My first sportive (flab Ilkley)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mark trek29er

Regular
hi
I am doing my first sportive or Sunday it's run by fat lad at the back in Ilkley I am only doing 25 miles but does anyone have any tips?
I have watched a couple of videos on the British cycling website about etiquette etc so hopefully I won't cause crashes!
Any other advice?

hi
I am doing my first sportive or Sunday it's run by fat lad at the back in Ilkley I am only doing 25 miles but does anyone have any tips?
I have watched a couple of videos on the British cycling website about etiquette etc so hopefully I won't cause crashes!
Any other advice?
Relax and enjoy it. Stop if you feel you need to, take as long as you feel comfortable with. The B.C. video on etiquette, is quite good, but most of it is just common sense.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
a sportive is basically a bike ride - you have nothing to fear. Ride at a pace you are happy with, and if you are not happy riding close to others, then don't. To be honest most sportive riders are not safe to ride next to!

Very true.
To be fair, that should be 'some' or 'many', but the trouble is you might not find out whether you are alongside a sensible rider or a stupid one until they bump into you!

I think you should be able to cope with 25 miles, but make sure you take a decent-sized bottle and a snack with you. Take it easy for the first 5 or 10 miles and see how you get on. If you are feeling good then you can speed up later in the event. If you set off too fast and tire yourself out then you might regret it.

Lee gg

As the penguins said in that classic film Madagascar, smile and wave boys smile and wave.
Keep to your line and let her others pull around it.
Good luck.

OP
OP
Mark trek29er

Mark trek29er

Regular
Thanks for the replies guys

My tip from what I observed on Sunday while volunteering at the North Berwick Triathlon, is keep calm and don't get flustered at the transitions.

Several of the competitors were in such a mad panic they jumped onto their bike in the transition area.

No time penalty just the embarrassment of having, "git off yir bike" roared at them from several angles.

Oh I, mind yir witerproof sun block.

Top Bottom