Need a new bike.. heavy lad!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AckaDappa

As the title says im looking for a bike to start me off on my road to skinnyness!! Lol
Long story short, Wedding next year, need to lose weight, enjoy cycling, hate gyms....

I have a muddyfox freefall at the moment whch is far from ideal for road riding.

I need a bike (max £250 for now) that will be easy to ride for a 17 stone bloke.
Guessing 2nd hand ebay is the way to go but i dont have a clue which brands etc to be looking at..

Any help is appreciated.
Cheers.
Dan.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
How tall are you Dan?
Are you looking for a flat bar/hybrid or drop handlebar road bike?

Wafer

Veteran
Shouldn't worry too much about the weight, I'm just under 17stone at the moment (put on a bit on honeymoon!) and most bikes are no problem, especially if you're looking at hybrid/mountain bikes. Only issue you might get is with some road bike wheels if they have lower spoke counts, like 20 or 24 spokes on the wheels, they can have weight limits around 110kg for example which is about 17st 4lbs. I doubt that will be a problem though.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
image.png
If you can stretch the budget a bit then this might be worth a look at £280.
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500-road-bike-black-id_8331913.html

You should consider the type of riding you aim to do. Is is just regular fitness loops, if so a regular road bike will do. Are you planning to commute? You will need a bike fitted with mudguards, so look for the necessary wheel clearance and threaded eyelets. Are you planning to do local errands and shopping, or maybe do some touring? Some rear luggage rack eyelets will help.
For weight loss, any saddle time is good and if you can use your bike instead of the car, you will loose weight and gain money.
Big riders can be hard on bikes, and big newbies even more so. Don't push too hard at first in a mad effort to shed weight. Just get used to riding, handling the bike, managing traffic, riding at a steady pace. Start with short rides and gradually extend. Over the following year you will have plenty of time to shed weight and make a permanent change to your lifestyle.
Budget for accessories: repair kit, helmet, gloves, shorts and jersey, lock, lights, mudguards, rack, bags as required. You don't need cycling shoes and clipless pedals for everyday use, and I would not advise them until you your bike handling is automatic.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
image.png
Or this at £299 which has the added benefit of a carbon fork.
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500-se-id_8306187.html

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
My advice is go for a decent quality second hand hybrid. £250 will get you a decent nearly new bike.
It will easily take the weight, and is a practical option.

Crandoggler

Triban, any of them. Never had a snag with any bike due to weight to be honest, so don't let anyone tell you any different.

si_c

Guru
I'd recommend the triban, nice looking bikes, good value for money, and will be lighter and much more nimble than your current bike. Plus as you're a little heavy, the extra low ring is nice on the hills. I really struggled when I was heavier (upwards of 19st), and would have appreciated that extra low.

ryan_w

104kg atm (heaviest was 107kg) riding a Tour spec bike on both 28mm and 58mm full carbon clinchers.

No problems at all...... Just make sure you have a minimum of 20F/24R spoke set-up.

Top Bottom