New bike light?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cameronmu917772

I came home from work to night and being the know it all of tech my partner asked if I had seen, "this new bike light." I asked what it did presuming it gave us a massive glowing cyclist icon glowing into the sky. And I own the rights to that idea lol so a quick google search and it turns out to be this. http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/new-bike-light-makes-cyclists-easier-to-spot-9253518.html
It's a short summery to be honest but feel free to look further into it. (I'm not) anyway I feel this would only be useful in urban areas. If that at all, and as I'm not an urban man... Nor a driver I fail to see how adding this bulky thing onto the bike will help what is wrong with a bit of high vis? For thos of us that cycle at night? I fail to see what this little symbol will do from a drivers point traveling at speed :s and £45 pounds? That's enough money for lights and hi vis for a year or more.... No?

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
It's a nice idea, but it's trying to fix the symptom rather than the problem. The symptom is that motorists fail to pay enough attention to cyclists, while the problem is lack of education in how to share the roads with cyclists.

sight-pin

Veteran
Great If it saves lives.
I'm just wondering if anyone has noticed if any of these lights are being used yet? Last time i noticed the add, they wasn't available yet, looks like on sale now though.
https://www.blaze.cc/

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
All the figures and stats point to SMIDSY and going too fast and underestimating relative distances and speeds.

not sure how a different shape light template will mitigate these.

The DfE figures have a long list of contributing factors to police investigated collisions but none of them are 'I didn't realise it was a cyclist'

that said its a far less dangerous gimmick than the latest project onto the road red herring that the Telegraph did a sales pitch review of yesterday that will see naive people thinking their bat signal light will protect them up the side of big, poor visibility, regular cycle killer vehicles.

They appear to have changed the review in response to the response from Twitter pointing out that inherent danger and other anomalies in the utterly naive review.

oldstrath

Über Member
Great If it saves lives.
I'm just wondering if anyone has noticed if any of these lights are being used yet? Last time i noticed the add, they wasn't available yet, looks like on sale now though.
https://www.blaze.cc/
I struggle to imagine how they could save lives, at least in the rural areas I ride. The vehicles that turn across are driven by people who have overtaken, then pull left. If they don't know I'm there it's because they suffer from an extreme form of dementia with literally no short term memory. More plausible they are simply impatient feckwits who think their heads will explode if they have to 9wait for 5 seconds.

This light would not help. A grenade launcher might.

OP
OP
Cameronmu917772

Cameronmu917772

After my ride today it just goes to show that my theory is correct. On returning to my home town today after a great but he'll of a windy 50 mile trek. I was using a main road and doing around 40mph and three people decided to over take me un safely only for all the traffic to slow down and bunch up 2 mins later. I was tempted to taunt the offending drivers as I passed them again but in stead thought better of it. Now have my feet up and relaxing after a large meal :smile:

Top Bottom