MTB 29er £600 - Evans Cycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

evo456

Über Member
Right got my latest ride 2 work scheme allowance this year 1k. I'm looking to get a MTB 29er, yes it would be used for commuting, I have various other bikes that could do the trip, but a MTB will be more comfortable when the tow paths I use get very wet and muddy. That said, I would want to spend only around 6-700 range as I would like to get other accessories.

Recommendations, experiences welcome, the challenge are:-

Has to be 29er- so i could swap around my 700c tyres from all my other bikes
Has to be from Evans cycle
Triple crank
Air fork with lock out- I'm undecided about this, maybe convinced with a good coil fork with remote lockout
Hydraulic brakes - pref Shimano
At lest midspec drive chain- no Acer stuff

A Voodoo bizango would of been perfect but that's not available from Evans, the bikes that hoover in those requirements are mostly Cannondale - and the trade off is between £££ and coil forks. Is air sprung the real deal?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Right got my latest ride 2 work scheme allowance this year 1k. I'm looking to get a MTB 29er, yes it would be used for commuting, I have various other bikes that could do the trip, but a MTB will be more comfortable when the tow paths I use get very wet and muddy. That said, I would want to spend only around 6-700 range as I would like to get other accessories.

Recommendations, experiences welcome, the challenge are:-

Has to be 29er- so i could swap around my 700c tyres from all my other bikes
Has to be from Evans cycle
Triple crank
Air fork with lock out- I'm undecided about this, maybe convinced with a good coil fork with remote lockout
Hydraulic brakes - pref Shimano
At lest midspec drive chain- no Acer stuff

A Voodoo bizango would of been perfect but that's not available from Evans, the bikes that hoover in those requirements are mostly Cannondale - and the trade off is between £££ and coil forks. Is air sprung the real deal?
I made the same choice, but very quickly found out a 29er just wasnt needed. Suspension forks are heavy and just not needed unless doing pretty rough riding. Certainly wouldnt help in the wet/mud.

Buy a quick light hybrid/cx bike and enjoy a better ride. Something like the cannondale quick cx4

OP
OP
E

evo456

Über Member
I made the same choice, but very quickly found out a 29er just wasnt needed. Suspension forks are heavy and just not needed unless doing pretty rough riding. Certainly wouldnt help in the wet/mud.

Buy a quick light hybrid/cx bike and enjoy a better ride. Something like the cannondale quick cx4

Thanks, I do have a hybrid and a CX and I know what you mean. But I've ridden a 29er after swapping bikes on the same commute, and the comfort on rough stuff and sure footedness in the mud could not be compared, so it is the better ride depending on state of the paths.

Heisenberg

Regular
I think air forks are much better than coil. They are generally much lighter and where they may benefit you for your requirements is they can be easily adjusted to suit. For example you can run them with higher pressure than normal so they will Bob around and dive less than lower end coil forks tend to but still work when required. If the coil forks come with the right spring fitted to suit your weight and they have decent compression adjustment then it may not be so much of an issue. A rigid 29er might be worth checking out also with 2.25 tyres or similar. The Scott scale at the top is very nice by the way. In reality any would be fine for what you want though.

OP
OP
E

evo456

Über Member
Thanks @Heisenberg. This is it, I know the air fork will be lighter and more customisable, never tried a good quality coil fork, only had experience of low end budget forks which should be less of an issue at the price bracket I'm looking at. Not looking for rigid forks at the moment, because I can have the same kind of riding experience on the CX. The Scott Scale is a v nice bike, that was the bike I swapped with a colleague to test ride, amazingly comfortable and 'light' for the size of bike which inspired the N+n thoughts.

Heisenberg

Regular
I must admit my only experience of coil forks has been either on an entry level bike and dual crown forks on a downhill bike so I may be a bit off. I would look at the wheels too maybe as I find that when I swap to new wheels or much lighter tyres the bikes feel alot better and may make a more noticeable difference

OP
OP
E

evo456

Über Member
So now down to a choice of 2, dropped the air forks as the coil forks at the price range feel progressive and a remote lock out is a boon. Leaning more towards the Trek as it felt nice to sit on, though the cannondale is lighter and has some other features like the 1.5in steerer, Rockshox over Suntour.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/trail-3-sl-29er-2014-mountain-bike-ec054931
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/x-caliber-8-e-2014-mountain-bike-ec053723

OP
OP
E

evo456

Über Member
How about a Saracen? these guts are affiliated to Evans Cycle Scheme as well so you can use voucher with them i DId as no Evans in the area

Given that I live in London, don't think this would be an option and the trek and .cannondale spec looks close ish. Question is does a 1.5 in steered tube makes a huge difference. Like 26 in wheels, I'm sure the previous proven standards are fit for purpose.

Top Bottom