My worse incident yet (long post)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Me, mrs d and a friend were returning from the clubrun Sunday, we were doing about 20 mph down a two lane road coming into town. I was in the middle slightly further out than my mate on the front with mrs d behind, when we were about 200 yards from a set of lights (Leigh road Eastleigh by the pub & hotel for any locals) a car went by very close sounding it's horn and then swerved hard and fast right across the front of us. He had to stop at lights 10 seconds later so of course I was at his passenger window and my mate was at the drivers giving him some verbal. He said we shouldn't be riding two abreast! I said A. Read your high way code B. Did he think it was ok to try and kill us because he thought we took up to much room on the road and C. He was lucky he was about 70 or I have dragged him out of his window and he'd be lying in the road bleeding by now!

We then filtered along the traffic to the front, when we moved off (the road goes to single lane) I stayed out to make him go right around us thinking he'd be a bit sheepish, but he pulled along next to me and started to move over towards me, he had plenty of room to pass and was obviously doing it on purpose. So at this point I unclipped my right foot and gave the door of his new shiny toyota and hefty kick which made a nice dent and scratch. He then swerved infront of me stopped, got out and started ranting that he was going straight to the police station just up the road, we said fine, we'll come too.

Anyway, we both gave our stories to the desk sargant who then called me back in. He said his intention was to just record it as a reported incident with no action unless I wanted to take it further, I said I'd leave it as I couldn't see it getting anywhere with no actual injuries and I should think he was looking at £500+ to re-skin the door (The sargent said he was a motorcyclist and shook my hand and winked at me when I went as if to say nice one mate)

I was amazed that a very respecable looking seventy'ish year old bloke out with his wife would so deliberatly risk seriously injuring us, also that some people would have given him a good kicking despite his age. I expect he went home and penned a 'lycra louts/ police take no action' letter to the mail.

domtyler

Über Member
Heh heh, good story Dave! :wacko:

Just a shame that people like this are on the roads over here though! :tongue:

Mr Pig

I like the dent in the door very much :0) You can console yourself with the thought that, being and old codger, he'll be dead soon. Or off the roads at any rate.

Blue

Legendary Member
Don't assume that age bestows wisdom.

A couple of months back I was out cycling with Mrs Blue, who was a few yards ahead of me. I saw a car o/take then turn immediately L across my wife. seeing what was unfolding I was able to yell a warning which enabled my wife to brake hard and avert a collision. I took off after the car and waved it down to ask the driver what they thought they were doing. The driver was a little old lady in her 70s, who was dressed in her Sunday best frock and looked like butter wouldn't melt in her mouth. When I pointed out that had it not been for me my wife would have ended up over the front of her car and possibly under the wheels her reply was "well there you go now". I was staggered by the attitude. My wife hasn't got on a bike since and is now annoyingly hyper about my safety when I go out.

It is a pity that cyclists don't seem to count for much in the eyes of so many drivers in the UK. :smile:

ChrisKH

Guru
Andy in Sig said:
I suppose that people who are ignorant thugs when they are young gradually turn into ignorant OAPs.

Half the OAPS I know (70 +) are belligerent cynics who think the world owes them something. Admittedly one of them is my mother-in-law so my reasoning may be is skewed.

OP
OP
Dave Davenport
Mr Pig said:
I like the dent in the door very much :0) You can console yourself with the thought that, being and old codger, he'll be dead soon. Or off the roads at any rate.

Actually, he was so wound up I thought he was going to have a heart attack. He was just about to pull out of a carpark opposite the police station as I left so I gave him a big grin & waved 'cos I thought it might tip him over the edge!

Usually with me whenever I've felt a car needs a good kicking (in self defence of course) I've always been clipped in so I haven't been able to do so and a shy away too much from conflict or the car zooms off into the distance. On Sunday I got a bad left hook from a 4x4 turning in to his driveway, the initial hook wouldn't have bee so bad as he'd angled his ates and driveway to let him do it quickly, he forgot he was towing a large trailer. I was going to remonstrate but decided the weather was too nice and I shyed away again :smile: so I carried on for another 96 miles.

Top Bottom