Musicians you like now but didn't realise you did for years.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
It would appear from a number of Café threads that anyone who dies becomes "the best musician ever" and become part of a magnificent "band in the sky"
Brian Johnson on lead vocals?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
[QUOTE 4132579, member: 259"]We listened to Sir Elton on The First Time on 6 Music a few days ago. I've never consciously been keen on most of his stuff, but it was a really good programme - he is first and foremost a big music fan and I really enjoyed the things he played.

Since then we've been listening to loads of his music, and I must say, some of it is superb - inevitably most of it's from about 40 years ago, though :rolleyes: , and the singing is a bit shouty at times, but the man is a proper good pianist.

Prepares for incoming shrapnel.[/QUOTE]
Not a fan of EJ at all (although Rocket Man's OK).. but that was one of the best The First Time editions I've heard. Can't stand Noel Gallagher either, but his was a good listen too. All to often on The First Time the guests seem to quickly move on to the music they've made rather than sticking with the music they love and inspired them, as if the point of the show is self promotion, but Noel and Elton didn't. They both came across as decent blokes too.

Years ago i 'discovered' Burt Bacharach after picking up a compilation in a charity shop (it was 30p and i bought it for the cheesy 70s cover, no other reason)... i gave it a spin and was flabbergasted that he penned all those classic tunes that made up a good chunk of the soundtrack of my childhood. The songs he penned with Hal David are cheesy as cheddar but mostly excellent, the stuff after the split with Hal is mostly dire.

Last edited:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
[QUOTE 4132579, member: 259"]but the man is a proper good pianist.

[/QUOTE]
I think EJ wanted to be a Classical Pianist, but his fingers were too short to reach the widest chords, so he turned to rock and roll instead.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Nothing!!

Because of my hearing, I was never into music and I couldn't have cared less (even now, I don't care about the people, only the tune/song).
That was until I could listen to things privately on iTunes without fear of getting laughed at or ridiculed (I grew up in a musical household (which made matters worse), but I knew next to nothing about things myself).

As such, I have started listening to things as an adult (although sometimes I wonder) without any preconceptions or opinions. My collection is now varied, free flowing, healthy and organic.... Or something.
That said, I have started off loving things and ending up hating them!

Last edited:

Venod

Eh up
Anyhow I saw him several years ago in York

Was that at the Barbican ? if so I was there, I also love his music but his attitude could use improvement.

I dismissed Adele as another manufactured pop star without really listening, how wrong I was, what a voice what a talent.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I was never really a fan of Rory Gallagher, I think it was cos I'd heard some of his studio records from the mid 70s on which the production was dreadful (and listening to those LPs or the CD versions of them they were so 'overproduced that all the 'soul' had been taken out of his playing) but Maz has always been a massive fan and eventually played me some of his 'good stuff' (far better live than was ever on the recordings)
All I can say is when Jimi Hendrix was asked by a journalist " What does it feel like to be the best guitarist in the world" his reply was "I dunno, you better ask Rory Gallagher"

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c9VWTbTW8k&feature=player_detailpage

Top Bottom