mersey tunnel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclist33

OP
OP
stephen.rooke

stephen.rooke

could end up working in liverpool so one of my options is to ride to birkenhead and get train or ride through the tunnel if im on an early

Don't see many cyclist in the tunnel any more but I did see a roadie on Sunday afternoon. Best route to Liverpool from Birkenhead would be the ferry, or jump the train from Conway Park station - easy access from large foyer to big lifts straight to platform, Hamilton Square is pants.

lejogger

Guru
I did it as part of my end to end in 2009, on a Saturday morning at dawn patrol. It's an eerie atmosphere but not unpleasant. Felt a bit slow coming up the other side with full touring kit, but the two of us just rode side by side blocking the lane so the motorists had to change lanes to overtake us. We felt that was safer because you're not actually supposed to change lanes, so if we'd have been single file it would have been tempting for them to squeeze past us.

I'd definitely do it again...

Not quite as impressive as Harry Potter doing it on a flying motorbike and side car in the Deathly Hallows though :smile:
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/live...tter-and-the-deathly-hallows-100252-24630624/

headcoat

Über Member
Rode through it for the Liverpool-Chester-Liverpool ride, great fun. I would not like to attempt it unless it was shut. I'd say trains from any station, as long as you can carry your bike down some stairs, some of the lifts are stupidly small, or probably better by ferry.

Final options are you could always ride up to Runcorn or campaign for a bridge over the Mersey or for the Tunnels to open one of the probably many maintenance routes for bike/foot :smile:

BikeLiker

read online you can cycle through the mersey tunnel if you do it before 7, has anyone done it?
Many times when I worked shifts. It used to be open to bikes until 9am on a Saturday as well. As I understand it the direct ferry is only viable during restricted commuting hours - the rest of the time you have to pay for the silly cruise. Reading this has inspired me to do a tunnel/ bridge loop this Sunday as the weather's looking pretty good.

BikeLiker

... or for the Tunnels to open one of the probably many maintenance routes for bike/foot :smile:

The other option is to allow bikes through in one of the tubes/lanes in either tunnel when closed for maintenance, as is the case almost every day. Problem is it involves effort on behalf of Merseytravel to manage this sort of thing. I emailed Mark Dowd when he was chairman of Merseytravel about this but didn't get the courtesy of a reply.

sittingbull

Veteran
I've ridden through a couple of times with the Liverpool-Chester-Liverpool ride, it's a good experience but I seem to remember it being a little chaotic on the descent (with the odd accident). I've been through on the motorbike too (it's free :smile:).

I wouldn't like to cycle through when it's busy because of the fumes xx(

billy1561

BB wrecker
I've ridden through a couple of times with the Liverpool-Chester-Liverpool ride, it's a good experience but I seem to remember it being a little chaotic on the descent (with the odd accident). I've been through on the motorbike too (it's free :smile:).

I wouldn't like to cycle through when it's busy because of the fumes xx(
It's ventilated. How else would workmen be around.. Not being funny mate just saying like..:hello:

Top Bottom