Money laundering

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I chucked my riding kit in the washing machine this evening after a fairly sweaty ride. I'd popped a tenner in the button down pocket of my shorts before I'd gone just in case I needed ice cream or cake.

Post wash, I remembered about the aforementioned tenner. No sign of it! Checked the inside of the drum.. Nope.
flapped all the damp laundry about to see if bits of tenner dropped out. Nope.
Nothing. Must have dissolved, thought I.

Then I remembered that I'd put in the ID pouch in my backpack!

Phew!

:laugh:

classic33

Leg End Member
I chucked my riding kit in the washing machine this evening after a fairly sweaty ride. I'd popped a tenner in the button down pocket of my shorts before I'd gone just in case I needed ice cream or cake.

Post wash, I remembered about the aforementioned tenner. No sign of it! Checked the inside of the drum.. Nope.
flapped all the damp laundry about to see if bits of tenner dropped out. Nope.
Nothing. Must have dissolved, thought I.

Then I remembered that I'd put in the ID pouch in my backpack!

Phew!

:laugh:
You'll be safe when the new notes come out

Edited to add the issue date
The new fiver will be issued on 13 September 2016.

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
My friend washed her phone a while back ,very clean but broken lol..
the new notes should be great as i hate tatty sweaty dirty old money,unless i have a lot of it of course

classic33

Leg End Member
Will we still be able to roll them up for the "sniff"?
Answer seems to be No.
http://www.thenewfiver.co.uk/

Sharky

Guru
September for the fiver. My mate working at the BoE has been responsible for the project. Tenner next year IIRC
My old boss had worked for the BofE. He told me that he had BofE staff account with cheque book. But often shops refused to take them thinking they were not a "real " bank!

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Plastic fivers ??? Could of swore that we already had them ?? Ones I`ve seen are plastic feeling and have a clear patch on them as well ??

Globalti

Legendary Member
Plastic bank notes in the smaller denominations have been in use in Nigeria for about 15 years since the notes get handled a lot and vigorously in wet weather by market traders and bus touts. There's nothing more disgusting or insanitary than a limp, damp, filthy stinking bank note.

I can't be bothered to look it up but I think they are made by a British company called De La Rue.

Sharky

Guru
They don't anymore. They shut their retail arm down earlier this year.

I used to have a Bank of England cheque book for work but they stopped that about 8 years ago.
Think my old boss must have been at the BofE pre 1980.

Vidor06

Long term loafer
Northern Bank in NI produced a run of plastic fivers about 10 years ago. They claimed that the notes were indestructible. They werent.
A group of us get together and play poker and we call it the 'Manky Fiver Invitational' as we put in a fiver at the start, play for chips and the winner claims all the fivers. One of the Northern Bank fivers, which the shops wont accept due to damage, is always played for and the winner can then use it to pay into the next game as they cant spend it anywhere.

Top Bottom