMs

Edit: joking aside, everyone on the ride needs to have some means of navigating the route unless they have arranged to stick, limpet like, to someone who can navigate (TMN is my limpet for the day). At the least that should be the turn by turn routesheet that can be printed off ridewithgps which whilst a bit crap is better than nothing

Last edited:
You better have sorted things with the weather gods otherwise I'll sit behind you whingeing all the way (from the Eureka that is, I'll deputise Rich from Manchester).

Freds Dad

Veteran
I have good news and bad news. I have someone to cover my on call but only from midday which means I won't make the meet at Marbury.
My next plan is to ask SWMBO to drive me to Eureka Cafe and ride from there. What are the arrive and leave times for Eureka so I can work out if I can make it.

@nickyboy can you please resend me the GPX files as I Have "mislaid" them.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I have good news and bad news. I have someone to cover my on call but only from midday which means I won't make the meet at Marbury.
My next plan is to ask SWMBO to drive me to Eureka Cafe and ride from there. What are the arrive and leave times for Eureka so I can work out if I can make it.

@nickyboy can you please resend me the GPX files as I Have "mislaid" them.

PM sent as I would suggest somewhere between Marbury and Eureka as that stretch is very nice so you should ride some of it if possible

Wobblers

Euthermic
Just thought I'd bump this back onto page 1

35 confirmed riders who now have the ride notes and gpx files (although we never have more than about 28 what with folk starting and stopping at different points). About 20 who have expressed interest and either haven't replied to the PM or have replied and are struggling a bit with injuries, illness etc.

Some nice signs of Spring in Cheshire now, hawthorn hedges greening up, daffs out, cherry blossom. Should be verdant by April 25

I'm sure the weather is going to improve in the next few weeks too............

I certainly hope so given that it's precipitating down here in the Wirral and tomorrow's forecast suggests that my commute will be ...interesting. If not I shall joining @Crackle with the whinging (or staying in bed! :whistle:)

Wobblers

Euthermic
Good choice !

All the hipsters are starting at the Eureka Cafe - @Crackle , @User3094 , @Rickshaw Phil, @McWobble, @mike3121 etc., (& perhaps @The Brewer ?).

I'll be starting there too :smile: , replete with my untrendy, baggy shorts :smile: & 35 year old bike.

Hipster? Me?! How very dare you! No whisky for you :tongue:

mike3121

I have got myself a new bike,CANNONDALE Synapse Claris, this will probably the first serious ride I will be using it on due to what the weather is looking like and work also gets in the way.
I will try to get out on it a few time before hand to practice using clipless pedals which I have never used before.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I have got myself a new bike,CANNONDALE Synapse Claris, this will probably the first serious ride I will be using it on due to what the weather is looking like and work also gets in the way.
I will try to get out on it a few time before hand to practice using clipless pedals which I have never used before.

Very wise to have a good few rides beforehand.

A 100 mile ride is not the occasion to use clipless for the first time.

If you are still a bit hit and miss come ride time, just use platforms, you will do just as well.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I will try to get as many rides as I can leading upto it. Im only doing from Eureka to Llandudno

Nice bike. Just get a bit of practice in clipping in and unclipping and you'll be fine. From Eureka there's a bit of stopping and starting at road junctions and traffic lights on the A548 but not much. Once onto the NCN5 you're away apart from a few of these fellas that will probably need an unclip (I just go for it and hope to squeeze through)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQunJrKVKfMmP9yYPFh4at85IR982-KHmYPeXshEH8NCPW7KA7RAA.jpg

Top Bottom