Modern Baths !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After living here for four years last night I finally decided to have a bath. My wife loves them but I prefer a shower.
So not having had a bath for so long after a day of repairing a fence I was quite looking forward to relaxing in a hot bath. But that didn't work out at all because after filling it up with hot water and a bit of Radox thrown in I got into it and realised that the only people that could fit into it and enjoy a relaxing bath would be my young grandsons.
The water hardly covered my thighs and even stretching my legs out was impossible and I am 5'10".
It might have been old but at least at our old house the bath was a decent size to enjoy a good soak.
Since looking on the Net it seems my modern bath is the norm so either I am an unusual species or the average size person has got a lot smaller.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
It's a "shrink to fit" bath, they're all the rage nowadays.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
There's something really mean about some small modern baths. You can still find decent sized ones though if you look around.

1800 by 800 by 550 mm is a good starting point if you can fit the length into your bathroom. The depth is really important or you'll be wriggling about trying to get your knees wet.

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
Small modern baths for small modern houses I suspect.
I replaced mine last year, in a late 1960s modern construction house (Jesus, I just realised, even though its brick exterior, dry lined inside...its nearly 50 years old). The bath's 1800mm long and really quite wide, takes a heck of a lot of water to fill it, which I don't anyway.
Achy backs..hot baths. Got a shower, never use it, hot bath every time for me.

One thing did make me smile when we brought it from (IIRC) the Bath Store...its extra thick construction, as the salesman said, it'll keep your bath hot for longer. Yeah right, as I suspect 99% of the heatloss is straight up, it could be a foot thick, it still wouldn't make that much difference.

colly

Re member eR
I live in a 1920's house and when we moved in it had the original cast iron bath, long, wide and very deep.
So that's good yes? No sadly not
The problem is the hot water / heating was also 1920's.
An un-insulated, miniature copper cylinder would take half a day to get hot (well hot_ish) and by the time the bath had 5" of water in it was starting to run cold. The cast iron of the bath absorbed almost of of the temp of the water and even in summer it was like sitting in a puddle of Luke warm tea.
Years have passed. No bath now just a shower you could hold a dance in with as much hot water as I need via the mains and a combi boiler.^_^

Do I miss a bath?

Do I feck.

ayceejay

Guru
The important dimension is the distance between the bottom of the bath and the overflow as this controls the depth of the water. A Japanese bath for instance is impossible to lay down in but the water will come up to your neck. But be warned if you seal the overflow and fill your bath to the top something very interesting will happen when you get in.

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
I was doing some work in a bathroom in the summer, they had fitted a 1800mm bath. One end was recessed into the wall. It took a couple of takes to realise that the inner skin of the cavity wall had been removed to accommodate the bath!

Katherine

Guru
The important dimension is the distance between the bottom of the bath and the overflow as this controls the depth of the water. A Japanese bath for instance is impossible to lay down in but the water will come up to your neck. But be warned if you seal the overflow and fill your bath to the top something very interesting will happen when you get in.

Eureka!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I live in a 1920's house and when we moved in it had the original cast iron bath, long, wide and very deep.
So that's good yes? No sadly not
The problem is the hot water / heating was also 1920's.
An un-insulated, miniature copper cylinder would take half a day to get hot (well hot_ish) and by the time the bath had 5" of water in it was starting to run cold. The cast iron of the bath absorbed almost of of the temp of the water and even in summer it was like sitting in a puddle of Luke warm tea.
Years have passed. No bath now just a shower you could hold a dance in with as much hot water as I need via the mains and a combi boiler.^_^

Do I miss a bath?

Do I feck.

I had the same problem in my old house in Ainsdale. It was one of those Lion claw cast iron baths almost 2m long. It took an age to fill and being cast iron it lost heat quickly. I put it in the classified ads in Country Living for £1000 and it sold the first day the magazine came out. It took 6 men to get it out of the house. If I had 30 of them I could have sold them all. The phone didnt stop ringing for weeks.

Top Bottom