Neighbours and property boundaries

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

speccy1

I was always lead to believe that if a neighbours` plant or tree went through your boundary you were perfectly entitled to chop off the offending foliage and return it if your neighbour requested it.

A few weeks ago, I removed the surplus conifer branches that were killing my lawn (these were on her side, not mine), and made a point of letting her know that I have trimmed them, which legally I didn`t need to do, but out of courtesy, I did. I got the silent treatment for that..............

Now today, I noticed that the honeysuckle that we have between us (the roots are hers next door) has been pushed over to my side of the fence and is blocking the light out of my dining room window. So I thought, to hell with it, the stuff overhanging my garden, again, is for the chop. This I did, leaving everything tidy, and her side totally un-altered. As I was sweeping up, I had to listen to a load of abuse as she pegged her washing out.

I understand that I am doing nothing wrong and if I am I am to be corrected, but why can`t the silly cow wind her neck in? Or am I wrong? Nothing of mine intrudes on anybody elses gardens, so why should I have to put up with it from other people??

And people say that people are over protective about metal cages :biggrin:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Legally you have every right to cut them unless there is a tree preservation order on a tree branches.

But you have to offer back the branches and cuttings to your neighbour, although she doesn't have to accept them or clear up fallen leaves.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
It really isn't a good idea to get into disputes with your neighbours. It really saps your spirit. Talk to them, even if you have to swallow your pride and even if they are in the wrong. People have ended up paying hundreds of thousands of pounds to lawyers over a piddling boundary dispute involving a few inches of hedge. Don't go there.

classic33

Leg End Member
I had to clear an old fence and briars seperating the garden at the rear. Safety reasons. More than once his dogs(Alsations being bred) were in our garden.
We had the boundary posts, to which I cut back just beyond, using a fork to throw back everything over the bushes on his property.

He came back whilst I was making the final touches to it. A rope tied onto one post and weighted on the other, provided a straight line. He wasn't happy either with what I was doing or the result.

Knowing he'd lose if he came near me, he let two dogs loose. Fork, shovel and slasher all to hand, and I made certain he knew what would happen should the dogs come near.

His wife had called the police, who confirmed to them that what I was doing was correct and he'd two choices at that point. I could return what was cut to the front of his property, blocking him in or he could accept the method being used. Either way, what he could'nt do was prevent me or threaten to set the dogs on me.
Non to happy at this, he took a swing at the female officer.

Same person later made a written complaint to the council, over the fence put up, as "killing his greenhouse"! Nothing that might have been growing inside, but the greenhouse itself.

Fascinating.

My snipping leaves and flowers was more fun...

Goofball

As long as you return what you removed, your in the right.

But to be friendly, it costs nothing to say to them what your going to do first.
If they want they can do it then and saves you work.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Terraced house. Neighbours have ivy on their exterior wall and it's now on my house too. It looks lovely but causes damage to the mortar and is now threatening to get into the eves of the roof.

I asked if I could cut my side back, they said yes. I didn't realise I had to offer it back to them, as it wold have saved me a trip to the recycling centre.

Katherine

Guru
I trim stuff that overhangs fences around the garden, but I dispose of it rather than throw it back.
If you want to take fruit that overhangs into your garden, I can see why you should offer it back but anything else is not going to be wanted and will surely only cause upset if you do.
I had a neighbour, that has thankfully moved away, who used to cut branches off trees and hedges between us and throw them into our drive or garden, or blow the leaves through the hedge or onto the road in front of our drive.

Simply state what is needed and ask them if they will cut it back.

If in a reasonable time they fail to do so, then inform them that you will perform the work

Again if no reasonable response do it

That way if it comes to a dispute, you can prove that you have acted reasonably

Friend of ours had a different issue

They had agreed to the neighbour cutting back a climbing plant that was climbing over a fence

Neighbour then billed them for the work!

Top Bottom