England : Hampshire New Date! Night Ride Around The Coast 2015 (August 21)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
That leaves us with....
@Flying Dodo
@velovoice
@Eddie_C
@Bollo
@CharlieB
@ianmac62
(and me, obv....)
Any more....?
Took this last Saturday morning....
20556953351_a509b2530d_k.jpg

Yes, we're climbing that. Not that bad, honest (the Randonnee crowd do it every year)...and you get a nice long downhill afterwards. And an awesome view.

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Weather forecasts still looking good. Certainly better than my for my ride home tonight! :rain::rain:`

mmmmartin

Random geezer
good luck team

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
First up, this deserves a bigger audience. Stu knows how to put together a ride and the island is a unique and rewarding backdrop. If you decided to give this one a miss, decide differently next year.

I'm no good at ride reports, so I'll just dump my highlights....

Meeting fellow forumites of course. I'm only an occasional forum rider, but really enjoy being able to put real people to their interbob personalities.

The route - I've ridden around the island about a dozen times, usually following either the official round-the-island route or the minor variations of the randonnee. Stu crafted a route that hugged the coastline a little tighter and edited out some of the more relentless ups and downs.

The weather - On this the island owes me one. The south of the island can feel like hell itself on a wet and windy ride, but the weather for this ride was ridiculously pleasant; no wind, clear skies and mild. Huh?

The Needles - These are a bit of a tourist trap by day, but at dawn the viewing area was deserted. The ride up to the Battery is like a snack-size Alpe d'Huez and the views over the Needles and back to the sunrise over the rolling valley mist were just stunning.

The Military Road - a night ride chaingang?

The Milky Way - I didn't think it was possible to see this in the south of England, but it was clearly visible for most of the ride. We spent a good part of the rest stop at Blackgang just staring into space. And wondering where Stu was.

Ryde Tescos - who buys cat food, and only cat food, at 2am?

The sound of the sea - Never far away.

Sorry for bailing at Cowes, but my indexing was all over the place. A duff gear change played a role in last month's off, so I was reluctant to carry on with knackered gears.

Rebecca - sorry you had to bail.

Stu - thanks again for putting this together.

See you next year!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
. Stu knows how to put together a ride!

Well said.

I've seen at first hand some of the effort Stu puts in to sorting his rides.

Anyone riding with him can be confident the preparation has been spot on.

Good point about the weather, too.

I've little experience of that, but can imagine it could be grim on the south side.

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
A little late of the mark with this one, but first and foremost, a huge thank you to Stu (and the other recce'ers) for putting this ride together.
After a bit of debate at Victoria station between me, A and R regarding alternative means of getting to Pompey, after a combination of a cancelled train and a universal failure of the departure boards, a slightly convoluted route was established, but got us to the south coast in good time. At Victoria, all the Southern staff went to ground, and tempers were understandably fraying here and there.
To the Isle of Wight, then on a refurbished ferry with Frozen showing loudly in the children's area. The on-board Greggs does great coffee.
As for the ride, I can't add much to what's already been said, but it's a fabulous route that followed most of the (signposted) Randonée. Mind you, I can't imagine doing the Randonée, as I assume they don't close the roads(?), and that so, the traffic, particularly along the Military Road, would be a bit scary?
It was fab last year, and it was even better this due to a warm night and clear skies.
It's a hilly one, and I'm ashamed to say I walked a little bit of that last little climb into Ryde.
Thank you one and all - can't wait for next year!

It has been quoted that I like hills. Some more than others. We had been warned: this was an undulating ride, with hills between the undulations. Quite.

Some images just cannot be captured on old fashioned celluloid or even modern digital devices. What follows is a brief personal description of the lingering images that are found in the Night Ride folder of my memory.

After a couple of hours we re-grouped at a junction of minor roads. The nocturnal sky was inky black, devoid of cloud, littered with fulgent stars and the Milky Way. Charlie, one of own celestial bodies, pointed out various constellations to the less knowledgeable of us. A wondrous sight.

We climbed Blackgang Hill. Not too steep (inner ring for me though) but a long, long grind. One of the reasons I like hills is the descent that invariably follows. And this was no exception, yet ending al too quickly, as usual. After re-grouping, in the crepuscular light, we fairly flew along the Military Road (A3055), a lovely road unencumbered by vehicles, with the coast to our left and the cliffs beyond Freshwater in the distance. According to a GPS thingy, we averaged over 30 kph for over 13km.

Around 04.30, we pulled into the parking area for Compton Beach. From the clifftop edge, we watched 2 boarders enjoying the gentle surf below. ‘Nutters’ mused Adam , soft laughter ensued. One wonders if they noticed our lights and thought similar about us.

In the distance, we could see Freshwater in the valley. Just above, it looked like liquid cotton wool had been poured along a narrow strip of the verdant fields, tumbling down the chalk cliff into the sea.

It was decided to visit the Needles, so we proceeded upwards towards Alum Bay in thickening mist. It was a mild night yet the temperature noticeably and quickly dropped a few degrees here. We whizzed by the entrance to Tennyson’s former home of 40 years – though the house is not visible from the road. Nearing Alum Bay, the dense mist cleared and we made our way to the battery. Around the first hairpin and we collectively stopped. The eastern horizon faced us directly and there was a slim penumbra of deep orange surrounded by a lighter glow. Within 180seconds, the segment grew to a ball of fire-bright orange with an almost white centre, rise into the sky. Spectacular.

We made our descent into Yarmouth thru damp air, leaving us and the bikes covered in droplets as if we’d ridden thru light drizzle. Spectacle wearers struggled with their vision obscured.

At the Cowes chain ferry, we bid adieu to Eddie and Paul, while the remainder rode to Ryde, becoming very warm due to rising temperature and yet more rising landscapes.

A superb ride.

Thank yous to: Stu, ride organiser and road captain; Adam, his trusty second in command; all other participants, for being themselves and cameraderie; Mr R Fuller (aka wetherspoon), for breakfast and bike stowage.

Honourable Mention: Rebecca, hope the knee gets better so you can enjoy an entire ride not just the start and breakfast.

Top Bottom