New chain shifting on its own

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tojo

Über Member
The first thing I would check your RD cable for correct tension and make sure it is not sticky at some point along its route....Also how many chains have you replaced whilst using the same cassette.....?

As User9609 mentions have you put the chain on the right way as some 10spd chains are uni-directional....:whistle:

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
[QUOTE 3879913, member: 9609"]If the chain is the same size and the cassette is in good condition (which it looks like it is) then I can't see a new chain affecting the indexing of your gears - if there was a sideways kink in the chain that might cause it, but that would only happen once on a whole revolution when the kink passed. So my only thoughts are you have inadvertently moved the barrel adjustment screw. try turning it a couple of clicks clockwise, and if that doesn't fix it try a couple of clicks anticlockwise -

are these very narrow 10 speed chains directional ?[/QUOTE]

There was a debate on the "Fettled today" thread about the state of the cassette, so I have a Veloce ordered to replace this Miche 10spd. I'm not thinking this would be a result of a new chain though.

image.jpg

There's nothing in the packet that indicates the chain being unidirectional.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
The first thing I would check your RD cable for correct tension and make sure it is not sticky at some point along its route....Also how many chains have you replaced whilst using the same cassette.....?

As User9609 mentions have you put the chain on the right way as some 10spd chains are uni-directional....:whistle:

How would I check the tension is correct?

First new chain, original cassette (until tomorrow).

winjim

Smash the cistern
A KMC chain isn't unidirectional and that cassette looks ok to me. I would think it's just a case of derailleur setup. Just start from first principles. Find that video that's always being posted (you know the one) and follow it. Be aware of the B screw adjustment on a Campagnolo rear mech which is different to whatever Shimano use.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Update:

It seems to be only around the 3rd cog, switching up or down, to the 3rd. Shifting to the 2nd or 4th is solid.

I did notice occasional problems switching to 1st (biggest cog) with the chain not slotting in quickly.

How many miles has it done?

About:

Bike Ride 119 100 2,658.14 km 142.75 h 97,911 kCal

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
A KMC chain isn't unidirectional and that cassette looks ok to me. I would think it's just a case of derailleur setup. Just start from first principles. Find that video that's always being posted (you know the one) and follow it. Be aware of the B screw adjustment on a Campagnolo rear mech which is different to whatever Shimano use.

I'm afraid I don't, I'm using Zinns book as my bible for now. It doesn't seem to mention this particular problem, though I could overhaul the rear dérailleur just for good maintenance.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Update:

Well I'm not sure but it seems to be fixed.

These were the steps:

1. Release rear dérailleur cable
2. In top gear adjust the top limiter screw
3. Click down shifter all the way. (Edit: pushed shifter to biggest cog) Reattach the dérailleur cable
4. In bottom gear adjust the bottom limiter screw
5. Check shifting, check jockey wheel aligned in top, middle and bottom gears adjusting the cable tensioner

I couldn't see any movement when adjusting the limiter screws or cable tensioner at all, so they are randomly set. I have no idea what the dérailleur cable tension should be and there is no information on it.

Took it out up a 25% gradient, the bike strains heaving my 86kgs uphill but no gear slips, so it looks to be sorted.

:becool:

Last edited:
Top Bottom