Nervous from Dunfermline

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fubar

Guru
Hi

Nervous newbie from Dunfermline, Fife - took up cycling again last year after a break of (approx) 24 years using my late Dad's mountain bike that I inherited, and just completed Pedal for Scotland Challenge Ride (50 miles) last weekend.

I'm not the fastest in the world (average approx 12-13 mph) however have lost 2 stone since I started back (still overweight though!) and recently migrated to SPD pedals and trying to increase my averages and lose some more weight. Also thinking about upgrading to a road bike and potentially commuting to Edinburgh (16 miles-ish).

Looking forward to stealing lots of ideas from the forum and maybe, just maybe contributing something worthwhile.

Pip pip. Mark :biggrin:

edindave

Über Member
Hello Fubar
wave.gif
welcome to CC
biggrin.gif

Well done on the PfS ride and weight loss. A 16 mile commute to Edinburgh will be no bother after that. No need to do it every day to start with and you know you can do over 3 times that distance already. It would be a lot easier (and faster) on a hybrid or road bike - you know you want to!
cool.gif

Maybe we'll see you on a forum ride sometime. Keep an eye out in the CC & Informal Rides and Events section of the forum for CC Ecosse rides. Hopefully there will be some meets before winter sets in (there was one today and there's still time for more!).

See you around,

Dave

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Cheers EdinDave

Have started making my way through the forum, not got the Rides section yet but will check it out next.

Also looking at Cyclescheme through work for a new bike, though undecided between a hybrid or a road bike - my feeling is that already having a MTB a hybrid would be too close therefore a road bike is the way to go (see how well I'm convincing myself?). Also memories of my teenage drop-bar Raleigh are still pretty strong.;)

speak soon, Mark

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
:hello: Hello & welcome Fubar, from south of the Forth!

As EdinDave says, come and join us at a CC Ecosse ride, ouer motto is "nobody gets left behind", and there is always a cake & chat stop ... :tongue:

T

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Thanks for the welcome Telemark, I was just reading the CC Ecosse link - sounds like you guys go pretty far! There is also a Dunfermline CC who do runs on a Sunday but it worries me a bit that I would just hold everyone up! I did PfS at my own pace really - I also think turning up on a crappy MTB would have everyone Tut-tutting me - am I paranoid or what?!? The cake sounds good though... :tongue:

Hiya Fubar :hello:, The CC Ecosse ride today was further but at a slow pace and most of our rides are far shorter than the PFS. I'm in the DCC, the Sunday ride is a bit energetic, I found I was struggling on the last 90 miler at 19.5mph :blush: I'd recommend going along to the Saturday Cafe Run, there's two groups (speeds) and its a great banter with a good cafe stop half way at the Loganlea or the Vanilla Pod in Dollar. PS go for that road bike (you know you want to) they are just so much easier IMO, more hand positions, etc :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Hi HLaB, thanks also for the kind welcome - interesting stuff! 90 miles at 19+mph is just not possible and (as suspected) I would either just annoy everyone or drop out VERY early... However a Saturday Cafe Run sounds good - I can't recall that being mentioned on the website?

I've also seen the Dunfermline Sportive advertised, I've enquired whether there are minimum requirements for entry i.e. minimum speed, time, etc. I am looking to keep my current fitness levels up over winter.

cheers, Mark

If you go to the Activities section of the DCC web site and click on club runs its there but to save you looking :thumbsup:
There are two weekly club runs. The first leaves from Pittencrieff Glen gates (the bottom end of Chalmers Street in Dunfermline) at 9.00am each Saturday morning throughout the year. The route takes riders on quiet back roads to Culross, Clackmannan, Alloa, Sauchie, Fishcross, Coalsnaughton, Forestmill - where we stop for a cup of tea at the Loganlea Coffee Shop - then Saline, Steelend and back to Dunfermline. The distance is around 30 miles and the pace is fairly easy at around 15mph, suiting club members who are racing the next day. The Sunday club run also leaves from Pittencrieff Glen gates at 9.00am every Sunday. Depending on the fitness/enthusiasm of riders taking part, the distance covered and pace will vary from 40 to 100 miles at 15mph up to 20mph. We generally stick to quiet and scenic routes, and the direction taken will usually be dictated by wind direction, with the intention of getting a tail wind on the way home.
Good luck :smile:

ACS

Legendary Member
:welcome: :bicycle:

c_anne

Regular
Hi

Nervous newbie from Dunfermline, Fife - took up cycling again last year after a break of (approx) 24 years using my late Dad's mountain bike that I inherited, and just completed Pedal for Scotland Challenge Ride (50 miles) last weekend.

I'm not the fastest in the world (average approx 12-13 mph) however have lost 2 stone since I started back (still overweight though!) and recently migrated to SPD pedals and trying to increase my averages and lose some more weight. Also thinking about upgrading to a road bike and potentially commuting to Edinburgh (16 miles-ish).

Looking forward to stealing lots of ideas from the forum and maybe, just maybe contributing something worthwhile.

Pip pip. Mark :biggrin:

c_anne

Regular
Hi Mark,
just read your post. There is also the Kinross Cycling Club - check out the website www.kinrosscyclingclub.co.uk . Really friendly club, we go out on Sunday mornings. We have just started doing weekly spin classes to keep up the fitness over the winter.
If you fancy a Sunday morning run, please come along.
Carolanne

Dave Crampton

Hi Mark,

I live in Dalgety Bay, and we have an informal group who cycle from the train st most Sundays. If you wanted to join us once you have a road bike I'm sure no one would mind. There are usually only 3 - or 4 of us and we stop half way for cakes and tea. We meet most Sunday around 08.30 for 9am in winter and go for a ~30 mile ride round Fife, Cleich, Kinross, etc.. or down to Cairnpapple south of Linlithgow, ending at the rail st again. The pace is approx 14 - 16mph average, but again you would not be left behind. We meet through Forth Bay Wheelers on Facebook (A private group) you just need to ask the moderators to add you to the list.

As for a choice of bike, I started with a Dawes Galaxy, and recently bought a Cyclocross bike (Cotix >X<) for commuting on as I have started to run through the Dalmeny Estate which brings me out at Hawes Inn in S Queensferry. If you wanted to start off with an easier commute you could park at Ferry Toll or even take the train to Dalmeny. From Cramond Brig there is the number 1 National Cycle Network which runs right into Edinburgh center. It avoids the A90 which can be hairy for the inexperienced rider who feel uncomfortable riding up a dual carrage way in rush hour.

If you do ride into Edinburgh and want someone to ride in with pm me here and I'll arrange a date to ride in and out, to show you the routes in and out of Edin. Meeting up at Ferry Toll is easyest as I ride past it each way.

Dave C

Top Bottom