FNRttC Manchester-Morecambe FNRttC 16th October 2015.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

saoirse50

Veteran
What you do then is operate the alarm lever on the inside of the carriage with the bike compartment on the Pendolino as I did some years ago returning on the last train from Scotland with a tired 11 year old daughter, plus two bikes and full camping kit after a four week tour of the Western Isles and Highlands. Suddenly a whole load of folk appear out of nowhere from a deserted Euston at past midnight, some of whom threaten you with a fine for "unauthorised operation of the emergency lever". Well, try to threaten you with a fine. Then back down quickly when faced with the wrath of someone who has traversed the Highlands and Western Isles with an 11 year old, in all weathers, carried camping kit, bikes and said 11 year old on several occasions up and down a few unexpected off road diversions, and after a few hundred miles, and an horrendous train journey, is then told the last five miles of the journey home might be delayed because someone can't be arsed to open a door.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
What you do then is operate the alarm lever on the inside of the carriage with the bike compartment on the Pendolino as I did some years ago returning on the last train from Scotland with a tired 11 year old daughter, plus two bikes and full camping kit after a four week tour of the Western Isles and Highlands. Suddenly a whole load of folk appear out of nowhere from a deserted Euston at past midnight, some of whom threaten you with a fine for "unauthorised operation of the emergency lever". Well, try to threaten you with a fine. Then back down quickly when faced with the wrath of someone who has traversed the Highlands and Western Isles with an 11 year old, in all weathers, carried camping kit, bikes and said 11 year old on several occasions up and down a few unexpected off road diversions, and after a few hundred miles, and an horrendous train journey, is then told the last five miles of the journey home might be delayed because someone can't be arsed to open a door.
Post of the year

OP
OP
Andrew Br

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
A further list:-

Adam B
Andrew Br
Adrian C
Charlie B
Gordon P
Jane D
John S
Katie S
Kim W
Marcus C
Mary L
Mick D
Pete L
Rebecca O
Sonia W
Steve McG
Steve R
Stu A
Tacey L

I'm off on the (Not) The Friday's Tour tomorrow so I shan't be able to update the list or, likely, reply to e-mails but don't let that put you off signing up for the ride; I'll update everything when I get back :thumbsup:.

kimble

Veteran
but you need to be careful of the deraillieur, and especially the hanger, if the bike is dropped on that and it breaks you need a new bike.

The trick here is to unbolt the hanger from the frame, and tape/cable-tie the derailleur+hanger to the inside of the seatstay.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Just seen this and, given the issues with getting a bike on a Pendelino there is the option of going to Leeds and then changing to Manchester. I'm not sure what the train company policy would be to Leeds as I've never ridden it. However, the service from Leeds to Manchester (Northern Powerhouse anyone?) is fast and frequent and there's no need to book a bike space (or at least I've been on this service in the past and there have been plenty of bikes onboard in a rather haphazard fashion)

Changing at Sheffield may also work but the Sheffield- Manchester service isn't anything like as good but you may be lucky with a short wait at Sheffield

saoirse50

Veteran
I realised a while back that I have a wedding on the 17th...don't think I can do the ride and get back in time so I'm out unfortunately. Till next year, then.

frank9755

Cyclist
I'm not going to make it either this year; while it would be good to see the new Birmingham station, it looks like I've left it too late to get the trains to work.

OP
OP
Andrew Br

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
I'm doing the reccy this Friday night, 2nd October.
If anyone wants to come along (and I would like company) then please let me know.
It'll be the same as last year; depart Albert Square at midnight and ride the intended route, stopping at the McDonalds in Blackburn for a coffee and something to eat.
I'm currently intending to ride back to Preston for a train home but we'll see how that goes; I may have had enough and get a train from Lancaster.
The weather promises to be good.

Last edited:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I'm doing the reccy this Friday night, 2nd October.
If anyone wants to come along (and I would like company) then please let me know.
It'll be the same as last year; depart Albert Square at midnight and ride the intended route, stopping at the McDonalds in Blackburn for a coffee and soemthing to eat.
I'm currently intending to ride back to Preston for a train home but we'll see how that goes; I may have had enough and get a train from Lancaster.
The weather promises to be good.

I'm on the lash in Manchester on Friday night so if you get hit on the head by a half-eaten kebab be sure to say hello

No problem at all, we have all night!
I will probably meet you at Whitefield or Bury to save me riding in and then out of Manchester. If my legs feel up to it I will cycle back in the morning.

Top Bottom