Netbooks...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Downward

Guru
I use mine all the time.
The only thing is it's a ball ache for word excel etc as the screen isn't big enough.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I bought one for when I am travelling for work. A Toshiba NB100.
And found exactly what you did, too small for excel, which is a complete pain

Downward said:
I use mine all the time.
The only thing is it's a ball ache for word excel etc as the screen isn't big enough.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
A netbook is useful as a second computer, when you don't need to do serious work, good for traveling, email, note taking and web browsing. Anything that need lost of screen space like spreadsheets or lot of power like databasing or photo editing needs a full computer (be it laptop or desktop)...

That said the Samsung NC10 is one of the best Netbooks there is...

Was in tescos yesterday. They now have some 11.6' screen netbooks - anyone have one? One had a dedicated graphics card as well, seems the lines between netbooks and laptops are blurring a bit.

garrilla

I've got a Samsung NC10 - its fooking lovely. For web and word processing its great. The only I'd say is get 2Gb memory first off and maybe consider a portable DVD player too. On the web I love being in full screen.

I've got lots of tech and my main laptop is an EliteBook (2.8mhz core-duo with 8Gb mem) but it weighs shoot loads. The netbook is great for traveling to and from work except when I need the power of the other machine.

--from my NC10

Im looking to get a Samsung N110 to replace my Q40 which has been very good for the last few years.I agree get all the memory you can.

I also have a Dell Inspiron 910 here and it has 2 Gig ram.

woohoo

Veteran
Watch out with the end-of-line NC10 bargains from the likes of Comet, Argos etc. These machines have a 3 cell, rather than the normal 6 cell, battery and consequently have shorter battery life (albeit still as good as many other netbooks). The current Samsung range is N110 (replaces NC10), N120 (wider with bigger keyboard but same size screen), N310 and the NC20 (bigger screen and different processor). They've also announced a N130, N140, N510 so it's best to check on the current specs and prices first.

-- from my N110.

Yeah will buy a new Netbook next year to replace my Samsung Q40 (for my next trip away).The Dell Inspiron 910 has been ok.As I say the later I leave it the more chance I will have of getting a faster machine for the same money.(From my Q40)

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I've got an N110. bloody marvellous machine. but i wouldn't want to be doing excel on it. the screens ain't big enough to see what your doing.

twowheelsgood

Use mine all the time. In fact I'd say it's the single most used/useful machine I have as it doubles as an internet radio.

I'm not sure if the latest ones are better but even if the screen is bigger, the resolution is still 1024*600 as this was a rule Microsoft put on the cut-ptice XP license for netbooks.

The trick with them is to max out the 2gb memory, it really helps if you can avoid paging.

Downward

Guru
I saw the Acer One for £150 at E Buyer.
I put XP Lite on mine which is XP but with stuff you need only on it and although it's only 1gb it's used all the time for Internet, I Tunes and downloading.

woohoo

Veteran
twowheelsgood said:
I'm not sure if the latest ones are better but even if the screen is bigger, the resolution is still 1024*600 as this was a rule Microsoft put on the cut-ptice XP license for netbooks.

I believe Intel insisted on the same restrictions which is why netbooks use the Atom N270/N280 (or less powerful) processors if the screen is 1024 x 600. Samsung with their NC20, which has a 1280 x 800, use the VIA U2250 processor to get round this restriction, although they still seem to able to supply.

IIRC, M$ft are (or are rumoured to be) going to put restrictions into Windows 7 to reduce its functionality if it is running on what M$ft deem to be a netbook.

Top Bottom