My BSA Javelin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
God this takes me back, I remember seeing a lot of these in the 1970s. I seem to remember myself always thinking that there something wrong with the BSA image, it wasn't a Carlton or a Raleigh and didnt have the kudos...

That said it just a Raleigh brand, this should clean up nicely indeed. I remember those plastic saddle being pretty hard too!
laugh.gif

kewb

God this takes me back, I remember seeing a lot of these in the 1970s. I seem to remember myself always thinking that there something wrong with the BSA image, it wasn't a Carlton or a Raleigh and didnt have the kudos...

That said it just a Raleigh brand, this should clean up nicely indeed. I remember those plastic saddle being pretty hard too!
laugh.gif
i remember thinking that bsa sounded very european and cinzano martini ,ish i thought i had a eddy mercks  :biggrin: :blush:

then i saw bsa airgun and my dreams were shatered i went from cafe italia to pie n chips my next bike was a claude butler i knew that was european with a name like claude .

bagpuss

Guru
i remember thinking that bsa sounded very european and cinzano martini ,ish i thought i had a eddy mercks :biggrin: :blush:

then i saw bsa airgun and my dreams were shatered i went from cafe italia to pie n chips my next bike was a claude butler i knew that was european with a name like claude .

Yes indeed ,BSA air sporter,one of the most powerful air guns of this day.I learnt to shot with one.{Tin cans mostly}
A good link here to BSA,British Small Arms.
http://madeinbirmingham.org/bsa.htm
http://oldbike.wordpress.com/1910-bsa-ladies-cycle/

Goldie

Über Member
Here's a couple of photos of my mighty BSA Tour de France, which has now moved down south:

DSC02337.jpg

DSC02338.jpg

DSC02340.jpg

I am getting a real soft spot for the solid bright colours and chunky block lettering of '70's BSAs.

Spokesmann

Here's a couple of photos of my mighty BSA Tour de France, which has now moved down south:

DSC02337.jpg

DSC02338.jpg

DSC02340.jpg

I am getting a real soft spot for the solid bright colours and chunky block lettering of '70's BSAs.

Another blast from the past, brilliant. Id almost forgotten about this model!
laugh.gif

Forgotten I'd posted this haha.

Finally got a chance to start training properly. 100 miles and still going strong. The old steed has life in her yet!

I hardened up and didn't get a saddle cover or nothing, it's fine after the initial mile of ow ow ow ow over each slight bump.

I'll get a decent picture of it next time I'm out. It polished up well indeed!

Spokesmann

Bump! How are the BSAs doing chaps?

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I am going to do up my Dad's Silver BSA Courier from the '70s as a winter bike so this thread has been useful to me already.

Before I do though, is there any specific type of grease to get when re - greasing?

Secondly, Adam, you said that you de - rusted it. How do you do that?? as the Courier has rather rusty wheels and handlebars, but also has small bits of rust in other places. I can get new wheels (and probably drop handlebars, something it doesn't have but I want), but what of the rest of it??

Thanks, I'm glad I am not the only eejit doing this!

One thing though, when I have beeen out on it in it's unrestored (but cleaned up) state, I have been informed by some that BSA actually stands for

'Best Scrap Available'. :blush:

Top Bottom