MP not getting it!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
Despite being generally regarded as a bit of a politician botherer, I wrote to my new MP for the first time since she was elected in the most recent general election.

I wrote to her by email about the loophole in the law that allows motorists to evade justice for serious criminal offences by claiming they didn't know who was driving at the time of the offence, instead being prosecuted for the less serious offence of failing to name the driver.

To illustrate the point, I provided a link to the case that has been in the press over the last week or so of the cyclist in Nottingham who was very seriously injured when a driver rea ennded him, yet despite having very clear footage the police/CPS failed to secure a conviction due to the above loophole.

My MP wrote back, thanking me for bringing the matter to her attention and that she would forward my message to the minister responsible for CYCLING!!!!

I've written back respectfully pointing out that this is not a cycling matter and asking her to forward it to whoever is responsible for road traffic legislation, but feel very disappointed that someone in her position surmised from my correspondence that this was a cycling issue.

Maybe I should have been more explicit, but how does anyone come to that conclusion in these circumstances.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Slopey shoulders.. Someone else's job to sort.
Typical politicians response.
Well done for trying though.

martint235

Dog on a bike
That's an MP for you. Scans the letter, hands it to someone else saying "Draft me a response to this, it mentions cycling". Signs it and sends it to you. If you're really lucky, they'll respond by email rather than letter. Now your MP has sent it on to the minister responsible for cycling, they won't even see your letter. It'll be responded to by an official and then signed by the minister. They may even use a stock letter for the first response.

Always worth chasing them up to stress it's not a cycling issue.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Probably a reply drafted by an assistant that was close enough that the MP didn't spot the error at a quick glance at the two before signing :sad: Yes, please write again to clarify and ask if they'll take a more appropriate action :thumbsup:

martint235

Dog on a bike
Just as an aside, I spent some time as a Private Secretary to a minister. My boss took a call from our Correspondence Unit and I got called in to see her.

Her: You've sent a letter back to be redrafted.
Me: Yes. The grammar was incorrect and I didn't want the minister to sign and send it like that.
Her: But it's a stock letter. We don't redraft them.
Me: But it's incorrect grammar. Did no one check it before it became a stock response?
Her: Yes I did.
Me: Well at least it's ok from now on.

And we voted that MP

Tim Hall

Just as an aside, I spent some time as a Private Secretary to a minister. My boss took a call from our Correspondence Unit and I got called in to see her.

Me: Yes. The grammar was incorrect and I didn't want the minister to sign and send it like that.
Me: But it's incorrect grammar. Did no one check it before it became a stock response?
<tries to imagine Tall Martin being played by Derek Fowlds. Nope>

steveindenmark

Legendary Member

Did you write the scripts for Yes Minister ^_^

Top Bottom