Scotland : Kingdom of Fife May Weekend Saturday 2nd/Sunday 3rd May - potential rides

If available, which ride would you prefer?

• Drawing the Dugs Heid

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • 5 Hills of Fife

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Etape Caledonia Route

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Loch Earn Loop

• Tour of East Lothian (route to be decided)

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fubar

Guru
Hi good people of CC Ecosseland

I was discussing with @Edwardoka potential rides, looking at my diary I have limited weekends but the May Bank Holiday weekend conveniently looks free for me and is just one week before Etape Caledonia so I will be looking to do something either a)hilly or b)long or a combination of the two as a prep ride. Suggestions include:

• Drawing the Dugs Heid - round the Fife coast road (180k), 2/3 cafe stops
  • 5 Hills of Fife - 70-ish miles, hilly (ok and not all in Fife), 2 cafe options
  • Etape Caledonia route - 81 miles, not many options for cafe stops and starts/ends in Pitlochry
  • Loch Earn Loop - 100 miles, Options to dip in and out, 1/2 x cafe and 1 x garage!
  • A Tour of East Lothian??? (route unknown, cafes unknown)
(EDIT: added a Poll so you can vote for your favourite!)

NOTES: There will be hills and it will be long(ish), and whilst I'm no speed merchant this probably would not suit as a beginners ride or a gentle pootle.

Thoughts?

ShooglyDougie

Veteran
Any/all. Mmmm hills.

Thoughts:

I'm totally up for it, there's a gap in my calendar between Etape Loch Ness and Three Pistes that I was considering filling in with a extended re-run of my Braemar ride but riding is better with company :hyper:

- Drawing the Dugs Heid looks awesome!
- Five hills of Fife, not sure
- The Etape Caledonia is one I've always wanted to do but without the event buzz (and rest and food stops!), not sure about it
- Loch Earn loop seems as though it's on the A84 for much of the route :surrender:
- Tour of East Lothian... moar infos needed!

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Thoughts:

I'm totally up for it, there's a gap in my calendar between Etape Loch Ness and Three Pistes that I was considering filling in with a extended re-run of my Braemar ride but riding is better with company :hyper:

- Drawing the Dugs Heid looks awesome!
- Five hills of Fife, not sure
- The Etape Caledonia is one I've always wanted to do but without the event buzz (and rest and food stops!), not sure about it
- Loch Earn loop seems as though it's on the A84 for much of the route :surrender:
- Tour of East Lothian... moar infos needed!

Have you voted...?!?

Drawing the Dugs Heid is a good ride (with the exception of the Kirkcaldy-Methil part), and gives you the option to divert off at the Tay Bridge or towards Perth - I would urge an early start for that one, nice cafe stops at Elie, St Andrews and Newburgh;

Five Hills is mainly quiet roads, with 2 good cafe stops outside Falkland and at Dollar ;);

The Etape route lacks cafe stops and means travel to/from start, so probably will be less favoured;

The Loch Earn Loop is a standard DCC TTT and only on the A84 from Lochearnhead to Callander - from memory it is only busy between Callander and Doune, I've done it twice with no issues;

Tour of East Lothian - calling @edindave and/or @Telemark !!!

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Tour of East Lothian - calling @edindave and/or @Telemark !!!

You called :notworthy:
I can definitely help with ideas for East Lothian - how hilly do you want?:evil: :hyper:
Redstone Rig, down to Longformacus over the wee roads, back via Hungry Snout & Garvald?
Or Dunbar - up the wee roads via Spott & over to the Whiteadder reservoir, back via Longformacus and/or the Rig?

Could do some draft maps, but work/Belles/EdFoC are currently conspiring to take up all my waking hours, so can't promise to have time until maybe Sunday or mid-next week at the earliest. Maybe @edindave will be able to oblige sooner?

Not sure about my availability for the dates at this stage :scratch:

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
You called :notworthy:
I can definitely help with ideas for East Lothian - how hilly do you want?:evil: :hyper:
Redstone Rig, down to Longformacus over the wee roads, back via Hungry Snout & Garvald?
Or Dunbar - up the wee roads via Spott & over to the Whiteadder reservoir, back via Longformacus and/or the Rig?

Could do some draft maps, but work/Belles/EdFoC are currently conspiring to take up all my waking hours, so can't promise to have time until maybe Sunday or mid-next week at the earliest. Maybe @edindave will be able to oblige sooner?

Not sure about my availability for the dates at this stage :scratch:

One consideration with this route would be availability of a guide - makes it much easier if someone knows where they are going! Don't worry too much just now, it was only a musing on my part - thanks though!

Mr_Grieve

Über Member
I'd love to go but I'm not sure I'd get permission to go out for a long ride a week before disappearing for the day to the Etape.If I can I'd quite fancy Drawing the Dug's Heid. I previously stole and modified your 5 Hills route (to 4 Hills :tongue:) and I don't really want to be driving any distance. I could also potentially join and/or leave earlier if I'm given time limits.

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
I'd love to go but I'm not sure I'd get permission to go out for a long ride a week before disappearing for the day to the Etape.If I can I'd quite fancy Drawing the Dug's Heid. I previously stole and modified your 5 Hills route (to 4 Hills :tongue:) and I don't really want to be driving any distance. I could also potentially join and/or leave earlier if I'm given time limits.

Be good to have you along and as you say you could dip in/out - dugs heid looking favorite so far! Justify it by saying you need the miles in your legs ;)

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Hi guys, looks like I can't make that weekend :sad: but I'll dig out some routes for you. Here's one I did a couple of weekends ago - including a loop of Redstone Rigg-Longformacus-Duns-Redstone Rigg.

That looks a great route and I'd be keen to do it at some point - as stated above my only concern would be finding my way with a group, if I'm putting the ride up I should really know where I'm going...

One for the future?

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
In terms of availability and votes then it looks like Drawing the Dugs Heid is favourite so far - any more for any more??

Top Bottom