Motorist Found Guilty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

whoosh

So, last October a guy overtook me on a narrow estate road as I was approaching a big van parked on the right. Yes he pushed me into the kerb and me and the bike suffered somewhat when we somersaulted along tbe pavement. I did bang on his window in an attempt to warn him while he was alongside me but to no avail. He did not stop, apparently as he feared for his and his wife's life, he said I was swearing at them from the floor. He pleaded not guilty to failing to stop at the scene.
Found guilty
£400 fine
6 points
£640 court costs
£50 victim surcharge
His own solicitor costs
Now I need my bike repair, helmet & clothing replacement money and my personal injury claim settling
Hearing was at Teesside Magistrates Court Fri 15th Aug pm

thecube

Good news. What evidence did you have? It makes you wonder why he took it to court rather than just pay up. The fatc that they don't stop is a disgrace, how can you knock someone off their bike and drive off, makes you wonder how they sleep at night.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Great result. Do you get the fifty quid? I guess you are perusing him through his car insurance company.
Good news. What evidence did you have? It makes you wonder why he took it to court rather than just pay up. makes you wonder how they sleep at night.
I am guessing it was the police that took him to court, so he wouldn't have had much choice in the matter. They sleep fine, no scruples.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Well done! Was it "didn't see you" or "sun was in my eyes" or "scum cyclist don't pay road tax"? Was he contrite? I guess what I'm saying is is this an outcome you're happy with in the circs or would you have been pushing for a ban/retest/something else?

Best of luck with the civil claim. Hopefulyl the guilty verdict should make that process a lot less troublesome

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Good.I'm glad the court worked out well this time. Has he been told by the court that he must now provide his insurance details? Sounds like its going to cost the insurer a fair whack.

Hope you've healed well and are not too deeply affected by it!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
So glad that the driver got done. All too often it's a case of 'it's only a cyclist'.
Feared for his life?? Are you some sort of gladiator chap? I'd probably have been swearing from the floor too!!

I hope that the civil claim goes well.

OP
OP
W

whoosh

He said i was meandering in the road in front of him, he sounded his horn to say he was there and then apparently i moved into the gutter to let him pass me - he said he gave me plenty of room 2 feet or 18 inches. He heard banging on tbe car and shouting, then i fell off. He said he stopped for 7 seconds looked at me (he did not)and drove off as he was frightened. I got his reg and called the police. Sadly the due care and attention charge was dropped due to insufficient evidence. CPS prosecuted him I was called as a witness. He said that I only fell off my bike so what was the problem. Yes I have a free legal cover solicitor pursuing my claim.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I wouldn't be banging on his window I would be banging on my brakes to get out of his way ! There are too many idiots on the road to think that because you are in the right they are going to agree with you .

Crankarm

Guru
Result! I'm glad the c**t has got his comeuppence. Next will be the huge bill you will present to his insurer ……………………..

Name and shame him as it is a matter of public record now.

OP
OP
W

whoosh

Banging my brakes on would not have helped, he was already forcing me onto the kerb, I might have ended up under his wheels by doing that. When I see it reported in the local news I might copy the info here

Top Bottom