Matching Chain to Internal Derailleur and Crankset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WStewart

I want to swap the rear, external derailleur (Shimano XT) for an internal derailleur (~Nexus 7). I've found lots of good wheelsets for sale online and now that it will fit into the frame, but there's one question I can't find an answer to: How do I make sure that the rear cog on the new derailleur, front chainring (there will be just one), and the chain will all match? I know that not all chains fit onto all styles of gears. So, other than just trial and error, is there some way of knowing (before I buy the parts) that the cog and chainring are suitable for the same chain?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Just had a quick look at my OHs bike (Dawes Geneva with Nexus 7) and the chain is definitely wider and also has a split link (been a long time since I saw one of them) so I would think that you need to buy a hub gear specific chain. That will be OK on the front chain ring though as the pitch is the same its just wider so just order a hub gear chain.

Brommyboy

Über Member
You will need a 7/8 speed chain if you are using the hub gear. Is that what you mean by an interior derailleur, as a hub gear does not derail the chain?

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I want to swap the rear, external derailleur (Shimano XT) for an internal derailleur (~Nexus 7). I've found lots of good wheelsets for sale online and now that it will fit into the frame, but there's one question I can't find an answer to: How do I make sure that the rear cog on the new derailleur, front chainring (there will be just one), and the chain will all match? I know that not all chains fit onto all styles of gears. So, other than just trial and error, is there some way of knowing (before I buy the parts) that the cog and chainring are suitable for the same chain?

Without knowing exactly what you have it is impossible to say what you need. With a single ring front and single ring back does your frame have vertical or angled/horizontal rear dropouts or EBB? Are the dropouts 130mm apart to match the Nexus 7? What is the front chainline?

Some answers to the above questions determine which rear sprocket offset or otherwise you need to maintain a good chainline. As for the chain if you want it to last and don't mind the weight Nexus is designed to run with a single speed 1/8" chain, but there is nothing to stop you using a 5/6/7/8/9 speed 3/32" chain as long as you are using corresponding (e.g. Nexus, as opposed to e.g. SA) sprocket and chainring.

Top Bottom