Mud Guards - Recomendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom B

Guru
Guys

I have a Ridgeback Flight Commuter fitted with disk brakes (no clearance issues).

The bike has lugs on the dropouts for mudguards.

I'm a lone rider so not bothered about rearwards spray, Ive spent the last couple of days looking the various mudguards available and succeeded in confusing myself.

Can someone please recommend me a set. Id rather pay a bit more and get something decent that doesn't fall to bits... Not too fussed about weight, but rattles, jangles and rubs will drive me insane.

If you get the "right" speed then you will not need mudguards.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
SKS Chromoplastics on my disc braked commuter for over 3yrs now and they have been great with little in the way of maintenance required. The rearmost rivets in the back guard rotted out after 2 winters and the rearmost rivets in the front guard popped out after a crash a little while after. Both easily fixed with a few replacement rivets fired in from my hand held riveter. Apart from that there have been no rattles or rubs, although I did fit them myself and I am pretty good at stuff like that :thumbsup:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Another for SKS chromoplastics mudguards.

And mudguards not only help you not to have a badger stripe but also the person behind not to get it in their face. Mr summerdays initially didn't want them until he ruined a new top and had to either ride well ahead of me or behind on a whole ride.

And I hate it in winter when someone over takes then slows in front of you leaving you getting all the road muck in your face (it's been so dry recently I'd forgotten about this annoyance!)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
SKS chromoplastics last 5 years on my fixed commuter. Never an ounce of trouble. Both my brake bridge and chain stay bridge are drilled and tapped for guards so this helps with longevity. They don't rattle either.

I also have SKS Raceblade Longs on a bike that has very little clearance and they work a treat too. Slightly more diddly to set up, but once done they work well.

Rear guards stop the crud flying up your back.

OP
OP
Tom B

Tom B

Guru
Cheers, sks chromoplatics were one if the ones I considered but read some negative reviews about breakages.

Course those with negative experience and much more motivated to review Imho.

I agree rear mudguard is needed, just a massive length was not.... Never mind the badgerstripe, I don't want my butties getting soggy!

Last edited:

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
SKS chromo's get my vote too- stuck them on my original commuter and they have outlived two sets of Giant specific ones on my road bike.

inkd

Yep, another for SKS chromo`s fit and forget.

jayonabike