Musicians you like now but didn't realise you did for years.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4132579, member: 259"]We listened to Sir Elton on The First Time on 6 Music a few days ago. I've never consciously been keen on most of his stuff, but it was a really good programme - he is first and foremost a big music fan and I really enjoyed the things he played.

Since then we've been listening to loads of his music, and I must say, some of it is superb - inevitably most of it's from about 40 years ago, though :rolleyes: , and the singing is a bit shouty at times, but the man is a proper good pianist.

Prepares for incoming shrapnel.[/QUOTE]
I am the other way round regarding EJ..
I loved the Goodbye Yellow Brick Road album in the mid 70's, but he later became a pretentious nobber IMHO..
Pink was a singer I didn't think I liked, and when my sister in law presented me with her (Pink, not the s-i-l) greatest hits album for Christmas a few years back, I hope I managed to disguise my "WTF is this?" reaction. Having succumbed to actually putting it in the CD player, I discovered she is actually quite good.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
heretic.jpeg
[QUOTE 4132645, member: 259"]Everything except the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald![/QUOTE]

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I wanted to pat Chuck Berry on the head with a shovel back in the early seventies. I paid a premium price for a gig of his at Newcastle City Hall only to see a twenty five minute set and ten minutes of those were taken up by his daughter? performing substandard shite.

I was robbed.

I believe it might have been the era of him demanding his fee, up front, in cash, before he walked on the stage.

I've never forgiven him.

Reminds me of the time a mate and I made a lot of effort, including a lengthy journey, to see John Martyn, only to have him turn up on stage, accompany some recorded backing track (no other musicians) for somewhere shy of an hour, with a painfully obvious lack of enthusiasm, interest, or concern for the paying punters, then leave. Bye.

Apparently he was notorious for it. Sometimes he turned up, sometimes he phoned it in.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I have recently begun to like Van Morrison too. Someone bought me a CD and it finally made it to the car CD player a few months ago, and I've really enjoyed listening to it. I knew most of the tracks beforehand and liked them, individually.

John Mayer is someone I've been enjoying lately too. I know a lot of his music from ages ago but, until this last year or so, didn't realise that I liked him so much.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I have recently begun to like Van Morrison too. Someone bought me a CD and it finally made it to the car CD player a few months ago, and I've really enjoyed listening to it. I knew most of the tracks beforehand and liked them, individually.

John Mayer is someone I've been enjoying lately too. I know a lot of his music from ages ago but, until this last year or so, didn't realise that I liked him so much.
Try the Album Veedon Fleece from 74, it was the LP that got me into Van. Quite an obscure album by him though, I was talking with an Irish musician friend and when he said "what's your favourite album by him" and I answered "Veedon Fleece" he hadn't even heard of it. A really good 'late night' quiet album though one of the first 'mystic' LPs he did, influenced by William Blake amongst others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Z1vYs5LBC3c

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Reminds me of the time a mate and I made a lot of effort, including a lengthy journey, to see John Martyn, only to have him turn up on stage, accompany some recorded backing track (no other musicians) for somewhere shy of an hour, with a painfully obvious lack of enthusiasm, interest, or concern for the paying punters, then leave. Bye.

Apparently he was notorious for it. Sometimes he turned up, sometimes he phoned it in.
I saw him a couple of times and he was excellent but I have heard of other times when he could scarcely be bothered.

A friend of mine spotted Martyn drinking and reading a paper in a Coventry pub, pre-gig. My pal walked over and started telling JM how much he liked the Solid Air album. The star looked over the top of his paper and snarled "F***k Off!!!" so that was the end of that conversation with the fans! :laugh:

claudbutler

Johnny cash . my son told me to give him a listen what a discovery

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Just buy all the American Recordings albums, even the posthumous ones are worth having though not up to the high standards of the first four. The first ('American Recordings') and IV are the best. I have the lot and the 'Unearthed' box set (one disc best of I-IV, one disc of old gospel songs, three discs of previously unreleased recordings) which is well worth tracking down.

Top Bottom