New Boardman Road Sport - Limited Edition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tudor_77

Über Member
Hi,

Was just having a little nose on Halfords and noticed this new limited edition 'Boardman Road Sport' at £599.

Have to admit to being very fond of Boardman Road bikes ( and white bikes in particular! ) so thought this looked very interesting.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...productId_1016236_langId_-1_categoryId_165710

What are peoples thoughts on this bike? I know Halfords are generally frowned upon but Boardman bikes are solid. Seems okay for the price although at this particular price point I think they could have opted for Sora over Claris, or is that just me being picky? The colour scheme is growing on me though. Couldn't find any information online beyond Halfords site so thought I would post here.

So, what are peoples opinions??

Peteaud

Veteran
Looks pretty good to me.

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
  • Tektro Dual Pivot Calliper Brakes for efficient, controllable braking power
  • 16 Speed Shimano Claris gearing
  • FSA Tempo Compact 50/34t chainset
  • Shimano Claris STI Gear Shifters
  • Mavic CXP22 28/32 hole rims on QR hubs
  • Vittoria Zaffiro - 700c x 25c tyres,
been looking at Tektro 'nutted' calipers for the Peugeot - pretty much bottom line
as are the Zaffiro

don't know the rims - but for £600 i reckon you have a wider field,

OP
OP
tudor_77

tudor_77

Über Member
Yeah, I can't really see how it differs from the regular Boardman Sport other than the sexy paint job and matching yellow bar tape and tyres. Not sure if that warrants the extra money though. The Boardman Sport did get excellent reviews but as you say John, there are much better specced bikes out there for that kind of money.

Dark46

Veteran
Looks very nice but don't know the difference between that and another Boardman road bike. Looks different with yellow tyres.
I have a Boardman MX Comp, and the moment in VERY happy with the bike and with Halfords staff. But things may or may not change when I take the bike in for its first service in a few weeks. At the moment I have no regrets.

Last edited:

Peteaud

Veteran
CXP mavics are pretty good. They came with my old Defy 2 and always ran well.
Tyres are always going to be el cheapo, but run them until they wear and then fit a better set
Tektro, bargain basement but work ok, again a cheap upgrade at a later date.
Claris, well yes Sora would be nice.
Frame is good on the boardmans.

To me it is a good bike and looks good. Plenty of other choices about but if the OP likes it then go for it.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Yeah, I can't really see how it differs from the regular Boardman Sport other than the sexy paint job and matching yellow bar tape and tyres. Not sure if that warrants the extra money though. The Boardman Sport did get excellent reviews but as you say John, there are much better specced bikes out there for that kind of money.
Carbon fork , the sport has a ally fork if i am not mistaken.

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Carbon fork , the sport has a ally fork if i am not mistaken.
Yes the 2013 version was deffo ally all over. Maybe this is a 2014 improvement..... I really like it tbh!
Not bad value if you get carbon forks and Boardmans smooth welds make it look really smart. I think it's great for the money

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Yes the 2013 version was deffo ally all over. Maybe this is a 2014 improvement..... I really like it tbh!
Not bad value if you get carbon forks and Boardmans smooth welds make it look really smart. I think it's great for the money
I have the white road comp from a couple of years ago, triple butted smooth welds with full carbon forks and sram apex.The wheels are standard across the cheaper boardmans and now grace my virtuoso as i have just added rs11`s to the comp.
last post shows latest image.
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/evolution-of-a-boardman.120508/page-2

400bhp

Guru
For the money, pretty average.

It has a carbon fork but has Claris groupset.

You could pick up a Cannondale CAAD8 claris for the same money.

Or a Decathlon Triban 5 with Sora for a fair bit less.

Plus, plenty of other examples.

vickster

Legendary Member
What's spend and save?

Can get 10% off if you join British Cycling (£32 for ride membership)

Brava210

Über Member
On halfords website if you spend £100- 10 pound off etc
So if you buy bike for £499 you get £40 off plus 10% British cycling and it will come down to £414
You can stack the various discounts too, I always do that ^_^

Last edited:
  • Tektro Dual Pivot Calliper Brakes for efficient, controllable braking power
  • 16 Speed Shimano Claris gearing
  • FSA Tempo Compact 50/34t chainset
  • Shimano Claris STI Gear Shifters
  • Mavic CXP22 28/32 hole rims on QR hubs
  • Vittoria Zaffiro - 700c x 25c tyres,
been looking at Tektro 'nutted' calipers for the Peugeot - pretty much bottom line
as are the Zaffiro

don't know the rims - but for £600 i reckon you have a wider field,
I own a boardman race and can tell you that there is nothing wrong with the tektro brakes, it is just the pads that are pants, so a fairly cheap upgrade. The mavic cxp22 wheels are a liitle heavy, but they are bombproof, still use them now in winter. There is nothing wrong with the saffron tyres either, not a single puncture in many a mile.

Top Bottom