Mobile phone/driving government consultation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RichardB

Slightly retro
Here's a good example of when you should call 999 while driving, when someone saw a car apparently crashing off a motorway
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...uple-lain-car-wreck-scotland-days-bannockburn
Totally agree with that. It's a life-and-death situation, which outweighs the lesser risk of using the phone. No problem there. It's answering a call that I can't see the urgency of. And don't get me started on the "I must use my phone in the car, as I can't be out of touch with the office" boneheads.

RichardB

Slightly retro
[QUOTE 4131599, member: 9609"]Sadly huge swathes of the population can not cope without faffing with their mobile phone for more than 3 minutes. sad but true.[/QUOTE]
Some great images on this page.

The flow diagram shows that the Police have discretionary powers to make exceptions ( like nearly all things life). I am sure common sense will prevail most of the time. The attached stats show that FPN alone does not have an impact but points do. The remedial training for a hand held office is waste of time and unnecessary cost especially when we needs fund to go to more urgent needs. The doubling of HGV points is a point of consideration. It may be worthwhile for HGV industry to consider installing messaging dashboards and hands free devices.

DRM

Guru
The flow diagram shows that the Police have discretionary powers to make exceptions ( like nearly all things life). I am sure common sense will prevail most of the time. The attached stats show that FPN alone does not have an impact but points do. The remedial training for a hand held office is waste of time and unnecessary cost especially when we needs fund to go to more urgent needs. The doubling of HGV points is a point of consideration. It may be worthwhile for HGV industry to consider installing messaging dashboards and hands free devices.
Messaging systems are already available, the first tracking systems in our work vans had this function, most new vehicles now have bluetooth cd radio players fitted, both my car and van have this.

RichardB

Slightly retro
I'm wondering if any research has been done into the relative demands of simplex vs duplex communication? The kind of thing I mean:

Go to X and meet Y, then proceed to Z. Over.
Received. Out.​

As opposed to:

Look, I'm going to be a bit late tonight, because ...
... not again ...
... yes, sorry, but there's a project I need to finish ...
... you said that last time ...
... yes, but ...
... and who is staying on to help you with it?
... well, it's Emma, actually, but ...
... I knew it! You want to be careful there ...
... don't be ... hang on, there's a roundabout ... bloody hell, where did he come from?
... don't try and lie to me ... Mark? ... Mark? ... Any chance of picking up a pint of milk on your way back? Mark?​

I can use two-way radio while driving at work, and it doesn't cause me any concern at all. On the other hand, I know that even hands-free calls in the car reduce my concentration considerably. Nowadays, I put the phone in the boot and I deal with any calls when I next take a break.

oldstrath

Über Member
I've had to call 999 while on a major road. It's was balancing the minor risk of a mishap by making the call against the certainty of someone dying if I didn't (it was a mental health patient laying down on a motorway carriageway.) I pray it wasn't one of Oldstrath's relatives.
Probably not. But I don't really understand why this couldn't wait till you had been able to stop. 1 minute, versus however long it takes to get someone on scene to deal with it?

Top Bottom