Muffin's last day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
Muffin is the lovely little Westie in my avatar, but he's no more. I had to do the right thing for him on Saturday, the right thing, but so hard to do. His end was very peaceful, cuddled by me as he went. He never saw or felt the needle, just slipped away.
It was his time; not in pain, but going blind, nearly deaf, and suffering from canine dementia. His last day was nice weather, he had a nice walk, a naughty custard cream biscuit, and lots of love right to the end.
We had 14 wonderful years with him in our lives, and I can honestly say that every single day was a nice day for him.
I'm glad I did what had to be done without hanging on too long, but I do miss him so, so much. I think it will be quite some time before the tears stop coming.
Goodbye Muffin, one in a million.
DSCN0028.JPG

It's always heart-wrenching when a much-loved pet dies or has to be put down.

Sounds like he had a great 14 years with you, and you with him. And you still have the memories.

Give it time, then get another:not a replacement but another friend you can spend good times with.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I dread the day when I need to do the same with either of my 2. You did the right thing, let him go while he's not in pain.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
He looked a contented dog right up to the end. Our dear old black cat is in a similar state compounded by a tumour in his face. He is happy enough at the moment but it won't be long. He won't quite make 20. I hope we'll be able to make the same decision when we have to.

robjh

Legendary Member
So sorry to hear your news.
I've been there and remember the pain, even when you know you have done the right thing.
We managed 5 days before getting another dog. The house just seemed so empty and so wrong without a 4-legged companion in there. You never forget the one you've lost, but a new dog provides a whole new set of joys.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
So sorry for you loss @Eribiste. I know that pain and the decision you had to make. It sounds like he could not have wished for a nicer end or better person to share it with. *manly hug and wipes away a small tear in sympathy*

TrishE

Über Member
My yorkie pip is 13 and is being kept going with antibiotics and steroids I know I'm going to have to make the same decision but at the moment he's plodding on and not suffering.

Dogs are great companions and when I do lose pip I've got Bonnie which is mainly why I got her, not as a replacement but I've been left alone each time I've lost a dog so rather than go to pieces this time I planned ahead but can't bear the thought of losing pip it's the worst part of having them.

Sounds like you can give a dog a happy secure home when you're ready to.

Top Bottom