Need a new wheel but what type?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beany_bot

Veteran
So my wheels internals collapsed today. Thought it was just the bearings but it's smashed the race too. Time for a new wheel.

I don't know however what type to buy?

What I do know is that it should be 700c, Schrader valve, and take up to at least 35C tyres.

Im very much on a budget here so the cheaper the better. The bike itself was not expensive. Weight and Aero is of no concern. Ideally I would like it to match the old one (and front wheel), willing to pay a bit extra for that but thats all. Cheap and cheerful please.

Thanks.

IMG_20160926_175530_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160926_175542_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160926_175548_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160926_175600_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160926_175616_HDR.jpg

steve50

Disenchanted Member
If all else fails try your local bike shop, I'm sure they will have exactly what you want (2nd hand) fairly cheap.

Tim Hall

Umm, so you've got a wheel with a screw on freewheel that needs new bearings. Buy some more. I can't quite see the problem in the last photo, but if it's a set of ball bearings in a pressed steel cage that has collapsed, bin the cage and put new loose ball bearings in. Screw the freewheel back on and away you go. If the freewheel is banjaxed too, buy a new one and screw that on. No need for a new wheel as far as I can tell.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Well done getting the freewheel off (other thread). If a replacement wheel is the way ahead, LBS is my recommendation too. You have a 7 speed so likely will stay as a wheel with a hub for your current freewheel. If a freehub, you'd need to buy a cassette too - extra expense (but, in due course, you'd get to use that chain whip you bought in error, perhaps, to take the cassette off to clean it for example). Or possibly your local recycling centre. Bikes get taken there but the wheels are often fine, and yours is a simple nutted axle. The one which has failed you is a 36 spoke one. If you are on the well built side, don't go below 32.

OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
Umm, so you've got a wheel with a screw on freewheel that needs new bearings. Buy some more. I can't quite see the problem in the last photo, but if it's a set of ball bearings in a pressed steel cage that has collapsed, bin the cage and put new loose ball bearings in. Screw the freewheel back on and away you go. If the freewheel is banjaxed too, buy a new one and screw that on. No need for a new wheel as far as I can tell.

The hub is gone (as said in my original post) The bearings collapsed and took the race and inside of the hub with it.... Defo need a new wheel.

As for taking it to a local shop, not really keen to do that. A: My local bike shop is actually a multi-national chain and very expensive. B: I like doing things myself. Thats how you learn after all. It will be much cheaper if I just buy a new wheel online. Just looking for what "type" to buy. Thanks.

Ajax Bay

Guru
How about getting your LBS to put a new hub on for you?
I wonder whether the quality of the rim justifies that path? This wheel comes on a £200 (when new) bike.
Having said that @Brand X may have a spare hub just waiting for you (would need to be a 36 hole hub). See this thread. His spokes are breaking (but he is not a small man).
Just looking for what "type" to buy.
700c wheel (ie 622 in ETRTO speak). Rim needs to be at least 32 hole and at least 19mm wide. To replace like for like the hub is nutted and has a freewheel (not freehub).

OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
Well done getting the freewheel off (other thread). If a replacement wheel is the way ahead, LBS is my recommendation too. You have a 7 speed so likely will stay as a wheel with a hub for your current freewheel. If a freehub, you'd need to buy a cassette too - extra expense (but, in due course, you'd get to use that chain whip you bought in error, perhaps, to take the cassette off to clean it for example). Or possibly your local recycling centre. Bikes get taken there but the wheels are often fine, and yours is a simple nutted axle. The one which has failed you is a 36 spoke one. If you are on the well built side, don't go below 32.

Im confused? Freewheel came off in a jiffy with the buzz gun. I have a chainwhip but dont use it on a freewheel?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Confused your post and picture of freewheel with @Brand X 's. Read the thread to which I linked (post #7 above). The freewheels were both equally dirty. ;)

OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
In an ideal world I would like to keep the wheel as it matched the front. How hard is it to fit a new hub to all those spokes?

Top Bottom