FNRttC Manchester-Morecambe FNRttC 16th October 2015.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Andrew Br

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
No problem at all, we have all night!
I will probably meet you at Whitefield or Bury to save me riding in and then out of Manchester. If my legs feel up to it I will cycle back in the morning.

The "we have all night" bit is quite important; to do the reccy justice, we need to ride at about group speed so that I know what we might expect on the night. In reality, it'll probably mean a long stop at the McDonalds and an early arrival at Morecambe.

I've PM'ed you the route that I'm taking out of MCR.
How about meeting at Slattery's ~ 0.30 or Bury town hall ~15 minutes later ?

I'm planning to ride back to Preston, straight down the A6. I doubt that I could be bothered with going any further but, if I do, I'll continue on the A6.

OP
OP
Andrew Br

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
So far so cold !
We've reached Blackburn McDonalds where we are the only customers.
The uphills have been warming, the downhills frigid. Mustn't grumble though, it's a clear night and there's no wind. Fingers crossed for two weeks time.
We'll be putting on all our layers before we leave.
More tomorrow.

OP
OP
Andrew Br

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Morecambe McDonalds: dellzeqq will remember it well.
That was cold and hard work. It didn't help that I got us lost/my Garmin had a strop. It's given me pause for thought and I shall pass those thoughts on when I'm home and have considered them in more detail. And when I've warmed the frig up.
It's been a long night and I have to decide whether to ride back to Lancaster or Preston for a train.

I got on the train at Lancaster and then the service was terminated because the air ambulance needed to get on the line near Eccles, so I cycled home from Preston as it was a little warmer, I even removed a few layers when the temp got above 6 degrees C!

OP
OP
Andrew Br

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Good effort Martin :notworthy:.
After my "breakfast", I had to wait ages for a train that was a train and not a bus and, when it did arrive, it was standing room only. For some reason, I didn't ask the people in the bike space to move ......................
They announced that the over-crowding had been caused by the delays at Eccles.
I think my total for the evening, including getting home from the station, was 105 miles.
More later, perhaps much later.

C'mon England.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Morecambe McDonalds: dellzeqq will remember it well.
That was cold and hard work. It didn't help that I got us lost/my Garmin had a strop. It's given me pause for thought and I shall pass those thoughts on when I'm home and have considered them in more detail. And when I've warmed the frig up.
It's been a long night and I have to decide whether to ride back to Lancaster or Preston for a train.
Two thoughts (from the been there done that perspective!): (a) Paper maps/route sheet in audax style are always a good idea (b) Dish out GPXs to those you trust to have them.

StuAff

Chapeau gentlemen!

OP
OP
Andrew Br

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Some thoughts from Friday's reccy:-
I may have to move the start since there's a lot of construction work going on around Albert Square (Metrolink, the arrogant bastards). No doubt part of the chaos was due to the ring of steal* around the Tory Party conference. I'll have another look when they've crawled back under their stones. I checked out Victoria Station and it offers lots of space, a bar plus it's en-route. I'll come back to you on this and I'll provide maps/routes to get there if I do have to move the start.
We didn't stop in Bury but I nodded in Alan's direction as we rode past. We shall stop on the FNRttC for a few minutes.
I took a different route to last year with the aim of including more pretty lanes. It was a mistake; they all look the same in the dark so we'll stick to last year's route. Keep it simple.
If we're struggling or running late, we'll make extensive use of the A6 after Garstang; it's flat, straight and there's very little traffic early in the morning.
It was very cold when Martin and I rode. It was clear going over over the moors before Blackburn and then it got misty and damp after Ribchester.
The hills to Longridge were as I expected but I found it surprisingly difficult afterwards; I had thought that the terrain was more “flowing”.
Make no mistake, this is a difficult ride and the weather could make it even more so.
I need a responsible adult to take over the ride lead after Pickup Bank and take the group to the McDonalds stop. I'll wait for the tail end and take them there. Those hills are really going to string us out and there's no point in re-grouping high up on the moors; we'll, likely, just get cold plus a staggered arrival at the McDs will help avoid queueing.
Also on the subject of food, I'll organise a poll about breakfast. Do we want to use the friendly cafe with the crap food that we've gone to in the past or should we ride to Lancaster Wetherspoons (after the obligatory photos with Eric on the sea-front) and eat there ?
Lights. Bring your big guns. It's very dark in the lanes and we'll be out for a long time so make sure that your batteries are fully charged. I hesitate to give lighting advice to FNRttCers but I strongly recommend a second front light and to turn your big lights off when you're going uphill slowly; it'll help to save the batteries. My lights did OK (got me back to Preston in the mist) but I'm seriously considering fitting a dyno hub to the Disco for this ride since dawn will be even later. Don't forget that cold weather will reduce run times.
Clothes. Bring lots, you'll (probably) need them. Put them on before we start climbing so that the group isn't hanging around high up. Use zips for venting.
If the weather is truly vile, I have (unreccied) alternatives although we're still going to have to climb high onto the moors at some point.

Finally, many thanks to Martin for his excellent company and patience as I slowed him down on the hills and then proceeded to get us lost …........
I shall take a map next time.

*Deliberate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Andrew Br

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !

StuAff

Hopefully it won't be that grim up north next Friday. Any suggestions for pre-ride food?

Edit: BTW, I vote for 'spoons as I have a ticket back from Lancaster anyway.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Andrew Br

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Hopefully it won't be that grim up north next Friday. Any suggestions for pre-ride food?

Good question Stu.
Ideally I'd stay at home 'til the last possible minute and then ride out to the start but I've agreed to help Gordon P (that frail pensioner :stop:) find his way to the start. His train gets in at 22.00 IIRC so there is some time to pass before the ride starts.
I'm struggling to think of places to recommend. There are lots of good restaurants but I can't think of any where I'd be happy to leave my bike; I want a window seat and my bike in full view.
Let me do some research and I'll get back to you.
The decision on the start point may have some influence.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
It was very cold ......
The hills ...... I found it surprisingly difficult ...... the terrain was more “flowing”.
Make no mistake, this is a difficult ride and the weather could make it even more so.
Lights. Bring your big guns. It's very dark in the lanes and we'll be out for a long time so make sure that your batteries are fully charged....
Don't forget that cold weather will reduce run times.
Clothes. Bring lots, you'll (probably) need them.
If the weather is truly vile,.......we're still going to have to climb high onto the moors.....
There are cycling clubs, and there is The Fridays. Who else offers such a ride and - more importantly - has people in it that would happily lead such a ride as this?
Take a bow, @Andrew Br
And team - the above words of wisdom: read, mark, learn and inwardly digest.
Next year. I deffo want to do this ride, to show myself that I can.

StuAff

Good question Stu.
Ideally I'd stay at home 'til the last possible minute and then ride out to the start but I've agreed to help Gordon P (that frail pensioner :stop:) find his way to the start. His train gets in at 22.00 IIRC so there is some time to pass before the ride starts.
I'm struggling to think of places to recommend. There are lots of good restaurants but I can't think of any where I'd be happy to leave my bike; I want a window seat and my bike in full view.
Let me do some research and I'll get back to you.
The decision on the start point may have some influence.
I'm on the same train, joining it at Mordor Central.

Last edited:
Top Bottom