Model Railways

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
If you don't want it the Stephec Home for Model Railways would be pleased to care for it on your behalf. :smile:

What's in it, and do you know how old. Also what condition?
Can then give you an idea of what its worth.

Time to board out the loft and run it around there, what kind of set up is it?

It's a flying Scotsman set up with standard layout already on a board. The basic set was bought for my FIL by my SIL, and he over time added to it, all the buildings, landscape, rolling stock. Not long after he finished it he was going to sell it, I said I'd buy it, but he gave it to, then about 6 months later he died.

Sounds like you've got a nice base for a potential upgrade there.

Another type of n+1 could be about to start.

Extension packs E & F in with it?

Depending upon which set you bought it would have at least a basic oval, and higher up the range a bit more as well.

Extension packs were available to increase the amount of track until you complete the standard layout mat that was included with all sets.

The above assumes it's a Hornby set, and it's based on information from the last time I looked at them about fifteen years ago.

I've inherited from my FIL a Hornby Flying Scotsman railway set, he originally got the basic set from my SIL for his birthday. Overtime he put the paper colour base mat down on a board and added to it. Then he became ill, gave all the stuff to me before he carked it. So for about four years the base and boxes of stuff have been sitting in the garage and loft.

From memory there's quite a lot of stuff, all Hornby, buildings, cars, rolling stock, trees, track even a couple having it off in a feild and a bloke throwing up behind the bins, loads of stuff.

I don't want get rid or sell it, but I'm not sure how or where to set it up.

So are there many folks here into model railways that can give me a few pointers?

stoofer35

Piccys?

S

classic33

Leg End Member
I've inherited from my FIL a Hornby Flying Scotsman railway set, he originally got the basic set from my SIL for his birthday. Overtime he put the paper colour base mat down on a board and added to it. Then he became ill, gave all the stuff to me before he carked it. So for about four years the base and boxes of stuff have been sitting in the garage and loft.

From memory there's quite a lot of stuff, all Hornby, buildings, cars, rolling stock, trees, track even a couple having it off in a feild and a bloke throwing up behind the bins, loads of stuff.

I don't want get rid or sell it, but I'm not sure how or where to set it up.

So are there many folks here into model railways that can give me a few pointers?
R1058 Or R1072 do you know?

Spare room an option open to you?

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Depending upon which set you bought it would have at least a basic oval, and higher up the range a bit more as well.

Extension packs were available to increase the amount of track until you complete the standard layout mat that was included with all sets.

The above assumes it's a Hornby set, and it's based on information from the last time I looked at them about fifteen years ago.
They changed the standard layout again in recent years.
Assuming the track plan on the set has been followed, is there a single and double level crossing halfway down one side?

Would you be willing to re-lay the layout. You open your options that way. You could even extend the layout down a second wall!

What do the control units look like?

Last edited:

stephec

Legendary Member
You know there's a forum on the Airfix/Hornby website?

As Classic says you can rearrange the track to fit whatever space you have available, mine was on the standard mat tacked to a piece of MDF, with 4x4 offcuts for legs and additional bracing as needed.

With limited space a common one is to run it along a wall on a piece of board about 18" to 2' wide, you can go L shaped round a corner with it as well.

Without doing a search myself I'd imagine there's plenty of ready made layout plans available.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
My apologies.

I went out just after posting the OP and have just got back in.

I'll post some photos and check what I actually have tomorrow.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
R1058 Or R1072 do you know?

Spare room an option open to you?

I expect it's a R1072. Spare room is a possible option or maybe the garage.

classic33

Leg End Member
You know there's a forum on the Airfix/Hornby website?

As Classic says you can rearrange the track to fit whatever space you have available, mine was on the standard mat tacked to a piece of MDF, with 4x4 offcuts for legs and additional bracing as needed.

With limited space a common one is to run it along a wall on a piece of board about 18" to 2' wide, you can go L shaped round a corner with it as well.

Without doing a search myself I'd imagine there's plenty of ready made layout plans available.
Can copy the track plans from the book.

Or if he's feeling adventurous, he could take the digital route. Controlling upto 9,999 locomotives from his PC via his smartphone!

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Can copy the track plans from the book.

Or if he's feeling adventurous, he could take the digital route. Controlling upto 9,999 locomotives from his PC via his smartphone!

For some reading I don't fancy the digital route, for sort of the same reason I don't want a DI2 or similar, it's not that it's not good it's just doesn't seem right.

@Lonestar & @numbnuts both my Grandfather and his son, my uncle were train drivers, starting off as apprentices and working there way up the former before the war, the latter during the war. My uncle (85yo) has a photo of him standing by a steam train he managed to derail.

I spent five years living near and playing on the railways in Willesden Junction.

Thomo

Regular
I have built many railways currently have a 00 gauge exhibition layout and an n gauge layout for exhibition. I am building a 12" by 12" 00 gauge in my shed. The plan is to model the well know. Scenes from Thomas and fried s for the baby boy I am expecting in December. My shed has electric lights and heating so it's perfect for railways. I would be happy to help as long as your not to far from me

classic33

Leg End Member
I have built many railways currently have a 00 gauge exhibition layout and an n gauge layout for exhibition. I am building a 12" by 12" 00 gauge in my shed. The plan is to model the well know. Scenes from Thomas and fried s for the baby boy I am expecting in December. My shed has electric lights and heating so it's perfect for railways. I would be happy to help as long as your not to far from me
One question. Who's Fried s?

Top Bottom