Manchester people on bikes......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The promotional video show that Lycra louts will still be safer using the road than now. I think the optional segregated cycle lane will be attractive to the utility cyclist who's only interested in getting to or from home or work safely and has no interest in Strava times.

It's not strava times, it's just dangerous as all folk move at different pace and you will be forced to go the same pace as the slowest, some idiots will get impatient.

There are much better routes into the city, Alexander Road being much better, but it's further west for those not willing to go a little further. I avoid Oxford/Wilmslow Road when cycling.

I commuted at a good pace, but not without consideration for others - part of the reason I never used Oxford Road, especially the Curry Mile. I've stopped commuting into Manchester as I was hit 3 times in a year, and the last time nearly left me paralysed. I'm in the car now. I'm only able to potter about now due to the damage done - I ride on the turbo, and a little bit along the canal or the coastal path in Wales. My cycling in traffic is finished. I don't trust anyone.

fossyant

Yet more and more cars are being forced into the city centre every few months. As they constantly remove car parks to build more and more overpriced apartments.

When I started working in the city centre 3 years ago, I parked about 15 minute cycle away, took it in my car and then cycled through the centre. The price was increase to that ABOVE city centre prices, and then later closed. I then rented a space from a friend who lived on the edge of Salford and cycled in. When he moved, I found a car park that was again closer into the city, about a 10 minute walk. 18 months ago it was £12 per week, within 12 months it had climbed to £27 per week! As more and more car parks closed, and this was getting full by 8am.

A few months ago, that too closed so that they can build apartments on it, 1 bed apartments for £900 pcm! There are now 600 cars from that car park alone that need to find more spaces.

Manchester need to increase the quantity of parking at the edges, as the current trend of allowing car parks on the edges to be removed in favour of more accomodation is what is forcing the cars into the city centre.

Previously I have been unable to use trains as I often work outside of the hours which the trains are running, thankfully, I have an understanding employer. Who has given me permission to work reduced hours (at the same salary), and plan shifts around train times. But I understand I am extremely lucky in that, but there are many that won't be lucky. Manchester housing is far too expensive, so many commute from cheaper surrounding areas, but then Manchesters policies make it difficult for those people to travel into the city, it's bizarre.

I'm with you there. I now drive, but park out near Hulme, despite my spinal injuries, it's been impossible to get a space near work, so I have a 15 minute walk ontop of the drive - I'm not complaining, it's an extra 30 mins gentle exercise. The public transport would involve nearly an hour's walk each way ontop of un-reliable trains. I'm only part time at the minute, but I've negotiated early starts, so I can finish about 4 and get home and ride after work off road or garage).

fossyant

I can't cope with that level of aggression on a daily basis. And aggression tends to result in irresponsible passes, which normally mean cutting in dangerously at pedestrian refuges or other pinch points.

This is why I've stopped cycling into Manchester ! It's actually less stressful to drive (yep shock horror) - turn up the radio, air con on, and go with the slow flow into town. I've had a fair share of drivers deliberately cutting you up when on the bike, and then give you verbal when you shout - phone using, coffee drinking, weed smoking).

In the last year, I had one driver clip me from the rear = broken ribs, and drove off, one on the wrong side of the road, and I ended up bonnet surfing, no damage as I flew off the bike braking so hard, then the right turner who nearly had me in nappies for the rest of my life.

I've never had any issues in the late evenings or weekends when I went out training outside of rush hour. It's the 'must get there at all costs' attitude of many drivers.

The 'Corridor' as it's known has been badly cobbled together for cyclists. I just think there will be collisions once the students are back.

U

User32269

I0000az_qtt7keOI.jpg

Siclo

Veteran
There are much better routes into the city, Alexander Road being much better,

If you mean Alexandra Road, yep totally agree, and it's just been re-surfaced, it's billiard table smooth now.

I just think there will be collisions once the students are back.

I'm expecting a LOT of left hooks, the whole lot just makes my spidey senses tingle. I've changed my route for the last/first bit of my commute, I work on Oxford Road, so I'm only on it for a 100 metres or so.

I'd rather be splitting lanes on the Parkway than trying to turn right out of the infra-structure.

mythste

Veteran
This is why I've stopped cycling into Manchester ! It's actually less stressful to drive (yep shock horror) - turn up the radio, air con on, and go with the slow flow into town. I've had a fair share of drivers deliberately cutting you up when on the bike, and then give you verbal when you shout - phone using, coffee drinking, weed smoking).

In the last year, I had one driver clip me from the rear = broken ribs, and drove off, one on the wrong side of the road, and I ended up bonnet surfing, no damage as I flew off the bike braking so hard, then the right turner who nearly had me in nappies for the rest of my life.

I've never had any issues in the late evenings or weekends when I went out training outside of rush hour. It's the 'must get there at all costs' attitude of many drivers.

The 'Corridor' as it's known has been badly cobbled together for cyclists. I just think there will be collisions once the students are back.

I've just started commuting from Chorlton to Bury, so far so good but you do gotta have your wits about you...

Currently trying to find a better way onto the A56 that isnt that 4 lane bit off the massive roundabout (Apologies, I don't know the names of places yet! :lol)

Siclo

Veteran
I've just started commuting from Chorlton to Bury, so far so good but you do gotta have your wits about you...

Currently trying to find a better way onto the A56 that isnt that 4 lane bit off the massive roundabout (Apologies, I don't know the names of places yet! :lol)

It's bit of extra distance but I'd go past Old Trafford and the Imperial War Museum and through the Quays

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/14953878

400bhp

Guru

I'm sorry Foss, but you're wrong here. I understand, on a personal level, it may be less stressful to drive for you, but it certainly isn't for me and I'm sure many of the other Manchester commuters would have a similar view.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I'm sorry Foss, but you're wrong here. I understand, on a personal level, it may be less stressful to drive for you, but it certainly isn't for me and I'm sure many of the other Manchester commuters would have a similar view.
Same here. Much prefer the cut and thrust of cycling in traffic to the mind numbing and frustrating 4 wheeled commute, in fact I even prefer cycling when the roads get busier at peak times :wacko:
The big downsides for the car journey is that I have no control over journey time yet still get the same stupid, dangerous, couldn't give a feck about anybody else, random moves pulled on you as when on the bike but don't get the satisfaction of moving past the perpetrator 30s later when they are stuck again 100yds up the road :laugh:

I am a big believer in non segregated cycling infrastructure and routinely ignore any provision due to the lack of suitability for a cyclist travelling at 20-25mph. My theory is that cyclists should merge and be treated just like another car on the road but I understand this is a problematic utopia because I am pretty quick but many cyclists are not. I don't know what the answer/solution is to this problem but I have a huge suspicion that it would require massive training input for both cyclists and drivers rather than physical infrastructure provision and the drivers would have to do a set amount of open road cycling each year to maintain their driving entitlement.

fossyant

I am never commuting by bike again.

Sorry but the injuries I've suffered have changed my life. I'm struggling to walk today as I can't breath well due to the rib injuries. I'm no longer able to cycle at a reasonable level.

I think road riding is over for me. The fixed hasn't even been touched since the accident. My trust of drivers ability to look where they are pointing their cars has gone.

The infrastructure that's been put in in Manchester is more dangerous than just leaving the roads as they were.

fossyant

You surprise me Fossy. I know you a bit, we have ridden together and met on a few occasions and I wouldn't have classed you as a person daft enough to trust anyone behind the wheel of car before your accidents?

I never have but I can't take another knock like this so riding near rush hour is a no no from now.

Top Bottom