Mis buy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

double0jedi

I spent ages looking for the right road bike. I wanted something faster than my mountain bike to get to work on. I spent a good few weeks reading reviews of bikes in my price range, both new and second hand.
Finally found something that ticked all the boxes, a felt z95. Secondhand sale and the bike is in very good condition, can't fault it. Problem is can't say I like it either!
Don't get me wrong, I did test it and a few others. I thought that the difference I felt was because it was such a different type of bike, which obviously it is but maybe a road bike just isn't for me.
Feel gutted as, like most of us I don't have money to burn.
Has anyone else brought a bike they really regret?

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes, a specialized Sirrus that I bought to replace one that was stolen, I sold it within 6 months and bought a road bike

What is it that you don't like about the roadbike? You could convert to flat bars and recoup some money selling the STIs and bars

How much have you used it? It may take you a while to get used to it, my missus did not like her road bike until she had used it for a few months, now she loves it.
what dont you like about it?
Yes I have bought mistake bikes when I was new to cycling, I manged to buy 2 secondhand steel bikes both too big for me I as too I was too inexperienced at the time to realise.

OP
OP
D

double0jedi

It just feels so small. I spent ages looking at size charts and even got fitted at a couple of lbs to confirm the size. But compared to my mountain bike it feels tiny.

Maybe it will just take a while to get used to.
It hasn't been very long at all to be fair.

Heigue'r

Veteran
It just feels so small. I spent ages looking at size charts and even got fitted at a couple of lbs to confirm the size. But compared to my mountain bike it feels tiny.

Maybe it will just take a while to get used to.
It hasn't been very long at all to be fair.

I have the same problem but the other way around.my mountain bike feels massive compared to my road bike.both are a great fit for me and feel right.give it time perhaps.

Out of interest, how tall are you and what size frame did you get? It's probably just a matter of getting used to it. If you feel cramped on it you might try a longer stem, move the saddle back, if you haven't already. Sometimes small adjustments can change the feel of the bike.

I'd always wanted a Dawes Galaxy, bought one finally umpteen years ago; didn't hate it, just didn't like it. Lovely bike, built like a tank, it would probably go anywhere, couldn't take to it at all. Sold it on, eventually. It happens.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
As others have said it could be a fit issue , might be worth posting a piccie side on of you on the bike for any suggestions people could help?
Many people going from MTB to road find it to low at the front and flip /replace the stem with a riser one to make the bars higher .

Drago

Legendary Member
Yes, Spesh Carve 29. Didn't warm to it at all, and felt quite critical of a few points. Since then I won't touch a new bike I can't ride beforehand.

I also tried the Felt Zs, didn't feel quite right to me. In the end I plumped for the Felt F series, which despite being nominally more regular road bikes in terms of geometry etc still felt quite relaxed to my ageing and crumbling body.

gbb

Legendary Member
My Trek 7.1 hybrid. Hated it after I brought it but I know why. ..I'd set out for a roadbike, couldn't find one at that pricepoint and compromised...a big mistake at the time.
It's become a trusty all rounder...eventually,I think for the fist 3 or 4 years it hardly got used.
I don't think that relates to your experience though double0jedi..just shows its not always a smooth process, especially when you're dipping a toe into the pools so's to speak
Give it time I'd say, relax and enjoy it.

MattDB

Über Member
I bought a felt f95 - love it. I do wonder if the f would have been kinder to my lower back but we're inseparable.

Strangely if I try to ride an MTB it feels incredibly strange.

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
I've just gone the other way and my MTB feels like riding a horse. I guess it will take a while and fiddling to get me comfortable, but without a shadow of a doubt, a change of saddle.

After 500 miles and progressively smaller tweaks here and there, the road bike feels like a comfy old slipper that just goes and goes.It takes time.

Russell

A good used bike will hold it's value and you may even get more for it, so unlike a new bike, you haven't lost any money.
Find out exactly why this bike doesn't fit you.
If your MTB was set up as a racy XC style, then your roadbike should approximate this position on thebrake hoods.
Take a tape measure and plumb line to your MTB and roadbike. Plot the points of contact on graph paper (ie eliminate all angles)
Note crank length and bar width.

Top Bottom