Milan - Sanremo 2016 **spoilers**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I'm shocked that the Italian press is accusing a French winner of the MSR of cheating. Shocked.

OP
OP
Pro Tour Punditry
It would appear from Twitter that Demare's ride was on Strava for about 10 seconds before it was removed. Unfortunately for him that was long enough for some of his data to be recorded as KOMs e.g. 2.33 for a 1.7km segment on the Cipressa climb, Visconti was 2.40 and the bunch averaged 2.50. Hardly "stunning" speeds but it might be an indication he was aided in some way; perhaps not to the extent suggested in the cyclingnews article.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
The official all-time record for the full 5.7km of the Cipressa is 9.36 set by Francesco Casagrande in 2001. Démare's time yesterday was 10.02, an average speed of 33.7kmh. That doesn't strike me as particularly suspicious. It's not the hardest of climbs.

We would need to know the times set by other non-Strava riders to make a fair assessment of his ride yesterday.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
His is the fastest time since Strava though, which is mildly unexpected though.
Albeit they were climbing it slowly yesterday to begin with IIRC

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
His is the fastest time since Strava though

Only among those who post their rides on Strava. Do we know how fast Nibali went up the Cipressa yesterday? What about Stannard?

OP
OP
Pro Tour Punditry
And an Italian website claim they have photographic "proof" although, to me, it looks as if that is a white bike and Demare's bike yesterday was blue.

showimg.php?cod=88389&resize=10&tp=n.jpg

http://www.tuttobiciweb.it/index.php?page=news&cod=88389&tp=n

Last edited:
Top Bottom