My first roadie - the good, the bad and the painful

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DDE

So I've been riding my first roadie for about a week now, commuting to and fro work.

It's this Canondale Synapse for anyone interested: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/synapse-8-sora-triple-2014-road-bike-ec054418

Firstly, I absolutely love my bike. I'm smashing all my Strava stages (understandable as they were set on an MTB!) and have cut precious minutes off my commute.

I have so many experiences and questions already.

(1) I'm spending most of my time on the hoods which is normal. I sort of feel like I might be putting too much weight on my hands. It starts to feel a little sore on the bit between the thumb and fingers where I grip the hoods. Is this just because I'm not used to it and I'll soon not notice, or is it something else? FWIW, I had the bike properly sized in-store, and the person I dealt with even flipped the handlebar stem(?) so I had a more upright position I'd be used to. I don't feel like I'm over-reaching or anything, just feel like my thumb section is taking a bit of a pounding.

(2) The other thing is brakes. Being on the hoods,I don't feel like I'm able to get enough purchase on the brakes. I can grab them from the top but it doesn't feel like I get a responsive satisfying braking pull. Is this normal? It just feels like being on the drops I'd get more purchase but it's unnatural to ride on the drops in a normal commuting situation. Could someone give me a 101 on braking too. Should I brake with both, or just the back? Etc.

(3) I took a pretty bad tumble on one of my first trips out! I've been taking on my normal commute which involves a canal towpath (changed now to a more road based one). Most of the towpath is fine for roadies, however there is a section with uneven paving. My superslim wheels caught the large gap between two paving stones and threw me off. Most damage to hands - going to buy gloves for protection (recommendations welcome). Bike seems ok, but what should I be a checking for? Cheapo pedals took most of brunt from an immediately visible damage perspective.

(4) That's the other thing - pedals. They didn't have any strapped pedals in Evans when I got the bike and I didn't feel ready to go to clipless yet. So I just have some bog standards. I quite like them at the moment as I get used to the bike, but will upgrade in time. The main advantage I see is the stop-start nature of London commuting, and getting away quickly at lights instead of faffing around getting my feet in. What would your pedal advice be? Upgrade ASAP (don't delay the inevitable) or leave it a while until I'm comfortable?

(5) Is it normal for roadie newbies to feel quite unsteady on the bike for a while? I think I just feel ever so delicate on the thing. The slim tyres, the light frame, when I go round corners I'm so worried I'll just fall off. I suppose I just lack a bit of a balance at the moment. Tend to motion from side to side as I motor along. Makes giving arm signals difficult as I'm worried I'll lose balance! I can't even imagine going sans hands, whilst I grab a drink and check my phone like the pros! Is this normal at the start until you get used to the fact you're no longer on a thick wheeled MTB?

(6) Also, how much punishment can these things take. I take mine on some pretty sketchy bits of road. Nothing off-road, not even big potholes, just your typical uneven serially road-worked street in London. The bike rattles over the bumps and I hear the odd clang. I'm worried I might be damaging it in some way, and some day, something is just going to fall off. Am I being too paranoid and actually these bikes are pretty robust for your average bump in the road or should I take it more easy unless the road is perfectly flat?

(7) I haven't set the bike up for commuting yet. Probably won't go for pannier and rack as happy with my backpack for now. Will certainly contemplate mudguards soon though. Any recommendations that would work with this bike? Also any tips on bike maintenance would be good. How often should I be cleaning it, oiling the chain, pumping the tyres etc?

I probably have loads of other questions I've forgotten but those are the main ones for now. Replies to all or any of the above much appreciated!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 18052

From my newbie prospective.

1) Have you had a bike fit? seems like you might be setup wrong.
2) I'm the same, on the hoods I can brake, but not as good as from the drops, downhills or fast roads i TRY and ride on the drops where I can get a good grip of the brake.
3) ouch!
4) Go clipless, i've not had any major problems and I went clipless from the off, only time I went arse over tit, was when a mate was pushing up a hill and I was going slooow (less than 3mph) stopped, and pedalled to get going, landed on arse!
5) i've just clocked 700 miles, and i'm still unsteady, but balance is coming, can even do none handed now to get a jelly baby out of bag :laugh::laugh::becool:
6) I've been in some pretty rough roads, out on the country - they're not as delicate as you may think.

Have fun ;)

Daz

Reactions: DDE

zizou

Veteran
1 - Will probably improve over time as your hands get used to the new position, also cycling gloves/mitts will help

2 - Use the front brake (or both) it has much more stopping power than just using the rear. Bigger chance of locking up the rear brake too. Inexperienced cyclists probably worry a bit about going over the bars if just using the front brake so perhaps it would be wise to go to the park or something and practice, the weight distribution and how you brace yourself when braking is much more complicated to describe than it is to do. I can get more braking power on the drops (its also a better position in terms of weight distribution if for example you are descending and may need to brake) but on the hoods i can still lock up the wheels if needed.

3 - Your bike will be fine, for gloves i like Specialized BG Gel ones although some people think the padding on these is too much.

4 - Do whatever feels comfortable. At some point you'll want to try clipless - alot of people start off with Shimano SPD. You can get models that have a clipless pedal on one side and a flat pedal on the other, these are ideal for starting off with.

5 - Its normal. What feels twitchy and nervy just now will gradually start to feel responsive and agile the more you get used to it.

6 - They are tougher than they look. Check out the 'Road Bike Party' videos on youtube or footage of the Paris Roubaix race.

I'd recommend getting a track pump as it makes keeping tyres inflated alot easier they will also have a pressure guage on it so you can keep the tyres at the recommended pressure. What is the recommended pressure depends on the tyre size, how heavy you are and preference...i generally go for between 100 psi. Cleaning it - clean it when its dirty, its not really an issue just now but once the winter starts and there is salt on the road cleaning it regularly will help keep things running alot smoother and also mean drive chain parts like the chain, cassette (etc) will last longer.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
1 - You'll get used to it. However I'd recommend a decent pair of padded mitts/gloves as this will help relieve the pressure (and help if you come off again),

2 - This is often a problem when riding on the hoods, especially if you have smaller hands (SRAM levers are better if you have small hands). Shimano used to offer a rubber gromit that would move the brake lever inwards towards the bar, this gave more feeling/better braking from the hoods - not sure if its available for your levers.

3 - Yep - look at some gloves. There's a shed load around, find a pair you like/can afford. With Autumn approching you may get more use out of full finger gloves. Personally I like the Planet X selection http://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/clothing/clothes/gloves The race 365 are a good Autumn/Spring glove (but the padding is minimal, so given no 1 you may want to look at a gel/thicker padded pair).

4 - Nothing wrong with flat pedals.... although personally I use clipless. If your in heavy stop/start traffic the SPD system will last better and be more convenient that the SPD-SL. The Shimano A530 pedal would probably be my choice. Shoes are up to you... If you plan n riding through the winter consider a pair of insulated winter boots - the Sidi Diablo are superb (but very pricey), and the Northwave Farenhiet also seem well liked. You can get by with summer shoes/overshoes but TBH they're not as good.

5 - Yep, perfectly normal, balance will come as you improve your core strength.

6 - Don't worry about it. They're designed for roads. Unless you're very heavy and trying bunny hops/ big drops it will be OK.

7 - Dont know the clearances on the Cannondale, but I'm guessing you wont have clearance for full guards. If you do then a pair of SKS chromoplastic guards are the answer. If clearance under the brake bridge is too tight then you're restricted to Crud Road Racer or SKS raceblades. The Cruds are pretty good once on, but can be a bugger to get set up initially. They do keep you dry and keep a degree of road crap off the bike too.
Clean the bike when it's dirty. Avoid using pressure washer (especially round the bottom braket and wheel hubs). Warm water and a sponge will be more than enough. In winter try and wipe the chain/drivetrain and brakes down after every ride to get rid of road salt. It doesnt take long, but will increase the component life. Once a week clean everything thoroughly and re-lube the chain/check tyre pressure.

You may also want to look into getting some lights. Even if you dont normally travel at night, as winter comes the chances of being caught out in dark conditions increases, and a decent set of "being seen" lights are light and cheap.

Oh, and remember winter crud/commuting increases the chance of punctures - make sure you carry a pump, spare tube or patch kit and know how to use them.

Wafer

Veteran
Also from a recent convert from flat barred bike to a roadie.

1) I think I've probably always had too much weight on the handlebars. Some advice I've seen is that your hands should be used for steering and braking, not for supporting your weight. Not quite sure how I manage that though, pretty sure my lower back isn't strong enough to take the strain for long! Gloves are meant to help, but I picked up a cheap pair with a lot of padding from an LBS and I almost think it got worse. Thinking of getting a pair that fit a bit better and have less padding.

2) I have little confidence braking from the hoods too, I also ride a Synapse though with 105, not sure how different the levers are. Other bike is a flat barred Specialized Sirrus so never had the issue before. I generally go on the drops when approaching junctions or think I may need to stop quickly. Not sure what I'd do if I had to commute in a lot of traffic!

3) The bike is probably ok, I had a couple tumbles on my Sirrus and the worst I did was snap one of the plastic pedals once.

4) I haven't gone clipless yet either though I have just fit some http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-m324-combination-pedals/ to give me the option

5) I felt unsteady to begin with, I think it takes a little getting used to compared to flat bars. If you're moving from side to side a lot while pedalling your seat might be a touch too high? or maybe you're just a Voekler style rider ;)

6) Should be fine, sounds like some people get problems with wheels, which tend to be a cheaper component on bikes in this kind of range it seems. I don't think cyclocross bikes are that different in terms of frame strength to similar road bikes (so the Caadx for example) and they're intended to take more of a beating.

7) SKS Chromoplastics should fit. I'm half way through fitting some to my Synapse, though it has disc brakes and I'm sure I've seen/heard of others round here with them fit to Synapse's.
Can't give much advice on the maintenance bit, but the idea of using something like baby wipes to clean it off is great. I picked up some http://www.wilko.com/multi-purpose-...es-cleansing-anti-bacterial-x-72/invt/0281355 cheap in a nearby Wilko's and they work pretty well and easy to do it little and often rather than getting something like Muc Off, a bucket of warm water and a sponge.

Stephen C

Über Member
Just to add to your first point, try changing your hand position a little bit so that you are resting on the heel of your hand (gloves/mitts have extra padding here as well) and not the bit between thumb and first finger. As you become more used to your bike you will also relax a bit more and you will be gripping less tightly which will also help.

Good luck!

theloafer

Legendary Member
(4) That's the other thing - pedals. They didn't have any strapped pedals in Evans when I got the bike and I didn't feel ready to go to clipless yet. So I just have some bog standards. I quite like them at the moment as I get used to the bike, but will upgrade in time. The main advantage I see is the stop-start nature of London commuting, and getting away quickly at lights instead of faffing around getting my feet in. What would your pedal advice be? Upgrade ASAP (don't delay the inevitable) or leave it a while until I'm comfortable?

hi DDE
you could always try these http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/zefal-mini-clips got some for my g/f who don't like been fixed to her bike ... she loves them

OP
OP
DDE

DDE

Some great advice here and I've been suitably reassured about some of the things I was worrying too much about.

Have also added a few of the products to my wishlist.

I feel like I'm getting more and more confident everyday. I absolutely love it too, even if I'm still a bit twitchy. Just kicking myself I didn't start sooner!

Binz

Regular
braking from the hoods I sort of use a bit of wrist to rotate hands down at angle as well as squeezing lever - dunno if that explains it well, but try it

I'd recommend Body Geometry gloves. I'd also recommend whatever gloves you buy, try them on in a shop as everyone's hands are slightly different shaped

Crud roadracer guards fitted my Synapse 105 disc OK.

check tyre pressure more regularly than your other bike as small tyres lose pressure quicker.

Torvi

mr poopmechanic
i see a lot of hassle about balance thing and i just cant understand how is balancing on road bike hard. Before i got my roadie i had about 3-4 years break from any cycling and i can actually say that maintaining hands free ride on road bike is the easiest thing Ive ever experienced. Ive cycled mtbs, hybrids and very old bikes before and those (old ones) are pain to balance try to ride em then go on road bike, you will see what i mean :smile:

Sorry to hear you crashed on your first trips :sad: hope you okay by now, i can recommend you muddyfox gloves, they are very nice, good looking and having good grip. Cheap also!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351117680...49&var=620327472452&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Tyres thing is each of their own, many people will start arguing over spending 20-50quids on each tyre and the truth is somewhere between. I have swapped my stock tyres after i found slices on them (after a month lols) but i bet it was due to my reckless riding, i now have vittoria rubinos that costed me 15 quids for pair in halfords and i have to say they are really good and responsive, they roll nicely and side coating actually works, i can feel the difference in turns (when you angle your bike hard) it gets more grip and that is why this coating is there for. They are also provided in nice colour range so you can fit it under your bike :smile:

About wheels, again to each of their own, before you plan on getting those lightweight wheels you must know that that they may be unsuitable for you, depending on your weight, also i see those lightweights rather fragile, id say stay with your stock ones untill their trueness gone and then get a shimano R501 Wheelset they got nice reviews and are fairly "normal priced" :smile:

Top Bottom