MET Office weather app

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DWiggy

Über Member
Poxy app told me its was going to be 4deg this morning, which it was and max of 13 deg at 5 ish, its got be getting on for 19deg and i've come in my winter get up, full length bottoms and thick jersey....im going to sweat my n@ts off on the way home....why do I even bother looking at that app its next to useless!!!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I usually just open the window and check what the real world is like :thumbsup:

siadwell

Guru
Don't forget that meteorologists measure temperature in a white box (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevenson_screen) so it's the temperature in the shade that they are forecasting. At this time of year, the heat of direct sun makes a big difference, as does the chilling effect of the wind.

Mind you, I think the Met Office's "feels like" temperature also underestimates the temperature as you experience it. Have you tried AccuWeather? Their RealFeel temperature is, I think, more realistic. Or get yourself a piece of seaweed.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
This time of year you just need 3/4 long 'shorts', ss jersey, arm warmers and a wind proof jacket. Wear everything in the morning and in the even ditch the arm warmers and jacket.

OP
OP
DWiggy

DWiggy

Über Member
This time of year you just need 3/4 long 'shorts', ss jersey, arm warmers and a wind proof jacket. Wear everything in the morning and in the even ditch the arm warmers and jacket.
Its what I have been doing up until today :/ I was it was going to apparently be a bit colder so though id be okay, but its turned out to be a blinder of a day! next time ill just go with my spring get up.

OP
OP
DWiggy

DWiggy

Über Member
Don't forget that meteorologists measure temperature in a white box (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevenson_screen) so it's the temperature in the shade that they are forecasting. At this time of year, the heat of direct sun makes a big difference, as does the chilling effect of the wind.

Mind you, I think the Met Office's "feels like" temperature also underestimates the temperature as you experience it. Have you tried AccuWeather? Their RealFeel temperature is, I think, more realistic. Or get yourself a piece of seaweed.
..seaweed???

siadwell

Guru
..seaweed???
Nail it up outside your window. If wet, it's raining. If moving about, it's windy. If you can't see it during daylight, it's foggy.

Or, more technically (http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...4EhGE29xz_27889_5w-73Iw&bvm=bv.64764171,d.ZGU):

Seaweed can, it is said, be used to predict the weather as it can absorb ambient moisture. Therefore, if dry seaweed hanging up goes limp, it means there's damp in the air. It is interesting to note that the people who say this are often somewhat vague when pressed for further scientific details. Apparently if seaweed is dried then left outside, and you later discover it has become wet, then there's probably been some rain7. One h2g2 Researcher reports:
My experience of seaweed as a weather predictor came from my grandfather who was a treasure house of esoteric trivia. The required seaweed is 'Bladder wrack'. This is the seaweed that generally litters British beaches and has lovely little blister-like bits. I know this isn't particularly eloquent but you get the general picture. Anyway, here's how you beat your local weatherman. Hang said seaweed on a nail outside. If, after a period of hanging there mindlessly, you are able to pop one of the 'blisters' then the weather should be dry. If, on the other hand, you cannot make it pop - it is probably going to rain.

Mr Foldy

I certainly can't find a reliable forecast for central Scotland these days. Frustrating but it seems to be unfixable. I wonder if the Easterly winds bring less predictable weather?

Soup890

Crazy
I always use my iPhone weather app it's 100% reliable.

Top Bottom