Musicians you like now but didn't realise you did for years.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
I first saw EJ at the Radio 1 summer of 84 concert at Wembly. It was an all day affair and we had fab seats next to the VIP box. We ended up sitting next to Pamela Stephenson and Billy Connelly and their little girl Daisy. What a hoot they were.

Anyway EJ was the top bill and final act. What a showman he was. 2 solid hours of entertainment, outrageous costume changes and amazing audience rapport.

A true musical entertainer.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Van Morrison - I absolutely hated him at university.

Mrs Vernon frequently reminds me of the time that she told me that she liked him and my instant response was "No you don't"

Anyhow I saw him several years ago in York and he was everything that I'd read about him; arrogant, non communicative and fastidious about the timing of his shows - there was a sign at the Box Office saying that the performance would start at 20:00 and finish at 21:30. He was second perfect.

What I wasn't prepared for was a sublime performance with one of the tightest bands that I've ever seen. He never once talked to the crowd or introduced any of his songs. To be honest, talking would have robbed me of precious performance time. I spent the majority of the gig sitting with my eyes closed enraptured by his music.

I left in awe.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Chuck Berry

I wanted to pat Chuck Berry on the head with a shovel back in the early seventies. I paid a premium price for a gig of his at Newcastle City Hall only to see a twenty five minute set and ten minutes of those were taken up by his daughter? performing substandard shite.

I was robbed.

I believe it might have been the era of him demanding his fee, up front, in cash, before he walked on the stage.

I've never forgiven him.

Diggs

Veteran
Probably about 50% of all the musicians my mate dragged me to obscure gigs to see over the years (and God only knows how many didn't make the shortlist)

RichardB

Slightly retro
For me, Roy Orbison. Didn't like him when I was a teenager, but love his voice now. I think what switched me over was listening to The Traveling Wilburys (End of the Line) where you can hear his voice through all the others - very distinctive and a wonderful quality. Otherwise, the stuff I liked then, I like now, and the stuff I didn't like, I still don't, mostly. For some reason, I never 'got' Van Morrison.

Top Bottom