My friend Kate Spicer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blackandblue

I think she is a flawed individual.

Did you see that documentary where she put herself through celebrity diets?

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Just saw Masterchef (has my life become this dull :girl:) and she was one of the Professional food critics on it. Writes for the Times apparently... seemed like the typical toffee-nosed cow one would associate with being a food critic from the Times.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
She's not without her merits (anyone taking on the Etape Caledonia has to be given some encouragement) but her column this week made me laugh- talking going clipless. An extract:
"The problems with upgrading from normal pedals to something jazzier are manifold and blindingly technical. I floundered, initially, when I bought a Shimano mountain-bike shoe and pedal (generally known as SPD — Shimano Pedalling Dynamic).

The only way I could slot shoe into pedal was by getting off the bike and hammering it with my fist — obviously useless. I didn’t understand that the thing could be loosened.

Then someone forced me into a road-bike shoe and a cleat and pedal made by a company called Look, and that was much easier to use. What I really fancied was a Crank Brothers Egg Beater pedal, which apparently is very simple and (more important) comes in a fantastic array of blinged-up colours, but unfortunately I ran out of money."

I started using SPDs at the turn of the year. I didn't have a problem getting them on the bike. Didn't have a problem turning the tension down (there's a manual in the box Kate...). Didn't get the cleat position quite right on the shoes, but my LBS sorted me out there. I certainly didn't think 'I'm having problems. Rather than consulting an LBS I'll buy a whole new set of shoes and a different pedal system. Twice'.
Another thing: clipless moments. 'Every pro I've spoken to still has spud falls on occasion'. I am a klutz (tried PowerGrips a few months before and couldn't get my feet out easily). I've nearly come a cropper a few times, but haven't managed it yet (famous last words, I know...). It ain't rocket science....

Top Bottom