New campaigning voice.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
It appears British Cycling now intends to work towards encouraging utility cycling.
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/c...lear-steps-to-make-Britain-a-cycling-nation-0
They've got the (old) CTC and the Sustrans logos there, so let's hope it's properly joined up between the three organisation. Congratulations to them, though, for this image of a utility cyclist...

CYCLING-MANIFESTO_SAFER.1469635468.png

I hope they manage to divert ministerial attention away from the oh-so-important issue of pubs at airports....

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've not heard anything via the Active Travel Alliance and Cyclenation so I don't think this is "properly joined up". Sadly, BC doing its own thing and presenting the rest of us with take-it-or-leave-it done-deals is nothing new. They have been making more noises like "chooseCycling" and so on for a few years now. I fear we may be seeing a contest between British Cycling and Cycling UK as both try to move in on the transport/utility cycling ground that CTC abandoned decades ago, ultimately leading to the formations of LCC, Cyclenation and Sustrans.

Also, do we feel that "working towards 5% of public sector transport spend" is enough? Maybe that works for London and other big cities, but shire counties spend buttons on public transport and loads on roads, so we've been calling for a fairer share of 4% of the whole transport budget for starters. And "working towards"? Really? So any increase "towards" is OK? :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong. It's nice that we're all pulling in similar directions, but I wish BC weren't being so wishy-washy.

swansonj

Guru
I heard a rumour this week that CTC had approached British Cycling about a merger, but been rebuffed because of their charity status. Does anyone know if there's any truth in that?

swansonj

Guru
It wouldn't surprise me... but I haven't heard anything on the grape vine.

CTC's lost a lot of members (and I mean proper members - not the 'supporters' that they try and count as members) and as a result a lot of money. A lot of heir project funding is also drying up. Financially they're not in a good place.
I also heard tell of constitutionally correct but morally dubious appropriation of bank reserves, built up locally by traditional DA/member groups, for campaigning purposes, by means of an influx of members (of the national CTC but not the member group in question) to AGMs. The implication was clearly that this was supported?organised? by head office.

mjr

I heard a rumour this week that CTC had approached British Cycling about a merger, but been rebuffed because of their charity status. Does anyone know if there's any truth in that?
I don't know but I think it unlikely because I think the difficulty it would present for possible mergers was discussed extensively when CTC converted to a charity a few years ago. (In other words, it was always known that the more likely merger partners were not charities and would be unwilling or unable to merge with one.)

I also heard tell of constitutionally correct but morally dubious appropriation of bank reserves, built up locally by traditional DA/member groups, for campaigning purposes, by means of an influx of members (of the national CTC but not the member group in question) to AGMs. The implication was clearly that this was supported?organised? by head office.
How would an influx of members change anything? I thought member groups got a flat rate not linked to how many members they had since 2012 (example), which is part of the reason that some of the more active groups have converted to affiliate groups (example) which charge their members per member like FNRttC does.

swansonj

Guru
How would an influx of members change anything? I thought member groups got a flat rate not linked to how many members they had since 2012 (example), which is part of the reason that some of the more active groups have converted to affiliate groups (example) which charge their members per member like FNRttC does.
The suggestion AIUI - and I merely pass it on, not vouch for it - was that the DA had built up substantial reserves (£20k+) largely through running events, and intended it for touring/racing/social purposes fitting the traditional activities of a DA. The influx of members not previously involved in that DA voted to use the money for campaigning instead.

mjr

the DA had built up substantial reserves (£20k+) largely through running events, and intended it for touring/racing/social purposes fitting the traditional activities of a DA.
Ah, I see. Up until 30 or 40 years ago, campaigning was also a traditional activity of many DAs, but I know what you mean.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The suggestion AIUI - and I merely pass it on, not vouch for it - was that the DA had built up substantial reserves (£20k+) largely through running events, and intended it for touring/racing/social purposes fitting the traditional activities of a DA. The influx of members not previously involved in that DA voted to use the money for campaigning instead.
That's the thing about semi-democratic organisations. Supporters can sign up for three quid and take barking mad decisions against the long-term interests of the organisation and the wishes of long-standing members.

swansonj

Guru
That's the thing about semi-democratic organisations. Supporters can sign up for three quid and take barking mad decisions against the long-term interests of the organisation and the wishes of long-standing members.
The parallel is of course quite a good one - both organisations having created a "membership light" category to expand the membership. In CTC's case, AIUI Kevin Mayne had a bonus-linked target to expand the membership and (logically from that narrow perspective) decided the easiest way to meet the target and earn the bonus was to give membership away for free or almost free.

But both organisations pose the same question: who gets to define what they exist for? In CTC's case, it is very clear that an organisation existing for one purpose has been taken over and converted into an organisation for a different purpose. That is democratically legitimate and just tough for those of us who regret it, but it is at least clear what's happened and that it's a fait accompli. In the Labour Party case, it seems less clear who is the inheritor of the original tradition and who the people seeking control of the organisation to change it into something else.

oldroadman

Veteran
As I read it, the release is a follow on from the work Chris Boardman has been doing, representing BC. This is, I think, a good thing. BC are now very recognised, compared with other organisations For example, few people outside the sport have heard of CTC - now Cycling UK? What an uninspired rebrand in an effort to get more members. Likewise other "campaigning" groups. I have heard of LCC and they probably do a good job in the capital, but that has limited national impact.
As BC appear to have the largest membership - over 120,000 - and clearly the ear of government - then they are probably best placed to drive campaigns.
Wouldn't it be good if everyone could get together for maximum impact? Then again, this is Britain and the day it happened someone would get upset because their pet issue was not top of the agenda, and go off to start their own organisation. I've never really been a union type, but in this case, that unity would be strength to everyone's benefit.

mjr

The reason we don't come together is in the phrase "outside the sport". Cycling is only a sport to some people. To others, it's transport. Many cyclists won't back BC while it keeps encouraging compulsory helmet rules and e bike and recumbent bans on charity rides. BC is deeply schizophrenic about transport cycling. For every Boardman, there's at least one sportsman who doesn't understand the joy of kicking your feet out as you freewheel downhill with a basketful of shopping.

Other countries have distinct cycle sport, cycle transport and cycle tourism organisations. We probably should too, rather than several battling jacks of all trades fighting each other for members and supporters more than improving cycling.

OP
OP
snorri

snorri

Legendary Member
. Many cyclists won't back BC while it keeps encouraging compulsory helmet rules and e bike and recumbent bans on charity rides. BC is deeply schizophrenic about transport cycling. For every Boardman, there's at least one sportsman who doesn't understand the joy of kicking your feet out as you freewheel downhill with a basketful of shopping..
I feel there are signs of a mellowing in BC attitude with regard to helmets, possibly in order to pick up those feeling homeless since the change of emphasis at CUK.
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/about/article/20150701-about-bc-static-Helmet-policy-0?c=EN
I'm more concerned their campaigning will not be nationwide, BC appear to be even more anglo-centric than CUK, despite both their titles!

Top Bottom