N+1 again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rovers1875

Veteran
Well my new baby arrived a day earlier than expected. There I was sat in the office thinking about how to avoid any further work for the afternoon. Then I get a phone call from On Yer Bike in Burnley, to say they had set up my bike and whenever I was ready I could go round and get fitted to the beast. So quick check and I decided the office had run out of coffee and milk, so I would selflessly volunteer to nip to the shop for some (no one actually noticed that it took me an hour and I forgot to get any. So new bike was stashed in the back of the van already for me to take her home.
After years of evading the subject of clipless pedals, I finally took the plunge and went for them. So as advised I sat in the kitchen leaning against the worktop practicing clipping in and out, much to the amusement of swimbo.
After ten minutes boredom set in and it was decided best way to learn is et out on the road and have a go.
Well after a wobbly start / shuffle I was clipped in and away. many stops and starts later I'd sussed this clipless lark. Then as i approached the final wide open junction before home, I slowed up ready to accelerate away, when a motorbike came flying down the road. Ok I'll just stop and put my foot down, it was about this time I remembered the shops advice about half unclipping when approaching junctions. But luckly my knee and elbow mangaged to protect the bike from any damage (note to self don't get to smug until fully used to new pedals).
I must admit I didn't concentrate on just how my new steed rode due to the new pedal lark, then pain and blood took the shine off my first ride.
Forecast for tomorrow is fine / sunny so hopefully I can get a few hours out and remain crash free,, Will post just how brilliant my new baby rides and how she was worth every penny. If she is anywhere as good as other reviews say I will be well chuffed, But right now you will just have to look at how gorgeous she is (Cube Agree GTC Race 2015)

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    215.9 KB · Views: 89
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    208.4 KB · Views: 86
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 81
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 80
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 80

JMAG

Über Member
Congratulations. I hope you have many happy miles on it.

I've only had clipless shoes for a couple of weeks myself. I've only had one (nearly) clipless moment so far, but it was at my front door and was partly due to fatigue.

xxDarkRiderxx

Veteran
Wow that is a great looking bike... can I have a go.. lol . Glad to hear that you have gone clipless. I started about 5 years ago when a colleague had the same size shoes as me at work and didn't use them. I fell sideways on a zebra crossing while busy staring at the actractive young lady crossing. You can imagine I looked a right shmuck.

I now have it down to an art like you will soon. (clipping out I mean and not falling)

My knee hurts, my elbow hurts (I am of course a wimpy drama queen when its my pain) but if i have to fall off three times. I think I prefer to stay uncool.
It doesn't work like that. If you fall off three times you're cool, if you do it less or more you aren't. This number is arbitary and will change over time and will stay concurrant with the amount of times i have had them.

OP
OP
rovers1875

rovers1875

Veteran
Well 1st ride completed, and no falling off. I did 28 miles in and around the Ribble Valley. I unfortunately my new bike did not turn me into a TdF contender overnight, (as I had expected).
But my first impressions are all good, After the first couple of miles I sort of put the clipless thing to the back of my mind and started to enjoy the ride. The first thing that struck me was just how responsive it felt I could accelerate quicker and easier than on my ST1. The ride was very smooth and vibration free (but then the ST1 is also very similar in that department), The Ultegra gears / brakes etc were delight to use. I didn't have any problems with the SRAM stuff on the ST but the Ultegra are a definate improvement. The low weight made any inclines much less effort (no real hills on this run) It then started to rain and I had to head for home because according to another thread on here "carbon bikes dissolve when wet" so i wasn't going to take any chances. So all in all I was quite impressed with my new toy and I think I may have found my "forever bike" (now where have I heard that before)

Kbrook

Veteran
Nice bike, not a bad shop On Yer Bike and that tall lad with blonde hair knows his stuff and is ever so helpful. Get yourself up Whalley Nab on it and tell us how it climbs!

Big Dave laaa

Biking Ninja
Lovely looking bike that! You will have a couple more 'moments' with your pedals. One will probably be quite soon then you'll have another sometime after you think you've cracked it. It's just the way it is unfortunately. Get a mantra running in your head for when junctions/traffic lights, narrow lanes approach and get ready to unclip at a moments notice. Some people will tell you there's no advantage to clipless but ignore them. There may not be any of the power/pulling on the upstroke advantages but they keep you feet where they're supposed to be.

Chris1983

Great bike ;-)

I have got a 2013 Cube Agree Gtc race and still love it. Recently replaced the hub bearings so it still feels like brand new 2 years and 4000 miles later :-)

And we have all come in stuck with clippers, I did pretty much the same as you. Very conscious of being clipped in for the first couple of short rides and complacency sets in and you hit deck. Happens too us all.

Top Bottom