England : London Midsummer Madness: 21st June 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
saoirse50

saoirse50

Veteran
Oh by the way, it isn't Catford McDonalds I'm thinking of, that was a bit of a joke...we'll pick a more central one really, checking out the route this afternoon for final decision. Any preferences amongst those more knowledgeable than me abot McD's?

Will be at the Southwark Needle for 02:30

wanda2010

Guru
Done! Sunrise was 'grey' but I enjoyed the view from Primrose Hill and the brightening of the sky. Riding through central London in the early hours was an experience I'd forgotten about and must revisit. There's something special about riding on London's relatively empty streets at 5/6am on a Sunday.

Hope this ride runs next year with a return to Bar Italia. McD's, whilst useful, isn't quite the same.

OP
OP
saoirse50

saoirse50

Veteran
No, you're right, Sonia. And according to Dermot, who joined us after a night out in Soho, it was oddly much less crowded than usual on a Saturday night, so we may well have been fine anyway. And the group wasn't quite as big as it has been in the past. Lovely bunch of people though. At midnight, I was almost regretting running the ride, feeling pretty shattered and if I'm honest, if I had the choice, would have stayed in bed. But, once I turned on to the riverside at Greenwich, I began to enjoy that strangely calm and free feeling that riding in London late at night always gave me years ago, when I did it far more often. Even though lack of sleep seems to affect me much more than it used to. But glad now that we haven't let the tradition slide. Next year it's on a Monday night, so Soho and Bar Italia will be fine. But on the other hand, most of us will have work the next day. Big thanks to everyone who turned up. You definitely made it a ride worth leading.

Had a great time thanks for organising
Joanne enjoyed her first nighttime London Ride
Dave great pics as usual will put some of mine on later
Also hope the backmarker made it back after her puncture and hope she didn't need to use the spare tyre

OP
OP
saoirse50

saoirse50

Veteran
It was only a quarter of a ride really, TC, and more of a pootle than a ride, but no less enjoyable for that. My favourite part as always was riding round the Outer Circle, quiet and empty in those small hours. Once or twice in the past, we have arrived in time to do the whole circuit, heard lions roaring, wolves howling as we passed the zoo. I didn't think we had quite enough time this year, so missed that rather surreal addition, only including the eastern half of the Circle. Lara, my trusty backmarker, made it back to Peckham with me from where she only has a brief schlep home, so she was fine. Also grateful to all the kind folks who stayed with her and brought the rear of the ride up to the park, with minutes to spare. And Al, who it was, I believe, who finally managed to remove her brand new tyre from the wheel, when the two just seemed destined never to part.
I missed the lack of a breakfast spot...Polo was suggested, but not many were that keen so I just headed off through Camden and then southwards. But, as with the substitution of McDonalds for Bar Italia, I missed a visit to Terry's or the Island. In future, I would advise just going with the flow of Soho whatever the evening and sticking to the old format, even on a Sunday. Breakfast then is still a bit problematic on a Sunday morning, but possibly, the ride off could include a bit past Brick Lane, if the weather is good enough to pick up a bagel and coffee and munch it alfresco.
A merry band of riders followed me south of the river. Half of them didn't even live there! They just turned around and rode back to parts north and East. One young lad came all the way from Ilford to join us, rode with us to Peckham before returning home. True night ride spirit.

Top Bottom