Miserable Cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jimidh

Veteran
I'm a miserable cyclist as I'm spending my morning off work going through NHS e-learning modules rather than getting out on my bike :sad:.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I got encouraging applause from a couple of stopped cyclists as I toiled up Toy's Hill in the heat last summer. They looked like the kind of whippets to whom Toys is a molehill. I know they meant well, and I did nod in their direction, but they didn't make me feel any better and I would have been immensely cheered if swarm of hornets had emerged from the hedge and attacked them.

Jody

Stubborn git
Maybe we should change this thread from "miserable cyclists" to a catalogue of impromptu crowd cheers that have made us smile? :smile:

I was impressed by the amount of support given by people on foot when going up Snowdon. Plenty of good banter on the way up, in the cafe and on the way back down.

keithmac

Guru
I'm quite chatty with the lollypop man half way through my ride to work.

Give him a hello on the way past and if he's at the side of the road with a group waiting to cross I always give him a nod and stop.

Ironically I've seen cars with school children in just blindly drive straight through with ill regard, obviously their children are more important..

Welcome @yar1950, it's sad that the old practice of greeting other cyclists isn't observed as much as it was but don't let it spoil your ride.
Personally I tend not to in town but out in the countryside I say hello to everyone, walkers, horse riders, even the odd motorist if they're going sufficiently slow.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Maybe it's because they don't consider you to be in the correct genre, straight handlebars has maybe got you marked down by them as a non serious cyclist not worthy of acknowledgement. Put a set of drops on and you might get more waves. Just my theory.

There is also an element of north/south divide.

When I rode with my brother and sister-in-law along a tow path in Oxford I was one of the few people who spoke to passers-by, usually to warn them of my approaching presence from behind.

Sister-in-law commented 'no one speaks around here', and I can see why to an extent because there was lots of people.

Oop north there are far fewer folks about, so acknowledging those you do meet is less of a chore.

One might draw a parallel with public transport, far more chance of falling into conversation with someone on a train in the north than on, say, the tube in London where speaking to a fellow passenger marks you as a weirdo.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
One might draw a parallel with public transport, far more chance of falling into conversation with someone on a train in the north than on, say, the tube in London where speaking to a fellow passenger marks you as a weirdo.
I think it's more of a City/Rural divide.
Country folk seem to have more time to stop and chat....... usually in the middle of a junction.:laugh:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I try to say hello to every fellow cyclist and not all of them return my greeting. Even as a pedestrian I give everyone who's wearing socks and sandals a nod or wave. It's the decent thing to do and the handful of others who have a similar sensible approach to sandal wearing are clearly 'my kind of people'... but even they tend to ignore me :sad:

Top Bottom