Musicians you like now but didn't realise you did for years.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Abba. Dancing Queen is an absolutely brilliant pop song.
[media]

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFrGuyw1V8s
[/media]

I bought my first serious girlfriend a picture disc copy of Voulez-Vous in 81, after we'd been split up for a while I saw her and asked her what happened to it, she said she'd given it away. "That's a shame" I said "It's worth around £100 now"..........................The look on her face was priceless. :rofl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=za05HBtGsgU

EDIT- there is one on the bay for £225, do you think I should tell her next time I see her (we still have some old mutual friends and I do bump into her from time to time)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ABBA-Voul...Disc-LP-in-Die-Cut-sleeve-Vinyl-/381530225550

Last edited:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I used to like a lot of trashy pop rubbish when I was little, and hated anything heavy, thrashy or edgy.
Now?
Anything like Slipnot, Funeral for a Friend, Metallica, Iron Maiden, I love.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Pink Floyd, Metallica & Motley Crue ...

back in the early 80's I was deeply rooted * calling @Fnaar * in classic rock & blues, stuff like Led Zepp, Clapton, Lynyrd Skynyrd & the Allman Brothers etc ...

I had always thought of Floyd as overly indulgent & pretentious Uni graduates & Metallica & the Crue were a tad lairy for me at the time, however by the late 80's I was hooked.

It took me until the early 90's to get into Bowie's stuff & the likes of Ozzy & Sabbath.

Never be without their wonderful music now though.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Pink was a singer I didn't think I liked, and when my sister in law presented me with her (Pink, not the s-i-l) greatest hits album for Christmas a few years back, I hope I managed to disguise my "WTF is this?" reaction. Having succumbed to actually putting it in the CD player, I discovered she is actually quite good.
I didn't know much about her initially but her indoors played her albums quite a lot & dragged my along to a Pink gig at Manchester's MEN Arena as it was then.

A superb gig & it has to be said, she is HOT !!!

SteCenturion

I am your Father
I have to add a +1 for @Saluki 's John Mayer, although with my musical taste I was always going to find his music, great guitarist who can switch effortlessly between blues/rock/country style.

Talking of country music, always hated it with a passion, however a good few years ago I discovered Aussie singer/guitarist Keith Urban while sitting watching a gig video in a bar in Pefkos, another great guitarist/singer who crosses over from country/rock.

Since the K. Urban discovery & only say 18 months or 2 years back I found Brad Paisley, dynamite country guitarist/singer.

& last but not least, I only found Neil Young off the back of Skynyrds Sweet Home Alabama lyrics, though this goes way back.

Seriously, for anyone with even an ounce of intetest in country or just great guitar work, check out Urban, Paisley & Mayer.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I have to add a +1 for @Saluki 's John Mayer, although with my musical taste I was always going to find his music, great guitarist who can switch effortlessly between blues/rock/country style.

Talking of country music, always hated it with a passion, however a good few years ago I discovered Aussie singer/guitarist Keith Urban while sitting watching a gig video in a bar in Pefkos, another great guitarist/singer who crosses over from country/rock.

Since the K. Urban discovery & only say 18 months or 2 years back I found Brad Paisley, dynamite country guitarist/singer.

& last but not least, I only found Neil Young off the back of Skynyrds Sweet Home Alabama lyrics, though this goes way back.

Seriously, for anyone with even an ounce of intetest in country or just great guitar work, check out Urban, Paisley & Mayer.
My boss is astonished that it took so long for me to get into John Mayer but, I have a small Eric Johnson obsession that I have harboured for several years now. Some music just passed me by. I haven't listened to Keith Urban for a while. I am off for a rummage around my CD box now.

MrPie

Telling it like it is since 1971
Bumbled through my formative years absolutely loving certain musicians / bands with no apparent reason until I saw Nile Rodgers on the Pharrell Williams / Daft Punk 'Get Lucky' song. I knew who he was, but didn't really know of his prolific influence until I carried out a wee bit of research. Initially kicked off with Sheila B Devotion 'Spacer' when I was a nipper, admired Chic, Sister Sledge, Diana Ross from afar, then Bowie, Duran Duran, Madonna, INXS, etc, etc......it all fell into place. The man is an absolute genius and is essentially the reason I play guitar today......just didn't know it when I started.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
Bumbled through my formative years absolutely loving certain musicians / bands with no apparent reason until I saw Nile Rodgers on the Pharrell Williams / Daft Punk 'Get Lucky' song. I knew who he was, but didn't really know of his prolific influence until I carried out a wee bit of research. Initially kicked off with Sheila B Devotion 'Spacer' when I was a nipper, admired Chic, Sister Sledge, Diana Ross from afar, then Bowie, Duran Duran, Madonna, INXS, etc, etc......it all fell into place. The man is an absolute genius and is essentially the reason I play guitar today......just didn't know it when I started.

Keep an eye out on BBC4 for a documentary called something like "The Hitmaker" - all about Nile Rodgers. They repeat it from time to time, usually on a Friday night along with other related music programmes.

I've learnt a lot about musicians and bands I never knew much about through BBC4's Friday night programmes - Jeff Lynne and ELO, Bee Gees, 10cc, Chas and Dave, and I've got some Roy Orbison stuff to go through too.

In the same way you were surprised at Niles' influence, I was amazed at how many artists Chas and Dave had played with...

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I was never really a fan of Rory Gallagher, I think it was cos I'd heard some of his studio records from the mid 70s on which the production was dreadful (and listening to those LPs or the CD versions of them they were so 'overproduced that all the 'soul' had been taken out of his playing) but Maz has always been a massive fan and eventually played me some of his 'good stuff' (far better live than was ever on the recordings)
All I can say is when Jimi Hendrix was asked by a journalist " What does it feel like to be the best guitarist in the world" his reply was "I dunno, you better ask Rory Gallagher"

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c9VWTbTW8k&feature=player_detailpage

I saw Taste live loads of times in the late '60s and early '70s. Much better live than studio, as you said.

RichardB

Slightly retro
I saw Taste live loads of times in the late '60s and early '70s. Much better live than studio, as you said.
I bought On The Boards on the strength of a single listen to Taste and I still listen to it. Does anyone remember Man? Welsh band from the early 70s, they live in the same subfolder of my brain that Taste occupy.

Top Bottom