Manchester - Llandudno 25 April 2015 featuring the Inaugural Hill Climb Sausage Challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gam001

Über Member
Just seen this...please could you put me down as a "maybe", to confirm nearer the time.
(I know it's my mum and dad's wedding anniversary on that day...don't know if they're doing anything for it...)
Thanks,
Gaz :thumbsup:

Hicky

Guru
I'm up for it.....I'll probably ride from Rochdale to Mcr.

Shadowfax

You've got 5 months to work something out Pubby, that should be enough time for even you:whistle:
I'm working on LD to join us too!

If you & LD are going to do it, I'll do my utmost to be there. I've done very little cycling this year . . . Same as last year . . . And the previous year. Still, suitably fortified :smile: , I'm sure that I can manage it.[/QUOTE]
I believe LD has expressed a passing interest in this, pints per mile as usual ?

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
If you & LD are going to do it, I'll do my utmost to be there. I've done very little cycling this year . . . Same as last year . . . And the previous year. Still, suitably fortified :smile: , I'm sure that I can manage it.
I believe LD has expressed a passing interest in this, pints per mile as usual ?[/QUOTE]

You're welcome to stop off at as many pubs as you can find on the way so long as you can navigate the route yourselves when you're left behind. We finish off at a licensed fish and chip restaurant, after which a fair number will head to the pub across the road. This is beginning to sound like a drinking jolly with a bit of cycling thrown in on the side

doughnut

Veteran
Quite interested in joining you for this, but I'm a bit of a newbie so not sure if I'm up to it. Coming from Chorley so I would get the train down to Piccadilly and go the whole distance. I'm 51 and I've only been riding a bike for 6 months or so, and never ridden in a group before. Furthest I've ridden so far is about 30 miles ( http://www.strava.com/activities/224330837 ) at 13.6mph, though there are some hills in there and I wasn't particularly tired after that. I'm planning on increasing distance through the spring, and this ride would be a good target. My reading of the elevation graph is that if I was comfortable at about 45-50 miles, then its plain sailing for the second half of the route. Am I right or will the distance kick me in the gut regardless of any hills?

Can you put me down as tentative, and I will work on increasing my distance and pace before I get there. I'm a bit wary of being the slow bloke at the back because I wont be enjoying it if I'm holding everyone up.

What do you think - am I too much of a lightweight to do this ride?

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Quite interested in joining you for this, but I'm a bit of a newbie so not sure if I'm up to it. Coming from Chorley so I would get the train down to Piccadilly and go the whole distance. I'm 51 and I've only been riding a bike for 6 months or so, and never ridden in a group before. Furthest I've ridden so far is about 30 miles ( http://www.strava.com/activities/224330837 ) at 13.6mph, though there are some hills in there and I wasn't particularly tired after that. I'm planning on increasing distance through the spring, and this ride would be a good target. My reading of the elevation graph is that if I was comfortable at about 45-50 miles, then its plain sailing for the second half of the route. Am I right or will the distance kick me in the gut regardless of any hills?

Can you put me down as tentative, and I will work on increasing my distance and pace before I get there. I'm a bit wary of being the slow bloke at the back because I wont be enjoying it if I'm holding everyone up.

What do you think - am I too much of a lightweight to do this ride?

I'll pop your name down for it, maybe it'll be a good target to aim for. You're quite right that the second half of the ride is very flat. Riding the best part of 100 miles in a day isn't for the unprepared however and I would suggest you increase the miles you are comfortable with over the next few months just to make sure that it will be an enjoyable day out for you. Don't worry about holding folk up. We will naturally split into faster and slower groups during the day so nobody should be worried about holding others up.
Worst case scenario, if anyone is struggling with the distance and not enjoying the ride, we go past loads of train stations from Chester onwards that take you back to Manchester.

To give you a fair idea, miles 15-45 on the ride are about the same as the 30 mile ride you did. So you have to think about 15 flat miles before this and about 50 flat miles after this. Bit of practice and plenty of cake on the day and you should be ok. Folk will help you along

Last edited:
OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Just contacted the fish and chips place in Llandudno. They have seating for 32 so the way the expressions of interest are going we'll be racing each other along the Promenade to get a seat

And here's the menu....try to form an orderly queue

Fish
Cod & Chips
£7.60
Small Cod & Chips
£6.60
Haddock& Chips
£7.60
Large Hake & Chips
£7.90
Large Plaice & Chips
(skin on) £7.90
Breaded Fish
Breaded Plaice & Chips
(skin on) £7.00
Whitby Wholetail Scampi & chips
£6.60
Fishcake & Chips
£5.60

All our main meals are served with small chips

menu-inner.png

Main Courses
Holland’s Steak & Kidney Pie with Chips & Peas and a splash of gravy
£7.50
Holland’s Steak & Kidney Pudding with Chips + gravy
£6.50
Jumbo Sausage & Chips
£5.30
Chicken Breast & Chips
£6.60
Chicken Bites (6) & Chips £6.30
Succulent Chicken Breast pieces in light batter
Burgers – made from prime cuts of beef with tomato or chilli relish and chips in a white bap
Beef Burger & Chips
£5.70
Cheese Burger & Chips
£5.95
Double Beef Burger & Chips
£6.50
Double Cheese Burger & Chips £6.75

Chips not wanted with the above £1.30 deducted
Chilli Con Carne with Rice & Chips made from Welsh beef mince with hot chillies
£8.20
Chicken Curry with Rice & Chips – Medium hot curry “Fruity & Spicy”
£8.40
menu-inner.png
fishtran-chips1.jpg

Cod Special Set Mealfor the smaller appetite
A small fillet of Battered Cod with chips & homemade mushy
peas and a pot of tea or a cup of coffee

No Substitutes £8.60
menu-inner.png

Vegetarian Menu
1/4lb Vegetable Cake & Chips in a white bap with mayo or garlic mayo
£5.70

Plain Omelette & Chips

£5.40
Cheese Omelette & Chips

£6.10
Vegetarian Curry with Rice & chips
£7.40

menu-inner.png
Extras & Side Orders
Homemade Mushy Peas
(v) £1.75 Bread & Butter £0.60
Curry Sauce
(v) £1.50 Buttered Bap £0.95
Gravy
(v) £1.50 Boiled Rice (v) £3.00
Large Bowl of Chips
(v) £3.20 Heinz Beans £1.70

Attachments

• menu-inner.png
    menu-inner.png
    598 bytes · Views: 29
  • menu-inner.png
    menu-inner.png
    598 bytes · Views: 26
  • menu-inner.png
    menu-inner.png
    598 bytes · Views: 28
Last edited:

doughnut

Veteran
I'll pop your name down for it, maybe it'll be a good target to aim for. You're quite right that the second half of the ride is very flat. Riding the best part of 100 miles in a day isn't for the unprepared however and I would suggest you increase the miles you are comfortable with over the next few months just to make sure that it will be an enjoyable day out for you. Don't worry about holding folk up. We will naturally split into faster and slower groups during the day so nobody should be worried about holding others up.
Worst case scenario, if anyone is struggling with the distance and not enjoying the ride, we go past loads of train stations from Chester onwards that take you back to Manchester.

To give you a fair idea, miles 15-45 on the ride are about the same as the 30 mile ride you did. So you have to think about 15 flat miles before this and about 50 flat miles after this. Bit of practice and plenty of cake on the day and you should be ok. Folk will help you along
Thanks for this. I will add 15 miles onto the front of my route and have a few goes at that over Christmas, then extend it further in the New Year. Looking forward to it.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Thanks for this. I will add 15 miles onto the front of my route and have a few goes at that over Christmas, then extend it further in the New Year. Looking forward to it.

Sound advice from the ride leader.

Given the benign nature of the latter part of the route, I would say the ride is more time in the saddle than an aerobic challenge.

So if I were you, I would bias my training towards hours on the bike rather than distance on the road.

doughnut

Veteran
So if I were you, I would bias my training towards hours on the bike rather than distance on the road.
Yes, makes sense - if I can ride for 4 hours in the morning then have my lunch and do it again in the afternoon, I think I should be good. Right now, the longest I've sat in the saddle is under 2.5 hours so I have a way to go yet. Looks like its going to be pretty cold tomorrow, but if there is not much ice around I will try for 4 hours.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
@Pennine-Paul and I recently did the Lancashire cycleway southern loop on fixies. We have both completed many rides over 100 miles. We under estimated just how painful 50 miles on pancake flat roads can be, the headwind didn't help and added maybe an extra hour onto the days ride.

subaqua

What’s the point

or take you to the end so you can still have fish n chips n beer

Just contacted the fish and chips place in Llandudno. They have seating for 32 so the way the expressions of interest are going we'll be racing each other along the Promenade to get a seat

And here's the menu....try to form an orderly queue

Fish
Cod & Chips
£7.60
Small Cod & Chips
£6.60
Haddock& Chips
£7.60
Large Hake & Chips
£7.90
Large Plaice & Chips
(skin on) £7.90
Breaded Fish
Breaded Plaice & Chips
(skin on) £7.00
Whitby Wholetail Scampi & chips
£6.60
Fishcake & Chips
£5.60

All our main meals are served with small chips

menu-inner.png

Main Courses
Holland’s Steak & Kidney Pie with Chips & Peas and a splash of gravy
£7.50
Holland’s Steak & Kidney Pudding with Chips + gravy
£6.50
Jumbo Sausage & Chips £5.30
Chicken Breast & Chips
£6.60
Chicken Bites (6) & Chips £6.30
Succulent Chicken Breast pieces in light batter
Burgers – made from prime cuts of beef with tomato or chilli relish and chips in a white bap
Beef Burger & Chips
£5.70
Cheese Burger & Chips
£5.95
Double Beef Burger & Chips £6.50
Double Cheese Burger & Chips £6.75

Chips not wanted with the above £1.30 deducted
Chilli Con Carne with Rice & Chips made from Welsh beef mince with hot chillies
£8.20
Chicken Curry with Rice & Chips – Medium hot curry “Fruity & Spicy”
£8.40
menu-inner.png
fishtran-chips1.jpg

Cod Special Set Mealfor the smaller appetite
A small fillet of Battered Cod with chips & homemade mushy
peas and a pot of tea or a cup of coffee

No Substitutes £8.60
menu-inner.png

Vegetarian Menu
1/4lb Vegetable Cake & Chips in a white bap with mayo or garlic mayo

£5.70

Plain Omelette & Chips

£5.40
Cheese Omelette & Chips
£6.10
Vegetarian Curry with Rice & chips
£7.40

menu-inner.png
Extras & Side Orders
Homemade Mushy Peas
(v) £1.75 Bread & Butter £0.60
Curry Sauce
(v) £1.50 Buttered Bap £0.95
Gravy
(v) £1.50 Boiled Rice (v) £3.00
Large Bowl of Chips
(v) £3.20 Heinz Beans £1.70

a splash of gravy !!!

a tidal wave please !!

this is going to be fun

Attachments

• menu-inner.png
    menu-inner.png
    598 bytes · Views: 30
  • menu-inner.png
    menu-inner.png
    598 bytes · Views: 26
  • menu-inner.png
    menu-inner.png
    598 bytes · Views: 28

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Yes, makes sense - if I can ride for 4 hours in the morning then have my lunch and do it again in the afternoon, I think I should be good. Right now, the longest I've sat in the saddle is under 2.5 hours so I have a way to go yet. Looks like its going to be pretty cold tomorrow, but if there is not much ice around I will try for 4 hours.

Sounds good.

You will be riding with some very experienced guys - and gals - who will assist you in keeping a steady pace, which can be hard on your own.

I've not ridden with your lot, but I have ridden with riders of a similar calibre.

I was surprised by the distance riding knowledge I picked up just by observing how they do it, and by me doing more listening than talking.

For example, experienced riders seem to know instinctively where and when it's wise to push on a bit to gain extra miles without putting in too much extra effort.

Letting others do the thinking also makes for a more relaxing time for you.

Top Bottom