Manchester people on bikes......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
I remember your posts after your operation the other year when you had to drive to work, you hated it as I recall.

I understand why you now can no longer risk it, but to say driving is less stressful?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I remember your posts after your operation the other year when you had to drive to work, you hated it as I recall.

I understand why you now can no longer risk it, but to say driving is less stressful?

I've negotiated early starts so it's not too bad driving but riding into the city is a no no. I was hit many years ago in the cit centre and I stopped commuting for about 10 years. It wasn't bad in St Manchester but coming in and out of the city is manic.

I'm too old to take a hit like this again.

Schneil

Veteran
I hate the curry mile cycle lane! Since I've started using it I've hit a pedestrian and had a left hook. Before you start saying I should have looked, there was nothing I could do, the lady suddenly stepped out. Lucky no injuries to me or her! I'm as careful as I can be, but if people can't use their common sense, what can you do?
Also the damn thing floods as it doesn't drain properly. It's a bit better in Fallowfield, except the bit that puts you on the pavement. Ugh!

In the mornings I tend to commute down Anson Road/Upper Brook street. It's usually slow moving traffic, but the cycle lane is too narrow, I've had a few uncomfortable episodes with buses. Like this one that nearly hit my shoulder. I complained and got the excuse that "I was too far from the kerb". So if anyone's hit by a bus from the same company, feel free to use in a negligence claim.

View: https://vimeo.com/152474011

Manchester city centre really segregated cycle lanes. I know we've not got the budget of London but its a step in the right direction.
I understand that current cyclists may feel safe on the road but these are needed to encourage people who current think it's too risky.

If Manchester's really genuine about changing how people get around the city, they should reduce the quantity of city centre parking for every park & ride built.
I only made the mistake of driving into the centre of Oxford once when I lived in Witney, realised there was insufficient parking drove back out and used the Park & Ride. I then cycled or used a P&R every time I visited Oxford for the years I lived there.
Less private cars would benefit cyclists, pedestrians, emergency services, taxi's, buses and the metro.
Agreed, way too many car parks in Manchester City Centre at prices that people are clearly happy to pay for all day parking everyday.

But on the other hand there are way too many buses clogging up Oxford Road and Portland Street as well (and the 'improvments' to Portland Street have only made things more congested).

Thankfully I won't have to use it as I use the Upper Brook Street/Birchfields Road/A34. Upper Brook Street is much safer than Oxford Road imo despite the traffic, 2 lanes segregated each way, no parking spaces, not many places for surprise left hooks (apart from the Plymouth Grove junction) or pedestrians stepping out etc, not many buses. Birchfields Road leaves something to be desired but it's residential and usually congested so ok if you keep your eyes out at junctions. And the A34 is fine once it gets to the dual carriageway.

Judging by how long it's taking them to do the pavements outside Sainsbury's at the moment this will take 5 years before it is finished anyway (yay more city centre roadworks!)

OP
OP
SavageHoutkop

SavageHoutkop

Veteran
Thankfully I won't have to use it as I use the Upper Brook Street/Birchfields Road/A34. Upper Brook Street is much safer than Oxford Road imo despite the traffic,
But that's the one that's had the most recent fatality sadly. Ghost bike is present.
I used to do part of the A34 (Birchfields) but turned off at St Chrysostoms when I did - after that the cars get too silly and the bike lane used to vanish just before the hospitals with no warning (not sure if it still does) and then there are multiple fast moving car lanes. .

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Anson Road (A34) is where I got rear ended at speed, as drivers jink left into the cycle lane. I was clipped on my rear sending me over the bars and my bike into another cyclist. Just opposite to the Rampant Lion. It's not bad that road, but the number of drivers that will just pull into the cycle lane to squeeze past right turning cars is crazy.

But that's the one that's had the most recent fatality sadly. Ghost bike is present.
I used to do part of the A34 (Birchfields) but turned off at St Chrysostoms when I did - after that the cars get too silly and the bike lane used to vanish just before the hospitals with no warning (not sure if it still does) and then there are multiple fast moving car lanes. .
What happened in that fatality? I see that ghost bike going home but don't see that junction being particularly dangerous.

It's not that bad a road imo, a fair number of cyclists use it and the lanes are wide enough for drivers to overtake safely (plus you normally catch them at the next set of lights anyway). Also much quicker than Oxford Road, far fewer buses and you can usually catch a decent green wave with the traffic lights. Much prefer it to risking my life with pedestrians stepping out and drivers parking/pulling out anywhere on curry mile!
Anson Road (A34) is where I got rear ended at speed, as drivers jink left into the cycle lane. I was clipped on my rear sending me over the bars and my bike into another cyclist. Just opposite to the Rampant Lion. It's not bad that road, but the number of drivers that will just pull into the cycle lane to squeeze past right turning cars is crazy.
Agree the disappearing and reappearing bus/cycle lane in the residential stretch is annoying and the road surface is frankly crap in places. And yes agree you have to keep your wits about you especially if undertaking traffic, there are a couple of crossroads a bit further South which have potential for right hooks. Alternative for me as I head to Stockport is the A6 but it's so much more stop/start with all the traffic lights and the 'other' curry mile through Longsite/Levenshulme.

Schneil

Veteran
What happened in that fatality? I see that ghost bike going home but don't see that junction being particularly dangerous.

It's not that bad a road imo, a fair number of cyclists use it and the lanes are wide enough for drivers to overtake safely (plus you normally catch them at the next set of lights anyway). Also much quicker than Oxford Road, far fewer buses and you can usually catch a decent green wave with the traffic lights. Much prefer it to risking my life with pedestrians stepping out and drivers parking/pulling out anywhere on curry mile!

Agree the disappearing and reappearing bus/cycle lane in the residential stretch is annoying and the road surface is frankly crap in places. And yes agree you have to keep your wits about you especially if undertaking traffic, there are a couple of crossroads a bit further South which have potential for right hooks. Alternative for me as I head to Stockport is the A6 but it's so much more stop/start with all the traffic lights and the 'other' curry mile through Longsite/Levenshulme.

The fatality was this poor chap http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...-news/cyclist-dies-upper-brook-street-8439443
No news since, so I don't know what the outcome of the investigation was.

Avoid the A6 through longsight&Levenshulme, especially going South between Longsight Market and McVities. The standard of driving and parking is worse than Rusholme. You're travelling slower as it;'s uphill and people try to race past you. Going through Levenshulme your either hide in a door zone , or have someone driving up your arse.

Agreed, the cycle lane is too narrow and so is the main carriageway - hence my bus experience. The worst bit for that is the junction by Birch Lane. Going North drivers cut the corner and enter the bike lane Going South you are vulnerable to right hooks.

My route to Stockport is to go down Oxford Road as far as Edinburgh cycles. I turn left and go down Oxford Place, then right onto Anson Road. I then hit the fallowfield loop at the double roundabout and come out on the A6 near Broom Lane. Not perfect, but I think it avoids the nastiest bits of all three main roads

OP
OP
SavageHoutkop

SavageHoutkop

Veteran
Much prefer it to risking my life with pedestrians stepping out and drivers parking/pulling out anywhere on curry mile!
You've not ridden the Curry Mile then since the new infra (or you stick to the road if you have). Pedestrian conflict still exists now but no problems with parking and pulling out as new lane is on the inside of parked cars not outside and is kerb protected (with bollards)

Top Bottom