My first solo, unsupported, camping tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Tuesday 15th July 2014, Ebury Hill (79km)

It rained overnight and was still raining this morning when I woke. Nice start to my first solo tour! At least I was at home in my own bed! It was cool enough this morning to need my leg warmers (that leg injury of mine (dog bite) still needs protecting from the cold/cool and I have no feeling in it so can't tell when it is cold!).

Somehow I was up and on my way by 7:50am. 10 minutes ahead of schedule. I suspect this had a lot to do with my OH being at home and wanting to make sure I actually left! Dusty (our landlady's Irish Wolf Hound (whom we dog sit for) also came out to say hello!)

IMG_0706.JPG

A wobbly start and a right turn and I'm on the Whitegate Way which runs from the bottom of our lane and bypasses the local rat runs of roads during rush hour. At least I know that the bridge repairs are completed enough for me not to have to carry the bike up the steps they had in place for the last 5/6 months!

Nothing much happened until my first stop at the Marina just north of Nantwich, where a coffee, toast and a rest stop were called for. From there, however, it was new roads and new territory...

IMG_0709.JPG

A road side stop and a bite to eat were soon followed by lunch (leg warmers finally removed) and a somewhat interesting problem. Today's route was meant to be 80km (50 miles) a nice easy start to the tour. Somehow I have managed to cover 57km (35 miles) before midday! Yikes. What is going on?

IMG_0710.JPG

IMG_0712.JPG

After lunch the first of the climbs for today and it was a stiff one. 1st & 2nd gear all the way & finally a view...

IMG_0713.JPG

Then there followed at 'interesting' decent - single track lane, bad road surface, sharp right hand bend and to add to it all it is a heavily wooden cutting. Luckily I had taken the decision to put the front light on (dynamo) and it made all the difference when that car arrived on the scene!

From there some views and finally into Shawbury for a drinks stop and the first of the how to shop when you are on your own on a laden touring bike. Abandon it seems to work surprisingly well!

IMG_0717.JPG

IMG_0719.JPG

From there is was single track country lanes for the last few miles and a pondering of whether to continue or just accept that today was easier than expected... I came across a house selling off their black currants and also some pink currants and opted for the pink currants at a generous punnet for £1, then it was off towards the planned campsite.

After spending some time at the side of the road photo-ing the light and landscape, I finally arrived at the campsite at an unearthly hour of 2:30pm! I did consider continuing on, but the next real option is some 30km (20 miles) away and I don't want to over do it on my first day and I was starting to tire in the heat that had arrived this afternoon.

IMG_0726.JPG

IMG_0727.JPG

IMG_0728.JPG

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Continued....

IMG_0730.JPG

IMG_0733.JPG

I am on a lovely little site (£5.55) which has very basic facilities (due to some English Heritage restrictions) but it has taken a while for them to get into the backpackers toilet... the lock on the door is not working (combination thing, combination is fine, it just won't open when the latch is done) so they have had to remove the hinges off the door to get in, confirmed it was all working, replaced it all, and tried again, only for it to fail to open again... After 2 hours (he isn't the most mechanically/DIY minded guy I have met, but very friendly) I suggested that they simply took the lock off the door. I am the only one here and there is a bolt inside to shut it with when in use!

IMG_0734.JPG

IMG_0735.JPG

This evening the light has been amazing.

IMG_0736.JPG

IMG_0745.JPG

IMG_0750.JPG

IMG_0756.JPG

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Looks fabulous, the colours in the photos are amazing. I can't wait to hear more.
I will write up some more tomorrow. I have my journal to type up, the photos are all taken in RAW format, so need converting to JPEG and I only got home at 2:30pm ish.... then I have some washing to do and a tent to dry out (condensation, not rain) not to mention catching up on some sleep! :laugh:

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Welcome home! And ditto all of the above. (Have you uploaded your mileage yet? :whistle:)
thanks and what do you think? :laugh: got another tour planned at the end of next month as well... 15 days next time

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
If you don't mind me asking, what is the tent that you're using?

Just planning ahead ...
It's the Vaude Power Lizard SUL 2-3P. Was purchased for both of us to use, but is also ideal for a single person (plus all kit except your bike in it!) and weighs in at a little over 1.5kg. Pegs are crap though, so we have replaced them with some spares we have from our Hilleberg. So far I like it, but have to tried it in high winds. Ventilation can be an issue as I have found out, but I have been sleeping with the door partially unzipped on the 2 way zip, and with the inner open as well. Very few insect issues where I have been (except at Brecon). I think I would have prefered a dedicated 1-2 person one, probably of the Hilleberg range, but at the time we were looking for both of us to use this, only my OH prefers to carry out Hilleberg Nammatj if we are camping for any length of time (or bad weather is possible like September last year and Scotland!)

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Day 2 - Wednesday 16th July 2014
Morton on Lugg - 90.41km (56 miles)

Despite it being a lovely, quiet campsite and a really nice night, I didn't get much sleep. I don't know what it was, or why, but when the alarm went off at 6am this morning, the last thing I felt like doing was getting up and cycling.

The weather had clouded over during the night and it was warm and humid, but it was a short sleeved top and 3/4 length cycling shorts from the word go. No need for the leg warmers today (unlike yesterday).

After a slight downhill start, it was the start of a lot of climbing today which was slow, hard work and exhausting from the word go. I had a slight "have I go the correct way" moment which the Garmin Edge course I had put in helped with considerably, one of the few times I have found it more useful than a road map... A quick stop at a nature reserve (Venus Pool I think) allowed for a brief breather and pit stop.

IMG_0762.JPG

IMG_0763.JPG

After several low slow climbs, someone who looked like @gavgav passed me (around a little place caleld Evenwood). From there, there was yet more climbing and some amount of cursing at my avoid main roads approach to this tour before I finally found the top of the hill. Whilst stopped at the top of the hill for a breather and a snack, another cyclist checked that I was OK which was nice of him.

IMG_0765.JPG

IMG_0766.JPG

Then it was time for some downhill and it was much appreciated, I can tell you. Some farmers spotted me coming down one of the hills and there was much joking and waving me on with a yell of "you're late for the race" as I flew past them... reference to the TdF.

At the bottom of the hill I stopped for another breather and for the first time, it looked like it might just rain... What should have been a quiet B road was a very busy B road because of a major diversion that was in place, and it was not a great road to be cycling. Worse still, my bale out option was also the diversion! Ahhhh. Time for a break at a petrol station where I can pick up some supplies and have a coffee, not to mention restock on water - I had already consumed all 3 bottles I had with me!

IMG_0769.JPG

Reluctantly leaving the petrol station, I finally found somewhere I could get off the road and have a lunch break alongside a church. Unfortuantly I was found by the local busy body/local elderly man who would not leave me in peace either to eat my lunch or stop trying to direct me to a campsite less than 4km away. Lunch was cut short as a result.

Not much really happened after that, I found an oak tree I liked, with a view and took another photo.... Then I met 4 ladies who were touring whilst I was going up what was for me a nasty uphill incline.

IMG_0771.JPG

IMG_0772.JPG

Then I met the mother of all hills. I took one look at it and knew I was never going to make it up it. I know some would say this is a very negative attitude, pot always half empty etc... I see it as realistic and you weren't there! I had even looked at the map for alternatives - there was nothing that did not land me cycling 5-6 miles on the A49 in the rush hour. The strava segment is called "God Almighty!" I think that sums it up completely. If I was not on a laden touring bike.... dream on girl, it was the only thing that kept me going. It took me 3 stops just to push the bike up the steepest part of the hill. But what goes up, must come down... Look on the bright side. But sadly no photos, it was a tree lined cutting and there was nothing to see for all of that effort.

Soon afterwards, I came across a shop - it was raided 3 * fanta... Then on to the campsite for the last pitch they had - cash in hand so no registration (£10). Oh well I'm not going to worry. Then off for a nice coool shower (new toilet block!). Soon after my evening meal, it started to rain so I had an early night - hopefully I will get some sleep despite the proximity to the A49 (like on it!)

One final picture for the day. This notice was on the ladies toilet door. There was not one on the mens' door. So I was left wondering exactly how many cats find their way into the ladies toilet and why only the ladies toilet?

IMG_0773.JPG

http://www.strava.com/activities/169790291/overview

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Day 03 - Thursday 18th July 2014
Pont Kemys (south of Abergavenny)
68.01km

I woke to bright sunshine and a soaking wet tent, inside and out. Humidity was somewhere around the 999% mark approaching 1000% and climbing. As usual no-one else was up or about and it was a case of being as quiet as possible. It was also the first wet take down of the new tent.
And I also established that whilst porridge oats soaked in almond milk overnight are wonderful as they are, they do not work with hot chocolate powder in there as well - shame really. I am missing my hot chocolate in the mornnig, but don't have enough spare almond milk in suitable sized containers to be able to allow myself that treat!

I applied the battle paint (aka factor 50 sun cream), forced myself to consume a litre of water prior to leaving the campsite (a very good move as it proved almost immediately) and was climbing from the word go. A female car driver who stopped for me on the climb so as to prevent me from having to stopped, called out that I was braver than her. I wasn't feeling very brave at that moment in time - mad perhaps, but not brave. I smiled as I cycled passed her and once she was out of sight, stopped to admire the view!

IMG_0775.JPG

IMG_0777.JPG

I quickly arrived in Hereford, located Sainsbury's and did the wheel the bike up to the security guard who was on the point of saying don't even consider bringing that in here, when I asked him if he could keep an eye on it for me. He hesitated, realised that a) I was alone and b) the bike had luggage on it and c) there wasn't really anyway I could carry it around the shop with me (though someone has since kindly pointed out that I could have used a trolley (whilstle) and he was happy with the solution. The bike was locked up infront of his security camera and I did my shopping. More battle paint needed, more rehydration tablets needed, some tomatoes for tonight's evening meal and some fruit for immediate consumption, not to mention some more Fanta...(whistle).

Then it was pretty much a case of following the National Cycle Route out of Hereford which bypassed all of Hereford (really useful for me given my inability to navigate cities etc) and I was out of there and back where I am at home - the countryside. Today's route was mostly following national cycle routes and I had not double checked all of them... Should have done, and should have learnt that lesson a long time ago.

I did have a couple of surprises along the way, one was cycling throught the Duchy of Cornwall's estate - some really great views and light there (hoping that the photos do it justice, I am not on my usual laptop at the moment and don't know how they have come out - the colour balance is off on this screen, hopefully our new laptop will arrive tomorrow and when I have colour balanced that screen with my Spyder, I can double check the pictures). Some of this estate is not on tarmac'ed roads and I was glad to be on my Thorn Nomad rather than a road bike. I was also very glad it has been dry recently because I could see it would not take much to turn the track in to a quaymire.

IMG_0780.JPG

IMG_0781.JPG

IMG_0785.JPG

IMG_0786.JPG

IMG_0787.JPG

(I love how you can radically change the same scene simply by zooming in and out!)

Somewhere around here, I also had some fun with 2 mountain bikers and a roadie who was accompanying them. I could hear voices behind me, but they were not really catching me at all on the flatter section we were on at the time. After 5 -10 mins there was a hill where I slowed down considerably and they did finally pass me, but only just before the summit. Going down that hill I scared the living daylights out of them as I caught up with them and they realised I was on the point of passing them as I tried to carry my speed into the next slight climb... thankfully they turned off right at the top of the next hill...

IMG_0790.JPG

IMG_0791.JPG

IMG_0792.JPG

Further on and there were some great descents, though I was a touch worried by the 'road closed' sign I passed, knowing all too well that I could not cycle back up the way I had come down. Luckily it was an old sign and the road was clear enough at least for cyclists to get through - the side of the single track lane had been taken out by a fallen tree and the tarmac was missing. You could have squeezed a small car through there at the risk of the road collapsing, but it wasn't an issue for a cyclist thankfully!

To be continued....

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Continued

IMG_0796.JPG

I finally made it into Wales for midday.

IMG_0797.JPG

and the first Welsh hill prmptly defeated me. It was simply too hot to be putting that much effort into a +10% gradient; sanity prevailed and I got off and pushed the bike up the worst of the hill (100metres). When I finally arrived around the corner at what should have been the top of the hill, my route turned off right and carried on climbing! Seeing a man outside his house and my being empty of water, I stopped and asked if he would oblige with a refil - thankfullly it was not a problem and he happily obliged. At the top of the climb (a place called Grosmont - yes I know I should have guessed from the place name) I found a suitable stopping point in the shade, well off the road and with a gate to allow a decent breeze. A casual slow lunch was calling my name loudy...

IMG_0800.JPG

IMG_0803.JPG

For a while, after lunch I followed the ridge, and there were some great views to take in, which I did at length!

IMG_0812.JPG

IMG_0813.JPG

Continuing along the ridge, I was clearly enjoying a downhill section too much when I glanced down at my Garmin Edge and realised that in about 10meters time I had to turn left. The brakes still work expectionally well. Someone obviously thought I was enjoying myself way too much because around that corner was an uphill climb... At times I was left wondering if this road actually existed. I have seen dirt tracks in better condition and the only thing that stopped me photo-ing it in disbelief was the worry of my loosing my momentum and never managing to get going again.

Before long I had finally dropped into Abergavenny and after deciding that I didn't need the free coffee for Waitrose card holders (it was too hot for coffee) I carried on to find a cool spot by the side of the Monomouthshire Canal... if I can get there that is. Life got a touch confusing here because in order to get to the canal you have to follow the NCR which is a disused converted railway line and it starts here and they only signpost it in one direction - not the way I was going! Luckily I had researched this junction because I was navigating by a road map and neither route was marked on the map! So I was vaguely aware that this might be the case and I might have to follow the railway in the wrong direction for nearly a mile before it rose to the level of the canal so that I could then get onto the canal... At least it was in shade, if not cool...

There is a stiff final climb where the 2 routes connect, zigzagging up to the canal and whilst the gradient is fine to cycle, the hairpin bends are too sharp and narrow to negioate with panniers. I had to get off and push, literally doing a 5 point turn to get the bike around each of the 3 hairpins... Finally a bench and some shade and a well earned break.

IMG_0816.JPG

A 4th layer of battle paint was also applied and now completely off-road and way too hot, it was time to loose the helmet - after all what use is it if I end up in the canal? The ride along the canal was great despite the hardcore surface sometimes being less than 6 inches wide - but mostly it was really good and I was able to hold an average of 10mph on a laden touring bike off-road without really trying.

IMG_0818.JPG

One thing I did notice was how quickly the landscape changed from mountains, valleys and views (occasionally) back to a flatter 'boring' landscape. It was quite staggering really. Then after around 45 mins, I think, it was my turn off and time to head to the campsite, Pont Kemys. The campsite has an area set aside for campers (not mandatory I will add), however I had requested a quiet and cool area and that was what I got. I had the whole 'woodland' camping patch to myself. It reminds me so very much of the similar area at Wemdalen in Germany when we were on our big tour. We had the entire area to ourselves then as well! It is just me, 2 benches and plenty of shade. What more could I ask for? A shower - yep plenty of those and they were really good!

IMG_0819.JPG

IMG_0820.JPG

http://www.strava.com/activities/169790288

Top Bottom