Manchester - Llandudno 25 April 2015 featuring the Inaugural Hill Climb Sausage Challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
On the topic of speed, my group do a ride from Wearside to York which is similar to this one.

Our ride clocks about 86 miles and is also relatively easy in terms of gradients, it really is just time in the saddle.

Last year the elapsed time was about 11 hours, with possibly nine hours or just under riding.

We had elevenses which went on for ages at Thorpe Thewles, and a more disciplined lunch/early tea at Northallerton, plus a lot of shorter stops for sweeties, mechanicals, etc.

Moving average speed was about 10mph.

The group ride hybrids and mountain bikes, the only drop bar bike was ridden by an experienced audaxer who only comes along to make sure we don't make a total balls of it.

We did get a bit behind schedule, so those who needed to be in York for a certain time cracked on for the last 20 or so miles.

Not quite every man for himself, but I expect something similar will happen on Nick's ride.

mikeee

Ok, now starting to get excited about this ride and it's still nearly 3 months away!!!
1) quite an impressive turnout, so far!, 54, even more nearer the time?
2) a chippy at the end of a big ride, what more can you say?
3) a big hill to ride up on a fixed gear bike at the end of a big ride!
4) just booked my train ticket back to Manchester but nowhere on the online booking did it ask about cycle reservations? Booked with Arriva Wales. Any ideas, turn up and wing it?

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Ok, now starting to get excited about this ride and it's still nearly 3 months away!!!
1) quite an impressive turnout, so far!, 54, even more nearer the time?
2) a chippy at the end of a big ride, what more can you say?
3) a big hill to ride up on a fixed gear bike at the end of a big ride!
4) just booked my train ticket back to Manchester but nowhere on the online booking did it ask about cycle reservations? Booked with Arriva Wales. Any ideas, turn up and wing it?

Phone the number on this webiste
http://www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk/Bicycles/

mikeee

Thanks, just rang and got my bike booked on the train so all is good. Booked on the 19:42 from Llandudno back to Manchester so depending on the ride arrival time and the sausage hill challenge the chippy might not feature!!!

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Thanks, just rang and got my bike booked on the train so all is good. Booked on the 19:42 from Llandudno back to Manchester so depending on the ride arrival time and the sausage hill challenge the chippy might not feature!!!

Those on early trains back get a dispensation from me to be part of the "Push on from Eureka, maybe don't stop at Bike Hub Rhyl for a cuppa" group. 1942 train means you need to leave the Chippy/Hill Climb area about 1915 (3.5 miles to the station) so I reckon if you can get to Llandudno about1815 that'll give plenty of time for fish and chips

BTW, who is Des?

mikeee

Manchester - Llandudno 25 April 2015 featuring the inaugural Hill Climb Sausage Challenge.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Des is the epitome of cool. This is how he looks having climbed Ditchling beacon on fixed. Pic by @Tim Hall.

Des.JPG

david k

Hi
I need to book the same train but get off at newton

Edit, I was hoping to get the one earlier

david k

Hi
Manchester Piccadilly (98 miles) 0900
Altrincham (88 miles) about 0945
Marbury Country Park (73 miles) about 1100
Eureka Café (50 miles) about 1330
Bike Hub Rhyl (18 miles) about 1630

Travelodge and Premier Inn seem popular choices but try to snag the cheaper price if possible. Travelodge is £40 discouonted
Just thinking, are these the times we meet or leave ? If we leave eureka at 2pm that gives me 4 hours and a bit to do the last 50 miles, may be a stretch for me. I could get the later train or push on, if I'm only, meeting at eureka seems pointless to push on, I want to ride with others hence joining you all ^_^

Top Bottom