National Track Cycling Champ's BBC et al abysmal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Did anyone see it? The outlaws said they saw Hoy and Pendleton on tv but they live in Cheshire. I scanned the Radio Times, masses of football as usual but nothing showing our gold medalists in action. FFS our country just doesn't like sporting good news stories does it?
I fail to understand how Sir Chris Hoy was SPOTY less than 12 months ago and now he and the rest of the British tean are already back to being ignored.
The media make me sick :smile:. Need a bike ride :blush: too late :biggrin:

Dave5N

Über Member
Never mind. It's been a great event.

peanut

its not just the media its the public as well, its us cyclists on CC .

Two posts about the World Track Championships on CC three posts on YACF

We won 10 gold medals and the girls got a World record and none of us seem to have any interest or opinion .

Nothing whatsoever in the newspapers , I only found it on Sky by accident when trawling for something to watch.

Whats going wrong with this Country ? is it 'non PC' now to be patriotic or something or maybe we Brits are finally in the minority .
Last Brit turn the lights out :biggrin:

peanut said:

We won 10 gold medals and the girls got a World record and none of us seem to have any interest or opinion .

Nothing whatsoever in the newspapers , I only found it on Sky by accident when trawling for something to watch.

Whats going wrong with this Country ? is it 'non PC' now to be patriotic or something or maybe we Brits are finally in the minority .
Last Brit turn the lights out :smile:

I'm with you on this. More posts on a boxing match than cycling. I think it safe to say the British media as a whole don't ride bikes, but I don't understand the lack of interest from CC members :wacko:. Maybe we should start a thread on who finds cycle racing interesting?
PS Sunday Times is the only paper I have seen which regularly produces articles on cycle results and cycling in their sport section.

Skip Madness

peanut said:

I presume you are talking about the World Cup, not the World Championships, since the latter had a three-page thread. There were more than a couple of posts, though, in the Good Lad thread. I did think about starting a dedicated World Cup thread on the Friday morning, but decided I didn't have the time since I was about to get a six hour car drive up to Manchester to watch the thing in the flesh. I am surprised there's not a bit more track-talk in here, but it does seem to be a board of mainly road-fans.
I saw a few lines in The Sun (hack, spit, etc.), although I didn't have a good look at the press to see what their coverage was generally. You can knock the BBC's transmission much, though, except that they didn't show the morning/afternoon sessions, and they messed around a little bit on Sunday's main programme. But they did stick a few highlights on their main evening news bulletins, too.
Last Brit turn the lights out :wacko:
Well done on managing to drag an anti-PC rant into a completely unrelated and irrelevant debate. It must have taken quite a bit of thought to figure out how you'd work it in. I thought that the lack of response to Britain's dominance at the World Cup was because it's pretty much what was expected at the Manchester round of a prestigious but not maximum-level competition (the Aussies will dominate in a similar way in Melbourne in a couple of weeks time, albeit not as much). But it turns out we were all self-censoring because we were frightened of offending foreigners.

peanut

Skip Madness said:
Well done on managing to drag an anti-PC rant into a completely unrelated and irrelevant debate.

well done for spending half the morning responding to my post and managing to say nothing of consequence or anything interesting about cycling.

Your post pretty much sums up what I was saying about lack of general interest in cycling on CC .
You are clearly more motivated to post in order to have a dig at a fellow CC member than discuss a cycling issue :wacko:

Skip Madness

peanut said:
Your post pretty much sums up what I was saying about lack of general interest in cycling on CC .
I am interested in cycling. As I said above, I endured a six-hour trip from Bristol to Manchester (although it must have been much more tedious for my dad since he was the one behind the wheel) to attend one day of the very event in question. Then I uploaded most of the women's events on to my women's cycling YouTube account.
You are clearly more motivated to post in order to have a dig at a fellow CC member than discuss a cycling issue ;)
There are four threads on the front page of this forum that I started; one about the proposed reforms to track cycling, one about improving the route of the Tour of Britain, one about the progress of one of the best British riders of this season... and, er, one about Mark Cavendish speaking Italian. I discuss little but cycling issues on this board, principally because it's a cycling-related board.

BigSteev

I'm puzzled as to why you found the coverage hard to find. Friday and Saturday's evening sessions were on the red button (watched Friday, was there all day on Saturday) and Sunday had a mix of live action with highlights of the other 2 days on BBC2.

*Edit* Sorry, just re-read. You were on about the week before. No, didn't see any coverage of that, and couldn't afford the petrol to go for that weekend and the following one. xx(

Dave5N

Über Member
peanut said:
well done for spending half the morning responding to my post and managing to say nothing of consequence or anything interesting about cycling.

You are clearly more motivated to post in order to have a dig at a fellow CC member than discuss a cycling issue xx(

Why the aggression and animosity? I have no idea who skip_madness is, but he or she clearly knows a lot about cycling, and womens racing to boot.

Why are we Brits in the minority?

I watched the finals Great display of great riding by the youngsters of the sky team. Good thing I had sky in my room so I could watch it. No chance if it was only in the living room.

Didn't expect the Germans to fall apart like they did and a puncture that even surprised the commentators.

I think one of the major things is that watching it on tv wont give the same feeling as actually being there. Where as with the TDF you can almost feel the atmosphere.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I thought there was great coverage of both the Nationals and World Cup - hours and hours on the BBC red button, both live and highlights with all the schedule details on the website.

Is there nothing cyclist's won't whine about? Or is it just Peanut?

andrew_s

Legendary Member
perhaps Peanut hasn't gone digital yet?
Or perhaps he went by the Radio Times, saw nothing, and went for a ride instead. The BBC don't exactly make it easy to find out what's going to be on the red button in advance.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
andrew_s said:
perhaps Peanut hasn't gone digital yet?
Or perhaps he went by the Radio Times, saw nothing, and went for a ride instead. The BBC don't exactly make it easy to find out what's going to be on the red button in advance.

To be fair the BBC website detailed what was going to be shown live and what was going to be on the red button in advance. Just a shame I was working and missed most of it ;)

Skip Madness

I do think that the BBC's Red Button scheduling should be clearer and more prominent, it's effectively another BBC channel in itself nowadays.

Top Bottom