Mont Ventoux

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bikeman66

Hi all,
Anyone out there ridden Mont Ventoux? I drove up it while I was on holiday in August, and was inspired by the constant stream of men' women and kids climbing via the Bedoin route. Made me wish I had my bike with me (MTB at the time). When I got home, I got straight on the net and bought myself a nice new Felt F95 and promised myself I'd ride to the top of Ventoux before I was 50 (19 months). First time back on a road bike for about 30 years was an eye opener, but thoroughly enjoyable too. I'm planning to go back down to Avignon in late April with a few mates for a week of cycling and a crack at Ventoux. We're jumping straight in at the deep end and doing the Bedoin route and I'm hoping for about 2 hours for the 22km and 1600 metres height gain. Anyone done this route and how long did it take? Also, I'm planning to make it a circular ride and descend via the road down to Malaucene. Anyone know of any nasty surprises on this descent? Any advice welcomed.

screenman

Legendary Member
I am out there week after next, one of our kids lives at the bottom of it.

Not taking a bike this time, but I will ride it next year, just to try and beat the time my eldest did it in.

bianchi1

Guru
Ive done it a few times :thumbsup:

Its not that bad if you catch it on a good day. How it is, is so dependent on the weather, more so than any other climb I have ever done.

The wind and/or heat can be a real issue. Perhaps if you are not so confident you could give yourself a few days in the area and tackle it on a good day..but sods law states that the best days will be just before you get there and just after you leave.

The descent to Malaucene is not that technical, in fact I think managed 52 mph down it and I am a very cautious descender.

Enjoy the ride anyway...and dont forget to drink plenty of the local vino!

I think you will need a spot of luck in April with the weather. Wind is the real killer, the last time I cycled up from Malaucene I had to walk most of the way down to Chalet Reynard, the wind was that strong it was flinging boulders across the road :O hardly noticable on the way up!

The descent into Malaucene is relatively straightforward, the tightest corners are the first couple dropping from the summit. Clocked 95 kph according to GPS

My best time is 2hrs 10 mins, but being old fat and foolish doesn't help :smile:

http://www.strava.com/activities/125594253

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Nip over to Meltham and do the 3.1 km steep part of the climb to Wessenden Head in 18.5 minutes. Stop the clock and descend to the start. Repeat 5.5 times. That's about equivalent to a 2 hour ascent of Mont Ventoux ... :whistle:

My best time is 2hrs 10 mins, but being old fat and foolish doesn't help :smile:
Good effort!

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I was very lucky when I rode it this summer the mountain didn't live up to it's name! It was a beautiful sunny day until we got to the last bit where the trees peter out. The lack of vent meant that the one cloud that was in the sky sat on the summit unmoving.
I didn't time myself. I enjoyed the views, stopped at Tommy Simpsons memorial and generally got overtaken by lots of very serious looking people staring at the road one meter in front of their front wheel :bicycle:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yeah, but the start isn't at sea level though. I think you'll find that the elevation gain on the Bedoin route is around 1600 metres.
I think the point was probably about reduced oxygen levels at the summit - 20% less, rather than the 5% or so on the smaller Yorkshire climb that I referred to. Or maybe that 22 km of continuous hard climbing is something that you just can't do in the UK. I often do more than 1,600 metres of climbing on my rides round here but there are always descents to recover on between the climbs.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I know what you mean. A few years ago, staying on a campsite near Largentier, I rode most evenings up a climb to a col and back. From the top you could see Ventoux as clear as a clear thing. Unfortunately the map showed it to be about 100 miles by car. With about three hours drive each way and another 2-3 to roll down and climb back up, it was just out of reach.
I wish I was that close :sad:. All those lovely cycling mountains, and no easy way to get there. I live roughly 16,600km away from Mont Ventoux.

Top Bottom