England : Hampshire New Date! Night Ride Around The Coast 2015 (August 21)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
OK, thread title updated. August 21st it is (fingers crossed.......).

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Did the first recce today. Amended route worked out well, I don't think anyone who went last year will regret missing Cowleaze Hill out! Some parts I've never ridden before & proved a pleasant surprise. I was a little slow getting round to Blackgang, but the stretch between there and Freshwater really boosted the average speed (15.1 mph for that bit, even with the climb before Freshwater Bay!!) Didn't bother with going down to the Needles or doing the last stretch into Ryde, but there shouldn't be any issue with either of those sections. I'll be doing a night recce at some point in the next few weeks.
https://www.strava.com/activities/332790150

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

A little bump to let everyone know that there will be an extra expense for the second ferry journey of the trip, the Cowes floating bridge, as charges for foot passengers are being introduced. It will cost each rider a whole 40p.......

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
:smile:
A detour would involve going through Newport, wouldn't save anything at all in time or miles, and probably more traffic to boot.
...and detour is boring. I remember the Randonee one year when the floater was closed.

We went over to the island for a short weekend break recently. The ferry ticket was going to cost more than the digs! Luckily the holiday home operators got us heavy discount to soften the blow.

£125 to take a car over for the weekend. Crazy money!

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

...and detour is boring. I remember the Randonee one year when the floater was closed.

We went over to the island for a short weekend break recently. The ferry ticket was going to cost more than the digs! Luckily the holiday home operators got us heavy discount to soften the blow.

£125 to take a car over for the weekend. Crazy money!
Passenger fare is bad enough. Day return for the recce was £14.20, and the cheapest option for the night recce and the 21st would be £19.40 (Fishbourne return).

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Shameless bump to take advantage of the post-Whitstable good feelings and thoughts of 'when can I do that again'. Sign-ups & provisional expressions of interest listed below. Nocturnal recce is pencilled in for Friday next, 31st July (OK, 1 August by the time I'm rolling). Anyone wishing to join me for that is very welcome.
@Flying Dodo
@velovoice
@Eddie_C
@JoeyB
@ianmac62

Any more?

Eddie_C

Über Member
Shameless bump to take advantage of the post-Whitstable good feelings and thoughts of 'when can I do that again'. Sign-ups & provisional expressions of interest listed below. Nocturnal recce is pencilled in for Friday next, 31st July (OK, 1 August by the time I'm rolling). Anyone wishing to join me for that is very welcome.
@Flying Dodo
@velovoice
@Eddie_C
@JoeyB
@ianmac62

Any more?
Thanks Stu - in the diary.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Hi Stu,

At last I've sorted family holiday dates and they shouldn't clash with the 21st, so add me to the guest list. I might have been up for the recce but for my recent road-dive. Only other proviso is that I will bail of the weather is bad. An ill-advised escapade in 2011 around the island in apocalyptic conditions nearly killed me. That place is like Vietnam to me man. I've seen things........

Top Bottom