"My mum crashes every 2 weeks but I won't be a grass"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Tom Uttley:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...dire-terrified-share-car-shop-DVLA-Never.html

Mum’s driving was so dire I was terrified to share a car with her. But shop her to the DVLA? Never!

She couldn’t kick it even when, in her late 70s, lameness in her left leg meant she had to buy an automatic. Whenever the car drew to a halt, she would instinctively press the accelerator and the (non-existent) clutch pedal. Her accident rate, always high, increased accordingly, with a shunt every couple of weeks.

It came to the point where my sister Catherine refused any offer of a lift from our mother, taking public transport even when they were heading for the same destination, while banning her own daughter from getting into any car which had her grandmother at the wheel.

Interesting display of attitudes.

outlash

also available in orange
What's your point?

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
[QUOTE 4028745, member: 9609"]yes - I doubt that has been the only case ever, there will be a few thousand like that taking to the road today.[/QUOTE]
Agreed, we as a family pestered and cajoled my FiL into quitting driving at just under 70 as he was starting to get dangerous (off out wallpaper buying as his taxi this morning, that is the quid pro quo I doubt many families want to accept responsibility for) but in this specific case it is too late for her and thr family - this thread needs a wider context and rationale other than Her family are frankly a**eholes

I'd suggest selfishness of 'well I'm not driving her about' far more than love of their dear old mum is the key reason for silence.

How do we get past that and make the roads safer for us all in a society that for driving at least is selfish, sees a car as a right & under all hues of government that won't hurt the driving majority with unpopular measures like compulsory retests or assessments of competence?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'd assumed this was about Petronella Wyatt's mum, who gets hit by cyclists at least three times a day. If her daughter is to be believed, anyway.
But it's actually 'self righteous moron is self righteous '.

outlash

also available in orange
[QUOTE 4028728, member: 9609"]as a road user its rather relevant[/QUOTE]

FTFY.

The only thing that's 'interesting' is that the author is stupid enough to admit it on an unfathomably popular website. Otherwise as you say, they'll be a few thousand just like her on the road today. It's hardly 'news'.

It is the "right" to drive being being absolute

The attitude is pervasive and telling. This week there has been some interest in teh GMC and the GP's "Duty" to report medically unfit drivers.

That is what it is a REPORT to the DVLC in the same way as you would report a faultyy medical device to the MHRA or and infectious disease to the Public Health authority

Yet without exception the act is referred to by the press and motoring organisation as "informing" as if it were telling tales and betraying a confidence..... somehow unacceptable and distasteful. The Telegraph is typical

GPs told to inform on patients 'who should not be behind the wheel'

outlash

also available in orange
[QUOTE 4028829, member: 9609"]but it should be news, sadly as a society we pretend traffic laws don't matter. Since the horrible massacre in Paris two weeks back, there will have been something in the region of 1250 deaths and 11,000 serious injuries on european roads - that's a lot of people. yes that is a very small percentage of all journeys made, but when you consider in the vast majority of all journeys traffic laws are simply ignored, and on top of that there is little attempt at enforcement, then the situation is just astonishing.[/QUOTE]

The difference between what should happen and what actually happens. Again, this is news?

Top Bottom