New bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello :-)

I am looking to buy a new mountain bike.
I wanted dual suspension, ladies and can spend up to £450 also prefer 26" tyres ..

I have found a bike in Halfords but its a dull black one! But its ideal.... is this a good bike, should i just go for it and ignore the boring colour?
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bik...e=tradeuppromo-_-cycling+Pages-_-ApolloSpiral

I have a 50 mile bike ride coming up in 2 weeks so need a new bike by then as my bike doesnt want to be a bike anymore!

I'm very grateful for all suggestions.. :-)

vickster

Legendary Member
Apollo bikes have a pretty poor rep so perhaps look around. Why do you require dual suspension? Is that 50 miles all off road? If riding on roads mainly, you really don't need suspension, it adds unnecessary weight, it'll sap your energy, and slow you down

If an MTB is what you want however, perhaps have a look at decathlon, good value for money

OP
OP
S

SunsetRide

Apollo bikes have a pretty poor rep so perhaps look around. Why do you require dual suspension? Is that 50 miles all off road? If riding on roads mainly, you really don't need suspension, it adds unnecessary weight, it'll sap your energy, and slow you down

If an MTB is what you want however, perhaps have a look at decathlon, good value for money

Hello,

Thank youmfor replying :smile:
I wanted dual suspension as i thought it was better.
I ride mainly on flat along the canal and sometimes quite bumpy mud tracks, depends where i end up going.
Just cant find a bike i really like :sad:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

Which is @vickster's polite way of saying the Apollo is a dreadful contraption, so please don't buy it.

It's unlikely you will need full suspension, and that bike would fall apart within yards on a tough trail that would be best tackled on a full sus bike

Your budget brings you into reasonable hardtail mountain bike territory.

If Halfords is convenient, something like this Carrera is a decent bike and good value at £229.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/carrera-valour-womens-mountain-bike-2015

Tim Hall

The Halfords website isn't loading on my laptop, but it seems the Apollo Spiral is about £150. Looking at the spec on my phone it's a heavy, low quality "cheap" bike and best avoided. Like vickster said, any suspension at that price point adds weight and not a lot else. You said you've got a budget of £450, so you can do a lot better than the Spiral.

Can you still get Carerra Subway 1? No suspension, so money gets spent on useful things like good quality gears and brakes.Last time I was involved in the purchase of one it was on offer at about £210 which was stonking good value.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SunsetRide

I'd go with front suspension if you ride on bumpy stuff and dont really need to go quickly. Have you also looked at the hybrids with front suspension, those will offer more options, albeit with bigger wheels. Are you petite of stature hence wanting the smaller wheels? 26" wheels seem to be being phased out these days

I'll chuck this into the mix
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-540-womens-mountain-bike-275-white-id_8350455.html

Im not the biggest person in the world, i am 5ft 2 haha!
I think after years of having 26" wheels its something ive gotmused to liking and dont eally like the big tyres :/
Lovely bike! Love it... :O

OP
OP
S

SunsetRide

Hi!

For the type of riding you suggest, you probably don't need full suspension. And as @vickster says, Apollo aren't generally that well though of...
At the sort of money you're looking at spending, a Carrera or VooDoo bike (also from Halfords) would be a better bet - the one suggested above by @Pale Rider is a good place to start.
This hybrid also seems to get consistently good reviews: http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bik...y-1-womens-hybrid-bike-2015mountain-bike-2015
Hello, thank you for replying, i will have a look into those brands, i tried your link but it doesnt seem to be working for me :sad:

Top Bottom